TREASURE CAMP SAUSAGE GRAVY AND FRY BREAD....Good stuff Maynard!!!!

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is one of the favorites for breakfast when we set up a "Treasure Camp" for a few days around the beaches. The Sausage Gravy recipe came from one of my digging partners mother and the Fry Bread one from an Indian friend of mine (got to give credit where credit is due).

Sausage Gravy: This makes enough to feed 4 very hungry people just double it if you need more.
Use a pot big enough for the amount of gravy you are making.

1lb-Sausage (If you use Jimmy Dean or Country Pride there won't be enough grease to even bother draining off)
2-Heaping tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
1-14oz can of Evaporated Milk (NOT Condensed)
1- 14oz can of Chicken Broth

Brown Sausage in cooking pot and drain off grease if needed. Put in flour and mix well until it is absorbed (prevents clumping and more work). Add Evaporated Milk and Chicken Broth. Stir well until throughly blended. Cook on medium heat until it just begins to boil, stirring occasionally, then simmer on low until the flour taste dissapears, again stirring occasionally. If you like it thicker just add a little more flour. Note: The flour taste simply means it hasn't been cooked enough (good reason for the cook to sample....lol) Simmer a little longer and it will go away.

Indian Fry Bread: (2 pieces each for 4 people) If you want more just increase ingredients proportionately.

2-cups Self-rising Flour
3/4-cup water

In a large mixing bowl blend water & flour until dough starts forming and pulls together. Form into 8 balls about the same size. These can be prepared in advance and put into a plastic container with a lid and kept in a cooler until ready to use.

In a skillet (size depends on how many you want to make at once) put about 1/2" to 3/4" cooking oil and heat on medium. You want it hot but not smoking. Flatten out balls by rolling or patting until pancake size piece is formed. Use your finger to poke a small hole in the center (this keeps it from forming a dome when cooking) cook on one side until it starts to bubble up then turn with a wooden spoon and cook until a golden brown (I like mine a bit darker). Remove from skillet, drain of paper and serve.

Generously cover each piece of the Fry Bread with Sausage Gravy and serve. Unless you've really over done it there won't be any leftovers (seconds will take care of that). Often, I make a really huge pot and freeze the leftovers in meal size containers for later.
Good Eating!!!!
Deepsix

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
With the fry bread, you can use the normal seasonings for tacos and make Indian Tacos or even better, drizzle a little honey on the fry bread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions