Are You Writing A Book?

• Been Published ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It actually has more than Pictures ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Okay Gypsy, here goes.....Currently doing a book about a treasure ship in New york City. In 1992 I wrote a book called "New York City's Buried past" A Guide To Excavated New York City's Revolutionary War Artifacts. In 1994 I did "Bottles of Old New York" A Pictorial Guide To Early New York City Bottles 1680-1920. Both books are out of print, If any of the readers own them hold on to them, as they go up in value every year. My sole purpose was to share and document information about New York City's Revolutionary period artifacts, bottles,buttons etc. A very important period in our history. Both titles are used by amateurs and professionals alike as research sources.
Any questions concerning my books should be addressed to:

R&L Publishing
130 Church St. #259
New York, N.Y. 10007

Regards Simon

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
SimonLakeSub said:
Okay Gypsy, here goes.....Currently doing a book about a treasure ship in New york City. In 1992 I wrote a book called "New York City's Buried past" A Guide To Excavated New York City's Revolutionary War Artifacts. In 1994 I did "Bottles of Old New York" A Pictorial Guide To Early New York City Bottles 1680-1920. Both books are out of print, If any of the readers own them hold on to them, as they go up in value every year. My sole purpose was to share and document information about New York City's Revolutionary period artifacts, bottles,buttons etc. A very important period in our history. Both titles are used by amateurs and professionals alike as research sources.

R&L Publishing
130 Church St. #259
New York, N.Y. 10007

Regards Simon

The books you wrote are available here... these are just the links I grabbed, there are a few others out there too:

http://www.alibris.com/search/detail.cfm?S=R&bid=9022470117&cm_mmc=shopcompare-_-base-_-isbn-_-na

http://www.amazon.ca/Bottles-Old-Ne...5527226?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174622387&sr=1-8

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
SimonLakeSub said:

R&L Publishing
130 Church St. #259
New York, N.Y. 10007

Regards Simon

That is excellent and thank you for sharing the info. I definitely love anything about the Rev war so will be trying to get these....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
me ive had major block lately >:( :-\ :-X

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to sign autographs on cheque book but plastic card it does now.

i,m not the only "own legend in a lunchbox" ;D ;D ;D

tinpan

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Hi Gypsy! Just wanted to add a little to your thread to try and keep it going. ;) Nothing to brag about but I've had a few small articles and pictures published in Outdoorsy mags a couple of decades ago. ;D

In the last decade, I've been pretty busy building websites, with mostly Outdoorsy slants. I write what I want, when I want and how I want, as well as, how often I want. 8) Now of course, I've had to learn to market too, so that others can find my stuff. I like the whole idea somehow, of being in control of where my writing can go. ;)

Ya know Gypsy, on most of my websites, I've added bits and pieces of encouragement here and there, about writing, to try it out too, for themselves. I try to get folks even really more into it, whatever "it" is to them and let them know that they too can write! I prove to them, by example, that you don't need a handful of diplomas or a big break in life, or big bucks etc. to string a few thoughts together on paper (or a monitor) so that others understand and even perhaps, relate to, what you are trying to convey. Practice is the KEY to the whole enchilada though. If you don't write , it is GUARANTEED that you will not be a writer. ::)

If you can talk, fairly well, you CAN become a Writer! I always write the way I talk! Again for clarification or, if you need proof that websites aren't all that hard to make, I'm on Google and always near the top for my keywords. ;)

Nice to see SO many writers in here, eh Gypsy? :) Hey, wait a second, where's the Tyman? ;)

lb

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
I wrote a book that was published, am currently working on two more, and a had variety of articles on various topics published and host a radio program.

T

TreasureTales

IndianRiverSonrise said:
I wrote a book that was published, am currently working on two more, and a had variety of articles on various topics published and host a radio program.

I can tell from your posts that you have a good radio voice. ;) (OK, I don't know what that means, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Welcome to TNet.)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im with OKIE on this one.About the only thing i write is my name on checks and loan papers!!!
Sometimes i can even color inside the lines with my crayon :D
But there are many good writers on here and i enjoy reading there posts...And Gypsy when you finish those 2 books you better get plenty of copies because all of us want an autographed one!!!!!

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
;D Gypsy, Ya, I second what Teverly said above, about yer books. Many, many in here will want one each of 'em so build a s__itload of 'em fer us. ho kay?. 8)

Hi IndianRiverSunrise! :) Thank you for gracein' our Forum Sir! A real Pleasure to read of yer accomplishments and really diggin' the Radio "live" experience you've attained. 8) Man, that would be SO Kool... :o The power which YOU friend, can generate to folks out there, is simply unfathomable to me. Almost, as they say, "without limits", as it were. :)

So, who else out there in TNet land has written or dreamed of writing fer pay? C'mon, fess up now, don't be shy here. Gypsy and a passel of others now, would love to know... ;D

Oh ya, p.s. I should have mentioned a couple or three of my keywords in my previous post so you could Google me, if ya'll wanted to. :-[ So, some keywords are, larrybass, simply larry, canadian outdoorsy webmaster, and you can even try cool outdoorsy webmaster where I had 2'nd page, 13'th page and 19'th page on Google results, out of 389 hits, for that term the last time I checked it... ;)

Cheers all,

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
TreasureTales said:
IndianRiverSonrise said:

I can tell from your posts that you have a good radio voice. ;) (OK, I don't know what that means, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Welcome to TNet.)

As my daddy always told me, "Appearances can be deceiving." ;)

Thanks for the welcome. TNet is great.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
HOLA Gypsyheart,
Yes I write too, as Mrs Oro "outted" me - most of the published articles have been on prospecting and lost treasures over the years, but also contributed to an anthology with some 'famous' authors that came out a year ago, and have been working on a book for some eight years now.

Advice for the 'wannabe' writer - do it, and don't get discouraged if your work is not accepted for publication, keep in mind ALL writers have some of their work turned down. Use a spell checker before sending any work in too, poor spelling often instantly turns off editors as they assume that you did not bother to do that so your work will show laziness as well.

Good luck and good hunting, I hope you all find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco ~ Roy A. Decker

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas
Hey Gypsy,

I've enjoyed your posts, and have often wished I had them on paper so I could read them in a more comfortable spot. It's hard to curl up with a good laptop.

I'm a songwriter. I've always wanted to make the leap to novelist, but everytime I think I've got a good idea for a book, about thirty pages in I realize I can tell the same story in three minutes, it'll rhyme, and about half the time you can dance to it!

Keep up the good work.

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
On Feb. 28 - March 2 there will be a writer's conference in Bradenton Florida. At the conference I will be interviewing editors and authors for the conference to create a CD that will give tips on getting published. If you are interested in the conference, you can get info by calling 321-269-5831. Most of the publishers at this particular conference are from Christian publications but if you are interested in learning more about publishing, having manuscripts reviewed, or meeting editors, that is a good place to do it if you are in the area. You can attend one day rather than all four, which makes it less expensive.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Well...where do I start?

Yes, I am writing a book. When will it be completed? Well, can't say for sure. I do alot of genealogical research, looking through newspapers, court houses, libraries (genealogy sections), grave yards, collect obits, marriage records, birth records....so much data, so little time.

My goal is to complete a book of the Hampton Roads Area of the largest family tree. It will have births, deaths, marriages, land records, family trees (try to connect all the birth, death and marriage records) of all the folks that made this area what it is. But...I do have a cut off date....my research ends with 31 December 1999. I figured I have to let the future generations do something.

I'm also working on updating my website that has been on line since 1990 something...heck...can't remember...think 1999...or is it 1994/5???...anyways. I post things I find (which will also be in my book) of information I find to help others not in this area to assist in locating relatives and complete the lineage of their family trees. I will also share some stories on bringing a father and daughter together (the father NEVER knowning he had a daughter and never had children with his current wife ... his only wife! He has since passed away :(...what a sweet sweet man he was!) and how I helped another by pure accident in finding information on his great great grandfather and finding out he was in the Spanish-American War and when he ordered his military record ... there was about 3 generations of family data!!! Or the time I assisted this woman who contacted me by email to look up a divorce record and found a photo in the files. Had the lady at the court copy it for me (and she was telling me it would not come out good...ha...I'm a graphic artist....and it came out great!!) Anyways, when I emailed this information to her and the photo...her father at the time was 71 years old and that was the FIRST TIME he had ever seen his REAL (Biological) FATHER!!!!.....that email was a tear-jerker for me!!

And with researching old newspapers, I am adding a new flair to my website...with articles about towns and cities around the US that are long gone now, to articles about early settlers, a section on ads about certain machines, household appliances, to the fashions of a certain period (i.e., 1920's, 1930's, etc), to the music of the times, to the prices of goods...just about anything that would catch the interest of the reader. Everyone has many different interest in the archives and I want to be able to give them all a chance to read on the history.

I'll post articles about the Civil War, the military (i.e., those serving, hometown news of an individual, our fallen HEROS!, etc...) and with being on here (TNet)...post articles relating to metal detecting and hopefully find some good stories that would help someone metal detect in their area or give good leads to an awesome site!

Will also make a link to the (still in progress) website for the Pipsico Hunts and of all those involved in recovering the history and try to keep everyone informed of the status of our finds and when they will be ready for viewing in the BS Museum at Pipsico and of future hunts, etc....

So, I have alot of work to do...so let me off of here....it won't get done by itself....OHHHHHHH WAIT...I can't continue right now...my daughter is home from Guam and I am spending the week with her...:):):). She's in the shower now and then me, then pick up oldest boy from school and then GO SHOPPING!!! OH YEAH!!!! Been saving up to take my daughter shopping and are we gonna' shop! LOL

Ya'll have an awesome and totally fabolous day!!!
Annmarie

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I tend to write occassionally. I've completed a few Screenplays but have yet to be able to do anything with them. Breaking into that business is extremely tough. I really want to make my own animated scifi/horror film which utilizes traditional 2d animation in more of an anime style rather than the 3d animation that has taken over the genre. I just think it looks better. Although, mixing 2d and 3d can work well too.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Allen-Idaho, one small bit of advice viz breaking in to the screenplay business. If you really want to sell your screenplays, find a good agent and hire him/her - for all of the major movie-makers refuse even to read a screenplay submitted by anyone NOT through an agent, only a tiny handful of the "indie" movie-makers will even consider it. Don't get discouraged if your plays are not bought up immediately, as you know it is a tough business with a great deal of competition involved.

Good luck in your endeavors,
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread