Tex-Mex grilling Rub

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Here is a good dry rub for all your summer grilling or tailgate parties and outings.
Tex-Mex grilling dry rub
1/4 cup Kosher salt 2 talblespoons brown sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin 1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder 1/2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp ground Coriander 1 tsp ancho pepper powder
In a blender or with a mortar and pestlegrind all ingredients together.
Store in a plastic bag or storage jar until needed. Makes 1/2 cup.
Use on anything you want to grill and add the classic dry rub flavor.

M

MiniMe

Sounds good RH...I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing. Bon appetit!

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
rockhound
Thanks, I will try your recipe. I love to cook, dehydrate, smoke and am looking for a single dry rub recipe to use in my smoker I will be happy with. I don't cook or taste enough to be able to notice a difference in the recipes. I have tried a few and all seem to taste good, but theres' got to be one that will pop. I noticed coriander in your recipe which differs from a lot of recipes. Maybe it will do it. It's worth trying. Thanks, Wayne

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also try McCormik's grillmasters rubs or my favorite Fiesta rubs/salts :icon_sunny:

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
I was going to mix me a batch of the Tex-Mex rub and then noticed a tsp of ancho pepper powder. I don't have any and don't know right now if I can find any. This may be the ingredient my recipes have been missing?

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
You can just add 1/2 teaspoon chil powder to substitute for the ancho pepper powder. The taste will be similar. The heat although will be different. You can also vary any of these ingredients according to your heat preference. The rub will somewhat penetrate the meat leaving its flavor after being taken off the grill. Hope you enjoy! rockhound

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
OK, sounds good to me, I will try in the morning to get the ancho pepper powder tho. But I bought a brisket today and can't wait to try this rub.
Did a brisket, was a tad spicey for some. I loved it. Did a pork roast and it was great. Today I went to an organic food store and found some dried Ancho Chilies which I ground and Made a double batch of the rub with the new ingredient. Two of my friends do BBQs for hire. Can't wait to give them a taste. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread