artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My husband just brought home a couple of packages of pheasant from the restaurant where he works and I have no idea of what to do with them. He's a chef, and so of course, he wants to smother them in cream sauce, which is not my thing. Does anyone have a better idea of what to do with em?

M

MiniMe

sorry so late on the post. I posted this recipe in the recipe section of the forum a long time ago. We love it

4 Pheasant Breasts
4 thin slices fully cooked ham or prosciutto
4 thin slices of Swiss cheese
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 Tbs. water

Remove skin and bones from breasts. Flatten each breast to 1/4-inch thickness between plastic wrap or waxed paper. Place 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese on each breast. Roll up carefully, beginning at narrow end. Secure with toothpicks or skewers. Mix flour, salt and pepper. Coat rolls with flour mixture. Dip rolls into egg and roll in bread crumbs.

Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Cook rolls in oil 5 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until light brown. Add water. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until juices run clear.

OP
OP
artemis moon

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds absolutely fantastic. My husband made the pheasant a while back now (marinated and grilled), but I'm going to keep this recipe and give it a try next time we have some pheasant..it's probably good with chicken too. Thank you!

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
1/4 cup Scotch whiskey
2 oranges, cut into 1/8ths
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) pheasants
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
6 slices bacon, halved

Whiskey-Cumberland Sauce:
1 cup Scotch whiskey
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 cup red currant jelly
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne

Serving suggestion: Wild rice

For the pheasant: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a bowl, toss the oranges with 3 tablespoons of the whisky. Rub the pheasants with the remaining 1 tablespoon of whisky and lightly season with salt and pepper. Stuff each pheasant with the oranges and 1 sprig of fresh thyme, and close the cavities with skewers. Wrap the breast of each pheasant with the bacon and set in a roasting pan. Roast the pheasants until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees F., about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes.

For the Whiskey Cumberland Sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the whisky, orange juice, and orange zest, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 50 percent in volume to about 3/4 cup. Add the currant jelly, salt, and cayenne, and stir well.

Cook until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a decorative bowl. Cool slightly before serving.

Remove the bacon from the pheasant breasts, if desired, and cut each bird in half. Discard the oranges and thyme in the cavity. Serve hot with Whisky-Cumberland Sauce and wild rice.

courtesy of: Emeril Lagasse

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread