THAI GOLD is pure 24K fun!!!

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
'THAI GOLD' is pure 24K fun!!!

For anyone looking for a new "lead" on a great read check out the above title. Originally it came out as a hard cover 20 years ago called 'THE THAI COLLECTION', but then when they brought it out in paperback they changed the title to 'THAI GOLD'.
Author Jason Schoonover (himself a life-long successful TH'er) really brings together a great tale of intrigue, action, adventure and realism. Set in Bangkok the book takes full advantage of segues into that whole scene also.... :wink: The plot moves quickly, the characters are like people you know and the overall feeling is --- WOW! It's amazing how a little known author like this can write much better than guys who are much more well-known like Clive Cussler! Check out his web site at: www.jasonschoonover.com I guarantee you that you'll love this book. I've read 'The Manilla Galleon' which was also a good read and to a lesser extent so was 'Opium Dream'. I can't recommend 'Thai Gold' highly enough though.
HH
-spyguy

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 'THAI GOLD' is pure 24K fun!!!

Wow can you say Movie Material!
What a Great book.

My wife is from Thailand and she says when she was young, she and one of her brothers were digging in their yard to make a fish pond and they found Gold Nuggets! But since it was just raw and not jewelry or anything they just didn't think too much of it. Also that was almost 50 years ago.

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000

my wife is Thai. Last year her Mom gave her a 5 Baht chain for Christmas. 75 grams of gold!! Talk about heavy!!

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon

Thanks for this tip. I'm not familiar with Jason Schoonover.

I always found Clive Cussler tends to make his heroes a bit too superhuman and the villains too villainous, sort of like James Bond stuff. This is fine in an 'Indiana Jones' kind of way, but Tom Clancy is more to my liking.

I'll have to give your recommendation a try. :icon_study:

Jay

*Update*
I just checked our library online and they have one by Jason titled "The Bangkok Collection" 1988. It must be the same book.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

Saturna:

According to the author's website that is the same book. Reviewers of The Bangkok Collection kept calling it "Connection" (like The French Connection) and he got tired of explaining that it wasn't a book about drugs.

Certainly speaks well for those careful reviewers who spent so much time reading the book, doesn't it?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

jayallday14

Jul 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Minelab Excal 1000

Goodyguy said:
jayallday14 said:
my wife is Thai. Last year her Mom gave her a 5 Baht chain for Christmas. 75 grams of gold!! Talk about heavy!!

5 Baht is that all she paid? Why thats only .15 cents American at todays rate.

hahahaha!! I wish thats all it cost! No Baht chains come in different Baht sizes. The higher the number the more gold there is. A 5 baht chain is roughly worth 3500-4000 dollars. We have been married 16 years, and I have only bought her 1 to 2 baht size chains! Small in comparison to the on her Mom bought her.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008

jayallday14:

When I was working down in St. Thomas in the early 70's I bought my sister a nice gold chain. For years I'd been giving her kind of crummy Christmas presents - and when she got a glass and wood cheese server from both me and my brother that was it. Time to get her something nice.

That chain is probably the second best investment I ever made. The "James Bond" Rolex Submariner I bought for myself is certainly the first.

And - like the fine gold chain your wife has - how many investments can we wear?

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

I just order "Thai Gold" from my local library. We are still in the heart of winter here in Northern Ohio, so I am running out of good fiction reads. Thanks!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jayallday14 said:
Goodyguy said:
jayallday14 said:

5 Baht is that all she paid? Why thats only .15 cents American at todays rate.

hahahaha!! I wish thats all it cost! No Baht chains come in different Baht sizes. The higher the number the more gold there is. A 5 baht chain is roughly worth 3500-4000 dollars. We have been married 16 years, and I have only bought her 1 to 2 baht size chains! Small in comparison to the on her Mom bought her.

Sawat dii khrup!
I was confused because Baht is also Thai currency. :icon_scratch:
So when I asked my wife about a 5 Baht chain she set me straight. I'ts like comparing Baht weight to penny weight and do the conversion in weight not in currency. Now I get it.
Phom sia jai kortoht dooay-na khrup :)

Aint lernin' fun, :icon_study: :icon_sunny:
Buddy~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread