Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MIKE’S WORLD FAMOUS PICKLED EGGS

For a 1-gallon batch
Ingredients needed:
1 sanitized 1-gallon capacity glass jar. (large mouth is preferable but not mandatory)
4 dozen eggs-(it takes about 47 eggs to fill a 1 gallon jar. Get enough to replace eggs that don’t peel well. The older eggs peel easier.)
3-1/3 cups white vinegar
2 cup water
Hot, yellow peppers
Purple onion sliced into ¼” thick slices
Garlic pods cut into small chunks
Black peppercorns
Red pimentos (optional-just for color)
Fresh dill

1. Place eggs into a large pot and cover with at least a inch of water over the top of the eggs.
2. Place pot on the stove and turn on high enough to get the water boiling. (old wife’s tale says to add salt to water to peel easier-doubt it)
3. Boil the eggs for 17 minutes. Start the clock after the water first starts to boil. (I put a lid on the pot to make it get hotter quicker. Once the water starts to boil, I remove the lid and place a long, wooden spoon across the top of the pot. Believe it or not this will stop or reduce the amount of water boiling out of the pot. Laugh if you want but it works)
4. After 17 minutes of boiling, remove the pot from the stove and place it in the sink under cold, running water and cool them off enough that they are easy to handle.
5. Peel all of the eggs but don’t put them in the jar yet.
6. Next pour all of the water and vinegar into a small saucepan
7. To this add a few peppercorns, 3 or 4 small chunks of garlic, a sprig or piece of dill, couple rings of sliced onion and a couple yellow peppers
8. Put this mixture on the stove and bring it to a simmer (NOT a boil!) for about 10-15 minutes.
9. As that mixture is simmering you can start putting the eggs into the jar. Gently place a layer of eggs in and then add a couple yellow peppers, a few peppercorns, couple chunks of garlic, a sprig or 2 of dill, a few red pimentos if you are using them, and some onion rings or pieces. (I usually use a knife and put a little slice into the side of each yellow pepper to help it release flavor)
10. Continue layering in this manner until the jar is full.
11. After the mixture that you simmered cools to room temperature, you can slowly pour it into the jar. It should fill or nearly fill the jar. If it’s a little short you can add a little more vinegar or pour some juice from the yellow pepper jar in to fill it up. (I let the mixture cool because I think that if it is poured in hot it causes the eggs to stick together in the jar)
12. Now, place the lid on the jar and keep it in a cool area out of sunlight or you can place it in the fridge. The longer they are in the jar, the better they taste. I like at least 6 or 7 days before I start to eat them but it is hard to wait that long sometimes. I’ve eaten some after 3 days and they were still tasty.
NOTE: If you break the white and expose the yolk, take it out or mixture will get all murky :-[

Attachments

• pickled.jpg
    pickled.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 8,850

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, wasnt sure about making this until I saw the pic...Sold me on it! Will try soon...Steve

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Hard to pickle eggs wrong . Tasty any way you fix em .
We add some canned baby beets . Gives them a pink to red color . Also , we add half to a full cup
of sugar . The eggs firm up and become chewier .

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to try that recipe.

I'm not much of a pickled egg eater, but I do like them, and hubby LOVES them. (I make them about 4-6 times a year).

I do the beet thing, too and the beet juice - plus an onion slice or two, (depending on how many I'm making - a bit - very little, bit, of sugar, and
vinegar. I add one little piece of clove. (just a little flowerette-which I take out after 2 days). Let set until the eggs become purple and the juices become clear - about a week or so, again depending on how big a batch.

Yum - great snacks.

Beth

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks good but i cant. little bit of gas ehhh :-\

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
aa battery said:
Wuss ! Part of the residual pleasure of consuming pickled eggs and beer is being able to share the resulting flatulence with your friends :tongue3:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
aa battery said:
Wuss ! Part of the residual pleasure of consuming pickled eggs and beer is being able to share the resulting flatulence with your friends :tongue3:
at my age ya cant trust a f-rt. :help:

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo .....don't let JuJu see this they'll smell him all they way over in the UK ......with sound ..forget about the napalm an nukes.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tank69 said:
oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo .....don't let JuJu see this they'll smell him all they way over in the UK ......with sound ..forget about the napalm an nukes.

:help: :help: :help: :thumbsup:

S

stefen

aa battery said:
truckinbutch said:
aa battery said:
at my age ya cant trust a f-rt. :help:

Especially a f-rt suprise...thats a f-rt with a lump in it ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread