Pemmican

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Pemmican has been called natures perfect food. Fur traders,explorers,expeditions,trappers all carried Pemmican as a ready food source. It supplied the body with total nutrition, providing all you need, except water. Four ounces provides a full days nutrition.
You can use bison,elk,moose,antelope,or deer. The pioneers dried the raw meat in the sun,but you can heat it in the oven on low heat until hard.
2-3 pounds of meat,cut in thin strips, dried hard and pulverized into a powder
same amount of beef fat(50/50) ratio ,melted on the stove on low heat to avoid burning
you can also add fruit (cranberries,bluberries,etc.) to make a different tasting treat
pour melted fat in a pan, and stir in meat and or berries
let cool and cut into 2 inch squares(about 4 oz)
pioneers carried their in rawhide pouches, but any type of wrapper or container wiil work

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
The original recipe called for any large wild game animal. If you use domesticated animal
meat you would need to cut back on the fat content about half, as domesticated beef,lamb,goat
or sheep already have fat in their meat. That is part of the reason for adding that much fat content
to the wild game meat.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Thanks for the tip Rock. I may give this a try as I don't have a "wild game palette" or however you spell it!

thudson

Apr 7, 2006
Nebraska Panhandle
Sorry for sounding dumb , but what exactly are you talking about when you say beef fat? Are you talking about raw trimming of fat off of say a steak and then melting that in a pot ? Or are you talking about beef tallow , and where would you get that? I want to make some but am unsure about the beef fat. HELP
Tyler

OP
OP
R

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Beef fat is tallon from a butcher shop. But any fat from beef or lamb could work if heated to
a consistancy of gelatin at slow heat without burning.

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
I don't want to contradict anyone, but I seen to recall most references to pemmican I've read over the years was made in a dry powder consistency and carried in small leather pouches. Was there a difference between tribes or something ? I agree that all references stated the very small amount being able to refresh and sustain a person for a days time even in forced march situations.
I personally would prefer a dry transport situation if possible.

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's good, but with all that fat you wouldn't live long enough to need any water. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread