"The Gold of Exodus" by Howard Blum

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Gold of Exodus" by Howard Blum

I mentioned this book in another thread. The author claimed to be well set money-wise and looks for adventures around the world; especially treasure hunts. According to him, he got a lead on the gold that Moses made his followers throw away after they turned to worshiping idols. Most of us has read / heard the story of the Exodus as told in the Bible. The lead came by way of a questionable character who'd been kicked out of Saudi Arabia when he was caught poking around an area he wasn't supposed to be in and doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. The Saudis put him out of the country and told him if he returned, he'd be executed. ( note: Saudi Arabia does not issue Tourist Visas. If you go there, you must have an approved Work Visa or a Visitor's Visa that is personally vouched for by a Saudi citizen. That citizen is required to monitor your every move while you're in country and is personally responsible for your conduct. I discovered this when I was being deployed to Saudi back in the 1980s to the Elf-1 operation) Mr. Blum's book is his personal diary of his adventures experienced when he followed up on that "tip" received from that questionable character. He includes many black & white photos of the places he went on his quest for the gold. There are photos of the 12 pillars, that God told Moses to build, and Arin's altar, where he placed the golden calf idol he'd made for the rebelling Israelites, at the foot of Mount Sinai ( the true Mount Sinai that is located in the Northwest corner of what is now Saudi Arabia) This is a very interesting book.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "The Gold of Exodus" by Howard Blum

I have often thought about what a great place this would be to treasure hunt. According to the Bible the Hebrews pillaged the Egyptians as they left captivity, of all their gold. Mt. Sinai holds many of these treasures and of all the places in the world I would like to hunt it would be this area. Does anyone out there know the King of Saudi Arabia?

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Shiloh1,
I need to correct my first posting. The author of this book is Howard Blum, but the man who lived this trip is named Larry Williams. Mr. Williams got an ex-SWAT man named Bob Cornuke to be his partner in this trip. It's been a while since I read the book and when I looked at it, sitting on my bookshelf, and saw the name "Blum", I automatically put him as the man who'd had this adventure.

The reason no one has found that gold so far is because the location presently called Mt. Sinai is the wrong place. The true mountain that Mr. Williams found has a Saudi military facility (radar) built on and around it and is named Jabal al Lawz. You can find it using Google Earth. One of the photos he took and had put in this book, is of the dry riverbed into which Moses had the idol-worshipping, backsliders toss the gold they'd had Arin make into the calf. It was ,"the brook that descended out of the mount." (Deut.9:21) Williams found the cleft in the rock where Moses stood on the mount (Exod 33:22); the top of the mount is blackened, and he found the cave of Elijah (1 Kings 19:8 & 9) He also found and photographed the boundary markers, or "bounds" set by Moses at the foot of the mountain.(Exod. 19:12, 21-23); and the 12 pillars (Exod. 24:4) and the Altar built by Moses (Exod. 20:24-26; 24:4)

This book is diary of how he got onto the lead; who he travelled with; and how they travelled the route, the directions, and in the same travel times as written in the KJV of the Bible. They found the waypoints (such as the Springs of Marah) that are still there today. This book is a truly interesting "read".
The Saudis probably know the significance of that location and have "sewn" it up by putting a secret military installation on it so as to have complete control over the area. They would not destroy any of the biblical "things" there because those things are just as important to Muslims as they'd be to the rest of us. They revere the lineage of Abraham back through Moses. After all, Abraham was the grandfather of the Arab people.

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I've read this book!! Fascinating to say the least. I'd bet the Saudi's have looked for this gold! Considering that they know the significance of Mt. Sinai and the evidence there, they'd have to know that the entire story was true, and why pass up all that gold right there in their own backyard! HowEVER. That doesn't mean that they HAVE tried to find it either. Only one way to know..lemme know how you fare! LOL..

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pyledriver, those black and white photos in the book really "made" it didn't they? They are what made the book a standout. Without them the written word wouldn't have had the impact and would have left me wondering if the story was a bunch of bunk. :read2:

pyledriver

Dec 5, 2007
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, CTX3030, SDC2300, GoFind 60, Whites TM-808, Dip Needle, EYES
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

I also have another version of the story with color photos! I didn't read it though..LOL..just looked at the pics! YES, the pictures really do verify what Cornuke says he saw. This is a nice tie-in to a video I saw awhile back about the 'bridge' across the Red Sea and the chariots littering the bottom!! Seems like this kind of information would 'rock' the world...but no.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too many atheists and seudo-christians would end up with mud on their faces if solid proof was presented to the world. That would be one more thing to prove the Bible as a true historical document and that God is real. Whooooooa. Now God's rules for us take on more meaning and will have consequences if we don't obey them. ;D Those streetcorner hustlers masquerading as preachers would start sweating like $2 wh----. Sort of like the Whores of Babalon? :laughing9:
Sorry, I got a bit off topic. :dontknow:
This is a good book and whoever finds that gold will have things way beyond monetary value, but if price tags were attached, that would be some serious coins. ;D

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

I am going to order a copy from E-bay. I read Howard Blums "Wanted" The hunt for Nazis in America a few years ago. I enjoyed it.

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mr. Blum is a good writer and carries the story along very well without being "wordy". I haven't read that other book, "Wanted" , but I would imagine it is a good "read", too.
Snake35, I believe you will really enjoy the "Gold" book. When, Mr. Williams tells how he and Mr. Cornuke slipped onto that site and climbed the path to the top of the mount; then described what they saw it put chills up my back. Then, when they heard the guard patrol coming up to the top, they slipped over the edge of a ledge and found Elijah's cave. Mr. Cornuke stayed inside the cave for the rest of the night, but Mr. Williams wrote that SOMETHING was telling him to stay out; so he settled in as best as he could, outside on the ledge.
Yep, a very good book.

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006

I've read it at least twice. It's a very good book. As to the gold of the Exodus, if it was put in front of me, I wouldn't even touch it. I get a vibe that it's cursed somehow....

OP
OP
Shortstack

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tend to agree with you, Zephyr. That gold was the focus of Moses' anger, and thusly God's (since Moses was speaking for God at that time). But, it would make a fantastic display for a museum in Israel. But then again, God might not like it being put into a museum because it would become another icon and could take away peoples' attention from where it SHOULD be focused.

It sure would be a world shaking problem.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia

I just ordered a hardback copy off E-bay for 4.99 shipped to me. I will post my thoughts as soon as i get through with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread