Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nothing but Bambi Jerky for me Bomber...and of course the beer.

M

MiniMe

LOL, plehbah.

Bomber, we make venison jerky all the time, actually civil makes it. You could probably use the same recipe we use just substitute the venison with beef, it's in the recipe section. Best jerky I've ever had. Beer before making it, while making it and while eating it, takes a 12 pack, easy. :)

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey mini,looks like we use the same amout of "liquid"in our receipes

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
bomber,

Try this alternative: Find some cooked roast beef for a good price at a deli or market. I try to get RB meat ends at a big market deli after the weekend,it's a lot cheaper. You don't really care if the slices are perfect anyway. Make your jerky using the RB. It comes out brittle and not tough like raw meat does. I like it much better. Joe

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
plehbah, that was pretty funny.

Enjoyed some antelope jerky once. Lean and juicy. Had a bit of lime in it.
Good with a Corona. ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I cut game for many years... I never met an antelope that I liked... ick. Prolly not bad as jerkey though. Some folks swear by it...

Elk meat is damned good, moose is way better, and buffalo is best... IMO.

I'm no fan of venison, even corn fed I hafta work to enjoy it.

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet! i figure we pick a BEER drinking tnetter(wine and jerky,no way)send him or her unmarked packages,maybe everybody gets a # (just a couple pieces of jerky should do)give them a couple days or weeks and let'um judge..........suggestions?

M

MiniMe

Can I submit more than 1 type of jerky or only 1 entry per person??

OP
OP
bomber

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure,what do you think?

M

MiniMe

I would say no more than 2? Does the judge have to meet certain criteria to able to be a judge? :D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
Does Soy Jerky count? :o
did i read this right ???
hold on im making cookies i think are are burning
i make them with egg beaters,carob chunks, rice flour,spleenda,and powdered water
OH GOOD THEY ARE ON FIRE i thought i was going to have to eat them :-X

jgolo

Feb 5, 2008
You can also try some 'exotic' types of jerky like fish jerky, lamb jerky, and ostrich jerky. I find that a lot of recipes that work for one type of meat often work for others, with the exception of fish jerky, which i'm really careful about the marinade. Some flavors just don't mix :)
Check out The Jerky FAQ at http://www.jerkyfaq.com as they have a lot of recipes for jerky and marinades for all sorts of meats. Venison jerky is great, but i wish they had something about alligator jerky, i've never made it and as I assume it's safe to make, i think it would be cool to try. perhaps use a recipe for poultry or something?

never tried soy jerky tho, but i assume tofu might work just fine if you wanted to.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
EDDE said:
Felinepeachy said:
Does Soy Jerky count? :o
did i read this right ???
hold on im making cookies i think are are burning
i make them with egg beaters,carob chunks, rice flour,spleenda,and powdered water
OH GOOD THEY ARE ON FIRE i thought i was going to have to eat them :-X
:D :D :D

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anybody make there own?i use flank steak,when it drys its like chewing tree bark,your jaw hurts after a while.jerky and a cold beer... ;D

Bomber,

I just found this old tread, so I don't know if you have developed a muscular jaw by now, and your jerky may seem to be more tender. Anyway this is what I learned from a Kickapoo here in Texas.

You are supposed to tenderize the meat first. The indians used to beat the crap out of it to break the grain of the meat. Now we have a wide variety of hand held meat tenderizers, and there are some crank type which are nice when making a large batch of jerky.

Then they would dip the strips of tenderized meat in a light salt brine. This would ensure less wasted salt, and an even coat to prevent spoilage.

Nowadays you can season the meat to your liking, after the brine dip.

Homar

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread