Great Cache Hunters Book...Search!...lb

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) For any of you cache hunters out there, check and see if you've got this fairly limited edition in your personal library. The author of this fine book, worked a lot around the Boynton Beach, area of Fla for a couple or three decades and wrote this book back in 1982 originally and then had it updated and enlarged in 1992. If you don't have Mr. Warnke's excellent THunting book now fair reader, ya just might wanna have a look at it, somewhere, somehow, sometime soon. 8) You see my TNet forum friends, up here in these parts of Kanuksville where I'm from, if I let out this kind of semi-secret information, I'd be suffering a real loss every time I hit any old lookin' place and I'd just find it trashed, with everything ruined and left to look disgusting, by the greedy sorts. Many places up here have already become non-user friendly, shall I say? In here somehow I feel that much more discretion is used with about everything going on in this marvelous place, so I tend to let the truth out, for those who will hear... :)

Even the darn title gave me goose bumps on my arms when I first laid eyes on this powerful little Cache Hunters handbook... 8)

You WILL enjoy this fantastic little (160 pgs) book, even if you believe that you've heard it all before and stuff. Let me know if I'm wrong about any of this, if and when anyone of you tracks this little Treasure down, would you? I'd be glad to hear from you, anytime! ;) Oh, and if you do already have this high caliber book in your library, then please add your thread in here, so others get to hear your thoughts about how Jim handles this subject, o.k.? 8)

Your's in THunting,

LarryB

:o James R. Warnke - SEARCH! :o

Attachments

• Warnke.jpg
    Warnke.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 771
  • Search.jpg
    Search.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 766

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Looks like a good read Larry, I'm still working on my Grandfathers house. I've found dozens of silver coins, two 100 oz. .999 silver bars (see avatar) and stocks and bonds. I know there is more it's just a matter of where.

kenb

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Wow, ask and ye shall receive.... :)

Just look at the thoughts startin' to feed in here already. :) Love it! ;D Mr. KenB, thanx for droppin' in, it's always good to meet another TH'er on this forum. Your late granddads house sounds like the place to be my friend. Have you posted about it? If so, where, so I may experience a good read? If not, then I understand why you wouldn't. ;) What was the latest date on the silver coins? Were they found seperate, here and there or were they in little stashed pods or in one can or jar or whatever? What about the bars? Different places? The certificates? Different place again, or no? You see friend Ken, All, are clues to those treasures still hidden in that house. Please slip out a bit more about the above if you can, buddy, I'm startin' ta twitch up here in Kanuksville with the mere thought of your ancestors stashes inside and or out side his home. 8)

Warnke's kool paperback IS the handbook that could make YOUR recovery process a lot easier, shorter and definately more productive. If it even helps you find one extra cache, it's paid for itself, and then some! ;)

It is a very great pleasure for me, to see you here commenting on my post, Exanimo Redux! 8) I have tried to follow some of your threads but didn't get too far. :( I'll have to wait till I become a real member :D, to do a search the right way. So far I've just been trolling topic after topic, forum after forum, thread after thread, lookin' high and low for anyting with ER attached to it, my good sir. Hope this doesn't sound too goofy or whatever, ER, but anyway, :-[ ??? ;)

It's a real honor to feel your kudos as well, for my efforts in here and that you, enjoy them! 8) I do like being around this forum so it just might work out o.k. afterall. ;D Do you participate in any others? Oh while you're here, do you and SS go back a ways? Is there history between the two of you? Seems I've read something along those lines on one of the threads I did manage to track down? Thanx also for confirming in here Exanimo, my belief in the goodness of this very kool little Cache book, alongside our other TH writing "heros" for the subject.

Where can I find some of your other posts ? Any links you could hook me up with, would be much appreciated, MrMan! 8)

Oh, p.s. you could just call me LarryB or lb or whatever there my friend, plus Bass is just my pen name. ;)

Lb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
LarryB, I posted about my Grandfathers house when I first signed on here, late 2004. The silver bars are from the Anglo American mining company I believe. I have them in the safe at my office and will double check tomorrow. They were found in a large coffee can filled with wax in a crawl space under the house, access from a small hole in the foundation in the basement. The coins were all over, I found a full babyfood jar mixed in with baby food jars full of screws, nuts and washers. I found a bunch in a stack of sandpaper, mixed thru out the sheets. I believe my mother found most of the coins spread out in the house as she was going thru things. All dates were mid 1800's to early 1900's. Most of the stocks and bonds were found in a roll top desk, it had two small vertical draws that matched the surrounding wood work. We wouldn't have noticed them if we hadn't tilted the desk in a way that caused one to slide open a bit. My grandparents were antique dealers from the early 50's thru the early 90's. They came across a ton of treasures in there business, I only wish I knew what I was looking at when I worked with them. My last good find there was a shoebox full of old military buttons, Civil war thru World war I, My grandmother strung them on threads and tagged them with as much history as she could. I have some complete sets she must have stripped from tattered uniforms. I have limited access to the house, her store is rented as well as the second and third floor. The back of the house has recently been rented as well allthough I spent ALOT of time searching it. I have full access to the basement which is huge, and I take a look around every time I stop by. Like I said, there is more there, I know for a fact. I just gotta hit some more spots, kinda gotta think like my grandfather if you know what I mean.

kenb

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
:) Man, what a very interesting story it is! 8) Thanx for filling in lots of the blanks for me. I'll have to see if I can track down your original post. You know, your last statement about trying to think like your grandad, has a lot going for it, for sure. He's proving to me so far that he was a "handyman" of sorts and quite resourceful. How old was he when he passed? Possibly the coins between the sheets of sandpaper, were some of the last coins he stashed. He was running out of places and with failing health, wasn't tryin' quite so hard anymore maybe, to really hide them. Probably hopeing near the end, that only members of his family would find those at least, leaving a faint trail for any sharp kin as yourself, to follow... 8) He's got me though, on why he would seal the silver bars in wax other than he was thinking to perhaps prevent them from tarnishing? Quite a good little hidey hole for them though! ;) O.K. this part is a little uncanny but anyways. I also have about twenty dollars face in oldish silver dimes, in baby food jars, mixed in with many other baby food jars of screws etc etc. on one of my shelves. ??? See, another old trick. Those older generation guys, were sometimes, full of them.

It's really a shame about the, limited access part, that bites. If the basement is where your grandfather spent a lot of his time and, it is where you found most of the coins so far, it makes sense to really start giving that whole basement good going over. Is there still some of the furniture in it too? Being antique dealers like that, you can bet he stashed money in some of those pieces. Also it might be paper money you are looking for! 8) As a rule, it's easier to hide a folded up ten or twenty dollar bill than it is to try and jam a big ol thick ol heavy ol silver dollar somewhere outta sight. TEven the old thumb tack through a bill trick, has been around for a long time, because of how many places you could "stick" it way up and or outta sight, easily, anywhere there was wood.
Good hunting on your next trip over there.

Thanx for the super reply friend, I appreciate your sharing... 8)

lb

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
larrybass said:
Wow, ask and ye shall receive.... :)

Just look at the thoughts startin' to feed in here already. :) Love it! ;D Mr. KenB, thanx for droppin' in, it's always good to meet another TH'er on this forum. Your late granddads house sounds like the place to be my friend. Have you posted about it? If so, where, so I may experience a good read? If not, then I understand why you wouldn't. ;) What was the latest date on the silver coins? Were they found seperate, here and there or were they in little stashed pods or in one can or jar or whatever? What about the bars? Different places? The certificates? Different place again, or no? You see friend Ken, All, are clues to those treasures still hidden in that house. Please slip out a bit more about the above if you can, buddy, I'm startin' ta twitch up here in Kanuksville with the mere thought of your ancestors stashes inside and or out side his home. 8)

Warnke's kool paperback IS the handbook that could make YOUR recovery process a lot easier, shorter and definately more productive. If it even helps you find one extra cache, it's paid for itself, and then some! ;)

It is a very great pleasure for me, to see you here commenting on my post, Exanimo Redux! 8) I have tried to follow some of your threads but didn't get too far. :( I'll have to wait till I become a real member :D, to do a search the right way. So far I've just been trolling topic after topic, forum after forum, thread after thread, lookin' high and low for anyting with ER attached to it, my good sir. Hope this doesn't sound too goofy or whatever, ER, but anyway, :-[ ??? ;)

It's a real honor to feel your kudos as well, for my efforts in here and that you, enjoy them! 8) I do like being around this forum so it just might work out o.k. afterall. ;D Do you participate in any others? Oh while you're here, do you and SS go back a ways? Is there history between the two of you? Seems I've read something along those lines on one of the threads I did manage to track down? Thanx also for confirming in here Exanimo, my belief in the goodness of this very kool little Cache book, alongside our other TH writing "heros" for the subject.

TO CHECK OUT OTHER POSTS OF ANY POSTER LOOK AT THE LEFT SIDE. IT WILL GIVE YOU THE OPTION TO SEND A PRIVATE MESSAAGE OR VIEW THE PROFILE. IF YOU CLICK ON THE PROFILE THERE WILL BE SEVERAL OPTIONS. ONE WILL BE TO VIEW THE RECENT POSTS OF THAT PERSON PLUS ANY PUBLIC INFORMATION SUCH AS AN EMAIL ADDRESS AGE, LOCATION ETC WILL SHOW ON THE PROFILE PAGE. IF I AM THE SS YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT THE ONLY CONNECTION IS AN ADMIRATION OF THE WORK AND ACHIEVEMENTS OF KARL VON MUELLER (BORN CHARLES DEAN MILLER) LATE OF WEEPING WATER NEBRASKA - SEGUNDO COLORADO - AND THE CIRCLE OF COMPANIONS ALONG THE OWLHOOT TRAIL. EXANIMO, SIEGFRIED SCHLAGRULE

Where can I find some of your other posts ? Any links you could hook me up with, would be much appreciated, MrMan! 8)

Oh, p.s. you could just call me LarryB or lb or whatever there my friend, plus Bass is just my pen name. ;)

Lb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Pop was mid 70's when he died (esophagus cancer). The antique store was on the first floor. His shop was in the basement, repairs and refinishing. Also a great place to hide from my Grandmother, she was a little cranky to say the least. He left know "trail" so to speak, he did not trust banks period. He once told me the government could change our currency at any time leaving many people in a jam. So I know theres more "hard" money to be found. I think the coins in the sandpaper were relatively recent finds he just stashed, Its amazing the amount of coinage that can be found in older pieces of furniture. Every time he refinished a piece he would come across something.

kenb

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I've got to say I love the book "Search". I've got the 1st edition that I picked up for $2.50 at a flea market about 8 years ago. ;) It was factory marked $6.95 and the flea marketer had it at $3.50 but talked him down a $1. That was after I saw that it was autographed.
Here's a couple of pics of it. I intentionally blurred the autograph just a tad.

Attachments

• S3010449.jpg
    S3010449.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 714
  • S3010450.jpg
    S3010450.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 709

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the lead. I just purchased it on e-bay for $10.95. I didn't want to pay $55.00 for the first edition. But it is available and it is also signed...Steve

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Alrighty then, your very welcome Steve, glad to see ya scored one, easy-like for your collection! You'll find it's well worth that purchase price! :)

Stoneyman, what a super slick salesman you must be ;D to slip that flea marketer down like that, to the give away price you got it for! Good thing ya blurred the sig part, I was gonna copy it and stick it in my book, ta look kool too. ;D Joshin' ya bro, it's way neat to have what you were fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time etc to attain. Hold onto it and study it good if you want a very real chance at uncovering a heretofor, heavily stashed cache.etc. ;) Readin' about the stuff in this book of course, is only part way there. Getting out and doing some of it , in old places you already know about but have never searched, is what brings home the bacon... 8)

Kenb, I mentioned in my other thread here that I believed those coins that were slipped between the sheets of sandpaper, were very likely his last stashes! Then you say:
kenb said:
I think the coins in the sandpaper were relatively recent finds he just stashed, I
kenb
Hmmm, o.k.
Then, I surmised from the info you had supplied up to that point that, he was indeed, leaving a trail , in this manner, for you, I guess. However you may have missed that when you then said,
kenb said:
Pop left know "trail" so to speak, he did not trust banks period. He once told me the government could change our currency at any time leaving many people in a jam.
That was my point bud, to convince you from what I could only gather from your post, that the stash is indeed, right there and he even friggen wanted someone in your /his family to find it, near the end of his days. 8)

Have you tracked down a copy of Warnke's book yet, it could very well guide you to solving some of the riddles the ol' boy left you? :)

Mr. Schlagrule, yes you are indeed the man I was asking about. :) Thanks muchly for the excellent forum navigation tips, and for filling in some blanks regarding our mutual admiration for this amazing gentleman, taken away far too early, from all of us who loved him so! Had you sir, ever been so fortunate enough to have had the privilage of meeting this giant among men, in all your travels? You see Seig, somehow for me anywayhow , through a post or two of yours that I've read, you come across as sounding or sort of acting, the way that I have come to know Karl to put things. I know we do pickup little things from others we admire, even if we are not totally conscience of it all the time. ;)

I'm going to do some more touring into some archives here for a bit, now that you've shown me the kool trick SS! 8) I would really like to see a post started somewhere in here, that would be devoted only to KVM. We could all then line up with our thoughts, questions, theories and all the rest of it, that have to do with this remarkable man. It could be our combined member efforts to put together, a far-reaching tribute here to the Dean of American Treasure Writers. What do you think of that Mr. Schlagrule? I value your opinion on this matter.

Thanx alot for posting your thread in here on my wee spot and answering my questions. 8)

LarryB

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
The background on KvM has been covered in the past by Argonaut Alan (most recently posting here as Treasure Master) and several other people. A search for Karl von Mueller will reveal it. Many details under Treasure Hunting 201 posts. I made several attempts to meet the sage of segundo and the ogre of odessa. We wrote a very few - too few times. I was a contributor to his proposed Encyclopedia of the West. He always seemed to be "no en casa" when I arrived and being as I was a kid back then in the seventies I'm sure I didn't fit the profile of someone who he would want to see. Then as now he was protected. No doubt he was there at least some of the times that I was. exanimo, siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Hello SS,

You said:

That it has been covered in the past by Argonaut Alan (most recently posting here as Treasure Master) and several other people. A search for Karl von Mueller will reveal it. Many details under Treasure Hunting 201 posts.

O.K. I've been to 201 and 101 and 301? I think you mentioned in one of them that you may be doing a 401?? I think I Left a post in one of them at least. Anyway, Can't use search, as I'm not a "real" member yet, my bad. :( That's why I mentioned that I liked your tip in your first post, at least with that move, I can backtrack someone, if and when they post, somewhere. However I have not been looking for any posts by AA or TM because I didn't know about them, so now I'll go and see if I can find something on them now.

Thank you for your time Mr. Schlagrule.

lb

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
LB, I get your point. I found a coulple of copys of Search on Ebay, I will purchase one this week. I also plan on stopping by my Grandfathers shop this week to check out the cabinet I found the coins in. I'll let you know what I see.

kenb

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
larrybass said:
Hello SS,

You said:

That it has been covered in the past by Argonaut Alan (most recently posting here as Treasure Master) and several other people. A search for Karl von Mueller will reveal it. Many details under Treasure Hunting 201 posts.

O.K. I've been to 201 and 101 and 301? I think you mentioned in one of them that you may be doing a 401?? I think Left a post in one of them at least. Anyway, Can't use search, as I'm not a "real" member, my bad. That's why I mentioned that I liked your tip in your first post, at least with that move, I can backtrack someone, if and when they post, somewhere. However I have not been looking for any posts by AA or TM because I didn't know about them, so now I'll go and see if I can find something on them now.

Thank you for your time Mr. Schlagrule.

lb
the long way around would be to click on my profile and read my posts under recommended reading. data you want is in a reply to my treasure hunting 201 post. I did mention maybe doing a 401 but no one but you has asked about it. I had something written up in case I decided to do it. Will have to look and see if I can find it. If not I'll eventually get caught up from my promises and do it. AA is only in the old forum archives most likely. When you read the 201 post again you can click on his profile and rad any new posts. You actually had me thinking that you were AA under another name. Very similar posting style. regards, siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Hi there Kenb, slick move on your part there my friend! I'm still very interested in your tale, so let me know your progress as it unfolds, o.k.? Please though, one thing, S-L-O-W way down for me, and do every single search methodically, because this man ( your kool ol' GD) knew antiques and he knew woodworking and he even knew where others may look for his, Very Kool Kash Kache! 8)

Hello Mr. Schlagrule, thx again for your help and concern along with the further tips. About the, posting style thing, I'm not sure how you get there, because for instance, I always use part of my real name in my screen name. Not too smart maybe but that's me anyway. Also, I pride myself on being, quite diverse, in my estimation at least, and not ever, narrow minded, close minded or even opinionated, without just cause. Two eyes, two ears and one mouth, has been one of the motto's, which I've packed around most of my life now. So, sorry to confuse you a little with what you've perceived to be my er, style.

Thx again 4 the follow-up. Always appreciated.

lb

DennisB

Jun 13, 2006
Clinton Twp Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey LB!
Took our advice and got this book. What a treasure in it's self. Thanks so much for the heads up.

Dennis

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Hey DB, you are very welcome. 8) Glad you could find a copy of this fine little book for yourself. It will get you into the, Cache Hunters "mindset" and show you how to think like a hider would. Refer to it anytime you find yourself an old deserted house to poke around in. I always get the feeling that there is still something there, in these long deserted homestead type places. In lots of cases they have been searched pretty good, but not usually by a Pro, like you could turn out to be, after absorbing lots of the hard to find info in your new book there, my friend. ;)

lb

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Hey TT, I'm glad you like it! Hint, read it again and see some things you missed on your first read. Nobody has the whole gamut covered, as you put it! Not even you! Nice to see you admitting that in here... :)

lb

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased a copy on Ebay today for 10.95, look forward to reading some good stories and advice. I have been hunting since 1985 and I am sure I can broaden my thinking a bit.
Let you know what I think when I have read it.
Thanks for the input.

OP
OP
larrybass

larrybass

Jan 12, 2006
Ottawa, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro-Amigo
Howdy there Bull Durham! :) Glad to hear you scored a copy of this wonderful little book! So, did ya pick up anything new in it yet? Or, is it all old hat to you? ;D

Cheers!

lb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions