Ozarks
1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cube beef bouillon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch pepper
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Brown beef in a large skillet. Stir in flour, bouillon, salt and pepper. Simmer together for about 5 minutes or until flour is absorbed. Gradually stir in milk and Worcestershire sauce. Bring all to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve hot!

T

tchimes

Darn Gypsy bet me to it.

But here is a version I use with sausage. Pour over biscuits for the morning or crispy fried hash brown potatoes, ummmmmmmmmm ggggggoooooooooood!

INGREDIENTS:
1 pound ground pork sausage
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons chopped onion
1 dash Worcestershire sauce

DIRECTIONS:
Brown sausage in a large skillet; drain fat. Pour flour directly on sausage to coat (this will prevent lumps). Add milk, to desired consistency. Stir in the poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, onion and Worcestershire sauce and heat through.

S

stefen

The SOS I had as a kidlet was chipped beef and gravy on white bread.

Never heard of using ground hamburger.

Now biscuits and gravy is another thing altogether.

M

mchamby

both of those recipes sound darn good, my mom made it either with the ground beef or the chipped beef depending on how much moneyshe had to spend on groceries. chipped beef is expensive for small amt. I didn't like it on toast, I liked it on mashed potatoes

S

stefen

Regardless, I never liked SOS regardless of its contents.

Mom always said eat up because there are starving children in China...

In that case Mom, wrap them up and I'll drop them in the mail box ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My mom always said that too. Except it was Ethiopia .No matter what we hated we had to eat it. You didn't have a choice...because of those dang starving kids in Ethiopia.....Things were pretty rough growing up and money was always tight.I think my mom pulled every weed in the yard and cooked it somehow.
Then I started thinking about it...dang...after watching those commercials on TV asking for people to donate money to Ethiopia, I thought maybe we should just move there. I told my mom that if we moved at least I would get three square meals a day,a fine education and a birthday card ..all for two dollars a month!...hahahah

S

stefen

Had the hard boiled eggs and gravy on toast...

Thank God that the depression and war era food delights are long gone.

S

stefen

Try mashed potatoe sandwiches...just potatoes and white bread....Ummmmm :P

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
;D I feel deprived when I run out of Horseradish for my Steak Sandwich! :'(

Joe

My Fav Sandwich is still Sardines & Strawberry Jam on Garlic Bread! mmmmmmmm ;)

M

MiniMe

I use a medium cream sauce also, but we use chipped venison as the meat. It's sooooo good.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Talking about the starving people in Ethiopia,Evil Kneival is going to make one more death defying feat ----
He's going to try and ride across Ethiopia with a ham sandwich strapped to his ankle!

S

stefen

WV Hillbilly said:
Hey stefen , my mother liked mashed potato sandwiches , she usually added thin sliced onion to hers .

Sounds like your mother was a gourmet cook...compared to mine ;D

My mother came from Europe and cooked the crap out of everything because they didn't have refrigeration...never heard of spices, especially salt and pepper...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
stefen said:
The SOS I had as a kidlet was chipped beef and gravy on white bread.

Never heard of using ground hamburger.

Now biscuits and gravy is another thing altogether.

thats the way i remember it too, with chipped beef. man i hate this stuff! ;D my dad loves it and used to make us eat it when he would cook it when we were kids. i still hate it to this day................. sos bleeeccchhh! :P

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
The ground beef(hamburger) was,is,a military thing.All these recepies and no one has told me how long to toast the bread and when is it black and hard enough?Another military thing.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If you like those recipes and sandwiches, you should try my Grandad's favorite- The Hunk O' Cheese sandwich.

2 slices of bread
A Hunk O' Cheese (at least 1/4 inch thick, 1/2 inch is even better)

"Put the cheese in between the bread and eat it! Now get back to your fishing pole, you might have a bite!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread