Islands of Angry Ghosts

Scribe

Feb 18, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a book published in 1966 by Hugh Edwards about the ship Batavia. The book itself is written to make it two books in one.
The first book is the modern (at least THEN modern) hunt for the wreckage of the Batavia. Edwards really has a way of bringing you into the multiple expeditions looking for the wreck. It's a window to look through on a small scale, in your free time, low budget operation that is right up there with a lot of the people that hunt for the Lost Dutchman's Mine, KGC's, or looking for Conquistador's gold.
The second book is a period based historical novel that is based on the accounts of the mutiny of the Batavia, the shipwreck, and surviving not only being marooned, but also the horror as the mutineers seize control.
Edwards switches back and fourth between the two stories in a perfect pace so both the stories evolve at the same time. I admit that the writing is a bit dated, but overall it is a great book that I would recommend to any TH'er and I guess it was republished in 2000 so there are copies out there. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread