Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a problem with fresh bakery bread going bad after 3 or 4 days. It may sit on the counter that long before I have a chance to serve it and about half the time it has mold on it. I've thrown away more good bread because of that. Any ideas as to how to keep it fresh ? Suggestions are appreciated. Monty

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
you could try refrigerating it. that will slow mold down for a little while longer. the only thing is you will have cold bread!

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mold usually grows where it's moist. Try drying it out first. Of course you will have to eat it dry then.
If you don't like dry bread, soak it in a little water just before eating it. Or, better yet, make toast out of it. (but then don't soak it first).
Or even better yet, throw it out and buy some fresh bread and eat it up before it goes bad.
Glad to be of help Monty.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Feed it to the geese.

Eat the geese.

(Save a little of the bread for making stuffing.)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty,

Are you talking fresh bakery bread? This does not have the ingredients as the names brands (Holsum, Sunbean) to retard the mold growth.

I know what you mean, I can't buy a small loaf (like 12 slices).

Refrigerate, warm up to room temp to make sandwiches or that one slice slathered in butter. Make French toast or bread pudding...let it dry a little, crumble and sprinkle with seasoning to make croutons.

Or you feed to birds or cattle.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought two loaves of black rye bread for ham sandwiches over the holidays. It was from a deli and was wonderfuly moist and fresh tasting after I hand sliced it. The next day it looked like a pennicilin farm! The slicing speeded things up it seems? Guess I'll have to buy it and serve it the same day or go back to that stale dry commercial junk. Yuck, I'd rather have lightbread than that crap. >:( Monty

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I bake alot and have solved this problem by freezing the bread. When I need a slice, I take it out,slice the desired amount and microwave it just enough to warm it through. The freezing also helps making slicing easier without squishing my bread loaf.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H Look at it this way, mold only grows on edible food sooo you are ahead of the game. Remember we are stuffing too many chemical preservatives into ourselves daily to be happy. It has a payoff eventually.

Put a bit of real butter and some margarine in saucers and leave them out for a few days, let nature and the critters have afield day..After You can throw the margarine down the happy seat since it will be intact and the same. while the butter will be full of icky thingies Then eat only real butter, it has what your body actually needs, fats among other things...

Gypsy's idea is what we do.

Tropical; Tramp

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Also .....when you freeze bread...you should always put it in brown paper bags....not just throw it in with the plastic wrapper....it keeps the bread fresher and lasts longer.

M

MiniMe

If you have one of those Food Savers, they work great for saving anything from mildewing and lasting much longer. Works great on luch meats, cheeses and just about anything. I seal my hot dog rolls, since they never get eaten all at one time. I put them in a food processor bag, process and seal and I've had them last over a week on the counter and more in the refrigerator. I use the food processor for all my freezing - no freezer burn.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw the infomercial on TV about that food saver thing. I always wondered who watches those silly things and I guess the answer is me! I wondered if it really worked, especially about freezer burn.

Gypsy, I usually freeze bread too, but I was planning on feeding this rye bread to my family within the next couple of days to make lunches with ham and swiss, and thought it would keep, but nooooo. Guess I'll keep it refrigerated next time and see how that works. Monty

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.
After going through a divorce about 40 years ago, after 15 years of marriage, my Mom called me & ask if I was eating my greens. I told her yes........I ate the bread the other day.lol

arkhunter

Jun 12, 2006
little rock,arkansas
Detector(s) used
whites-garret
Monty said:
I saw the infomercial on TV about that food saver thing. I always wondered who watches those silly things and I guess the answer is me! I wondered if it really worked, especially about freezer burn.

Gypsy, I usually freeze bread too, but I was planning on feeding this rye bread to my family within the next couple of days to make lunches with ham and swiss, and thought it would keep, but nooooo. Guess I'll keep it refrigerated next time and see how that works. Monty

hey the food savers are great...and work on lots more than food(papers/books/matches/pistols/more)

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Cover your bread with a towel if you leave it on the counter to exclude daylight! Or use a breadbox. It will retard the growth of mold. It will give you 2 more days. And don't leave the bag open when making sandwiches, Take the bread out, close the bag, and cover it with the towel, then make the sandwiches. Try it.

Freezing makes the breads texture turn cr@ppy.

Bluezman

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Also try making sure to keep out any excess air when closing the bag. Moist bread and warm air make a perfect petri experiment. Store the bread in a cool area. Just a thought. During the summer, we refrigerate any leftover hotdog buns or h.burger buns as well as the bread.

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Good point about the moist air. I don't squish the bread, but I sort of manipulate the bag until I have the least amount of air in it before I seal it up or twist/fold the bag under.
Bluezman

P.S. Putting it in the refrigerator not only keeps it cool, but also keeps it dark ....yes the little light does go off when you close the door. I checked it out extensively; scientific experiment #8193456285VidCamInFridg. Or was that Good Eats with Alton Brown?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions