Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Best Ever Chocolate Fudge!

:P 1 Can Evaporated Milk 1 pt. Marshmallow Cream
2 Tbsp. Butter 2 6oz. Pkg Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
41/2 Cups Sugar 4 Squares Bakers Unsweetened Chocolate
1/8 tsp. Salt
2 Cups Chopped Nuts (opt.)

Combine Milk, Butter, Sugar, & Salt in Large Saucepan. Bring to a boil & boil 5 min., stirring Constantly. Pour over remaining ingredients in large
bowl & beat until chocolate is melted. Turn into 2 greased 8 in. sq. pans. Cool & Cut in squares. Makes 4 lbs. Excellent! :o

Joe

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
"Cavity Finder Fudge" aka "Chocolate Sugar"--was: Best Ever Chocolate Fudge!)

That sounds good, specially if the marshmallow creme doesn't melt completely. hmmm.

Here's a "traditional" version, used before marshmallow creme version.

In heavily buttered saucepan, stir

2 cups sugar,
1/4 cup cocoa
pinch salt

add:
1 cup milk

Cook over slow heat until fudge reaches "soft ball" stage (a lump of the stuff clings to a ball form in cold water, but flattens out some when the water is poured off).

Plop a Tablespoon of butter on top, and 1/2 - 1 teaspoon vanilla. Do Not Stir it in, but let the stuff cool for maybe 10 minutes. The bottom of the pan should have cooled enough to touch with out burning yourself. (Cool enough to set it on a towel on your lap is what I gauge it by). While the pan cools, butter a plate or pan thoroughly to pour the fudge into later.

Stir the (now melted) butter and vanilla into the fudge, then start beating the stuff. Rest your arm every now and again, and when the fudge seems way thicker than when you started resting your arm, it's *this* close to pouring into the pan. Beat just a little more, then pour into the buttered plate or pan. Let cool, scoring the top with a buttered tableknife while still warm - it makes it easier to cut once it's cooled.

I admit, the trickiest part for me is knowing when to pour the fudge into the plate. I've had a few batches where it set up in the pan. That was fun - not!

Enjoy
Nan

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best Ever Chocolate Fudge!

Nan,

That was some very good chocolate lovers' fudge. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!!

;) RR

S

stefen

I happen to be an International Certified Chocolate Fudge Judge (ICCFJ) so if this is the "Best Ever', please send four (4) pounds cut into 1 inch X 2 inch rectangles wrapped in air-tight plastic containers to 2001 East F...

Sounds good, and the proof is in the pudding (spelled FUDGE).

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

River Rat said:
Nan,

That was some very good chocolate lovers' fudge. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us!!

;) RR

Thank you! I was glad to share it; it was one my mom found in a magazine or the newspaper or something - back when she was a kid (1920-ish - a long, LONG time before marshmallow creme!)

HH
Nan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread