Smoked Venison Hind Quarter

M

MiniMe

I have a small bbq pro charcoal smoker and have been smoking meats this summer, I've done pork butt and ribs so far. I had a small venison hind quarter in the freezer that would fit on the grate so I figured I'd try one for my daughters 21st birthday party since she and her husband love venison. Turned out pretty good.

Dry Rub:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
3 Tbs. onion powder
3 Tbs. garlic powder
2 Tbs. dry mustard
1 Tbs. ground pepper
2 Tbs. coarse salt
2 - 3 cups hickory chips/chunks soaked

For water pan:
2 cloves of garlic
Apple Juice

Rub hind quarter with rub, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours (over night is better) before starting to cook. Soak hickory chips or chunks in water for at least 1 hour before getting ready to cook. Fill bottom pan with charcoal and when covered with white ash its ready to start cooking. Fill water pan with apple juice and add garlic cloves. Place water pan in smoker and put hind quarter on top grate. Add your soaked chips to coals. Cover and let it go. Adjust your door opening to keep temperature at ideal range of 200 to 250 degrees. Have extra charcoal on hand to add to keep temperature and coals going. Watch the apple juice pan, when it gets low, add enough water to bring back to top of pan. Try not to remove lid while smoking. Takes a lot of time to keep temp regulated and liquid pan filled, but it's worth it.

Smoke for approximately 4 to 6 hours. Check meat temp at 4 hours to see if it's done (140 to 160).

Remove when done. Shred meat, put in crock pot and add your favortie BBQ sauce, let cook on low for at least 1 hour, longer for a more tender pulled venison.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread