Toads!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I got such a great response on my other request,I'll try this one.My granmother who raised me fixed these back in the late 30's and 40's.She called them 'toads'.I've never found anyone yet that has heard of them.She fried them in her iron skillet,sometimes they got a little black on both sides but we ate them anyway.They were about 21/2 - 3" in diameter and about 5/8" thick.They had whole kernal corn in them and the inside resembled,in looks,like the inside of a glazed donut.We just picked 'em up and ate them and sometimes put a little syrup on them,but they were not like pancakes.Anyone know?

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Could it be this:

CORN FRITTERS

1 can whole kernel corn (17 oz.)
1 lg. egg
2 c. Bisquick
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Cooking oil or shortening

Drain liquid from corn into large bowl. Beat egg into liquid. Slowly add Bisquick to liquid, stirring until smooth. Stir in corn, salt and pepper.
Heat a thin coat of cooking oil in large iron skillet to about 365 to 370 degrees. Drop corn mixture by the spoonful into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides, adding oil as necessary. Drain on a rack or paper towels.

Bluezman

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks,Bluezman,but I don't think so.They were not fritters but close.We didn't have Bisquick in those days,everything from scratch.Maybe I'll try the fritters tho,they sound good too.Thanks again.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My grandma used to make us these and we called them toads....I know its not the same as yours but they are easy and quick

1 cup Karo syrup
1 cup sugar
12 oz. peanut butter
6 cups cornflakes

Boil the first two ingredients. As soon as it begins to boil, stir in the peanut butter and cornflakes. Drop immediately on wax paper. You have to work quickly before the candy hardens. Enjoy!

OP
OP
warsawdaddy

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Thanks,Gypsie.Four ingredients I might be able to handle!But watch out now if I end up with peanutbutter and cornflakes stuck all over me.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I had a job in high school at an all-you-can-eat fish and chicken place. When I got promoted to cook it was my job to make the fritters--5 gallons at a time. We used flour, baking powder, corn, salt, buttermilk, and eggs.

Split them open, put a little honey on them.....mmmmmhhhhhh.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sound kinda like a pattie form of corn hush puppies -- or corn nuggets by some folks -- (sometimes called "corn dodgers" -- in the "old" john wayne movie -- rooster cogburn* )-- they'd cook up a batch of em put in in a bag and eat em on the go as they went along

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread