New Treasure Hunting Book - Recommended Reading

Tanelorn

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have been many books about treasure and treasure hunting, but none have become the benchmark that this one is bound to become. It not only teaches us about many tricks of the trade of treasure hunting, but also actually teaches as it were a form of treasure hunting forensics. In his book, Daniel answers some of the mysteries of the treasure hunting genre. Among the mysteries answered are the Peralta Stones and the Seven Cities of Cibola. You will find a wealth of information and possibly a new perspective for outside the box thinking! This book is a must read!!

Treasures of Utah and the Mysteries of the West available at Tuscoro

Attachments

• Complete Cover.jpg
    Complete Cover.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 438
OP
OP
Tanelorn

Tanelorn

Feb 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not my book, I do not control the price. However, the information held within "Treasures of Utah and the Mysteries of the West" is worth far more than $55.00.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
"There have been many books about treasure and treasure hunting, but none have become the benchmark that this one is bound to become."

With all due respect, the benchmark books (in approximate order) are:

The Treasure Hunter's Manual, #6 - "Karl von Mueller"
Sudden Wealth - "Deek Gladson"
The Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 - "Karl von Mueller"
The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting - "Karl von Mueller" [full disclosure, as always: I reprinted this one in 1990]
The Golden Crescent; Or, The Southwest Treasure Belt - "Jesse Rascoe"

Dig for Pirate Treasure -
Robert Nesmith
The Treasure Diver's Guide - John S. Potter
Treasure; The Business & Technology - Phil Olin [I financed the first printing of the first widely circulated edition]

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"There have been many books about treasure and treasure hunting, but none have become the benchmark that this one is bound to become."

The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting - "Karl von Mueller" [full disclosure, as always: I reprinted this one in 1990]

Robert Nesmith
Treasure; The Business & Technology - Phil Olin [I financed the first printing of the first widely circulated edition]

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Thanks for the book list.

Sudden Wealth by Deek Gladson looks interesting, but a little pricey.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004

Robert Nesmith

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Great list, just curious if you were around during the heyday of Examino?

A fascinating list for sure, but let's face it, we're talking highly subjective...your'e also talking very broadly.

I don't think any "benchmark of treasure" list should not contain "Coronado's Children." You also have numerous books by other late 30s to late 60s authors that I'm guessing many would argue should make a list.

Then you have to consider site specific books:

Lost Dutchman: Thunder God's Gold
Lost Rhoades Mines: Footprints in the Wilderness
Lost Adams Diggings, the Beale Code Treasure, Victorio Peak, etc. All of these sites have their own prospective literature that has pros and cons but all likely have "must have" books.

For my part, NO treasure library should be void of Steve Wilson's book on the Texas Spider Rocks. Besides being a fascinating story it is hands down THE best researched, resourced, and well documented book on a treasure site ever...PERIOD.

Just curious too, what did you mean with this entry: The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting - "Karl von Mueller" [full disclosure, as always: I reprinted this one in 1990]

When you say reprinted, are you meaning copied one for yourself or republished it?

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Randy Bradford:

I agree with your post! Both of Prof. Dobie's books - can't ignore Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver! - are classics. I wouldn't want to be without his Legends of Texas, either.

The Lost Adams Diggings is a particular favorite of mine. I reprinted Byerts' pamphlet to make it readily available once again.

As for the Lost Dutchman, I'd buy and read Robert Blair's book long before Barry Storm's (or, for that matter, Barney Bernard's - although that remains my favorite because it is the first one I purchased on the subject, and it retains a certain charm).

Steve Wilson's book is excellent - no question about it. He combined academic research, folklore, and experience on the ground equaled in few other others. It's an excellent example of how it should be done.

Ed Bartholomew's Golden Crescent; or, The Southwest Treasure Belt (by Jesse Ed Rascoe) is an absolute classic. No other treasure author brought to light the vast number of leads Ed published in his excellent series of books.

I think Treasure Net's own Steve Clark did a first-rate job with New Mexico Confidential; 30 Years of Snooping in Obscure Places (2013). I recommend this book as a guide to treasure legend research.

Yes, Sudden Wealth has become expensive - particularly the original editions (to this day I don't know which came first - KvonM's or Art Lassagne's Gold Bug). Although if you think that one is costly, Treasure of the Valley of Secrets probably isn't for you. When I wrote I reprinted KvonM's Encyclopedia I mean just that. It's the 1990 facsimile reprint of the first edition. We planned on reprinting Sudden Wealth next. Actually, I wanted to that one first, but Karl insisted on the EBTH. He didn't live to see it in print, and that was the end of the project to bring them back.

I don't reproduce books or pamphlets still in copyright. As the great treasure book collector Bill Hanks used to say, "There's no pride of ownership in a Xerox copy." To to mention the ethics of it. And the law...

I was around when the Exanimo Establishment was running high, wide and handsome. Far too few people today understand what Charles Dean Miller brought to the party we continue to enjoy.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya'll got some pretty good list's there, ive read most of those, wished i owned them all.
Have ya'll read the Utah book?
and yes my hats off to steve clark's book, best thing about it is the gps co-ordinates so icould sit at the computer
logged into google earth while i was reading.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
I have read the Utah book, I plan to post a full review sometime before the beginning of the new year.

If oyu're from Utah and like SGPS, Dale Basom's book was really themed to present such things. Also, the Treasures of Utah website used to have a pretty exhaustive list of GPS sites for mines...

LUE-Hawn

Feb 16, 2018
United States
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Makro Deephunter Pro 3D, OKM EXP 4500 Pro, Garrett Hand Held Detectors, Falcon MD 20, English dowsing springs, Darley Spanish Dip Needle, L-Rods, what’s left of my brain :o)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great list, just curious if you were around during the heyday of Examino?

A fascinating list for sure, but let's face it, we're talking highly subjective...your'e also talking very broadly.

I don't think any "benchmark of treasure" list should not contain "Coronado's Children." You also have numerous books by other late 30s to late 60s authors that I'm guessing many would argue should make a list.

Then you have to consider site specific books:

Lost Dutchman: Thunder God's Gold
Lost Rhoades Mines: Footprints in the Wilderness
Lost Adams Diggings, the Beale Code Treasure, Victorio Peak, etc. All of these sites have their own prospective literature that has pros and cons but all likely have "must have" books.

For my part, NO treasure library should be void of Steve Wilson's book on the Texas Spider Rocks. Besides being a fascinating story it is hands down THE best researched, resourced, and well documented book on a treasure site ever...PERIOD.

Just curious too, what did you mean with this entry: The Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting - "Karl von Mueller" [full disclosure, as always: I reprinted this one in 1990]

When you say reprinted, are you meaning copied one for yourself or republished it?

Hello All,

I will supply a revised TH Book List in a few days.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I will supply a revised TH Book List in a few days.

Regards

LUE-Hawn

I cant wait to see your list on the top selected treasure hunting manuals that you have compiled.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I might just get it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread