austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Talk to a librarian in the special collections section of a university library. That's a good start. Jameson? Hmmm...

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Jameson found some real treasure but i also believe he's a real good story teller also whether there all true i don't know but treasure hunter by him is a very interesting read.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jameson is an amusing story teller but having lived exactly where some of his tales occurred, his geography is off quite a bit. I suppose that is why it's called fiction.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he just doesn't want anyone to find any treasure he left behind lol

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also forgot to say I've heard an area can change greatly over time.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best insight to "old fashioned living" was a journal I found in an old farm house many years ago. Life was a lot different then. People worked from sunup to sundown and had very little free time or free money. Trips to town were often made impossible by muddy roads, swollen rivers and deep snow. The primary entertainment was sunday lunch socials. sometimes at a church, sometimes at a tree grove or maybe beside a nearby creek. Lots of people died young and common illnesses were life threatening.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few in my personal library.

--The Writer's Guide to EVERDAY LIFE FROM PROHIBITION THROUGH WORLD WAR II, by Marc McCutcheon, printed 1995 by Writer's Digest Books.

--The Writer's Guide to EVERYDAY LIFE IN THE WILD WEST FROM 1840-1900, by Candy Moulton, printed 1999 by Writer's Digest Books.

--The Writer's Guide to EVERYDAY LIFE IN THE 1800S, by Marc McCutcheon, printed 1990 by Writer's Digest Books.

--EVERYDAY LIFE DURING THE CIVIL WAR A Gude For Writers, Students and Historians, by Hichael J. Varhola, printed 1999 by Writer's Digest Books.

These books contain the minute information of everyday life during the subject periods. The slang, idiosyncrasies, the small details of life and the historical specifics that a writer of fiction OR history would need to know to make his/her story / book as authentic as possible.

Go to the on-line libraries such as, The Online Books Page and search for books dealing with your area of interests.......especially personal diaries. On this University of Pennsylvania site, I found the travelers' guide to the Oregon Trail that gave the daily milages to the specific campgrounds and directions from campsite to campsite, from beginning to end. Now, just think what a good (or even a half-assed) metal detectorist might find along that trail, especially at the campgrounds and waterholes. Another book at this website, is the diaries of Marcy's travels throughout the west / southwest.

This one site is an excellent source of copies of original books and pamplets that you can download for free.

OP
OP
neo

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few in my personal library.

--The Writer's Guide to EVERDAY LIFE FROM PROHIBITION THROUGH WORLD WAR II, by Marc McCutcheon, printed 1995 by Writer's Digest Books.

--The Writer's Guide to EVERYDAY LIFE IN THE WILD WEST FROM 1840-1900, by Candy Moulton, printed 1999 by Writer's Digest Books.

--The Writer's Guide to EVERYDAY LIFE IN THE 1800S, by Marc McCutcheon, printed 1990 by Writer's Digest Books.

--EVERYDAY LIFE DURING THE CIVIL WAR A Gude For Writers, Students and Historians, by Hichael J. Varhola, printed 1999 by Writer's Digest Books.

These books contain the minute information of everyday life during the subject periods. The slang, idiosyncrasies, the small details of life and the historical specifics that a writer of fiction OR history would need to know to make his/her story / book as authentic as possible.

Go to the on-line libraries such as, The Online Books Page and search for books dealing with your area of interests.......especially personal diaries. On this University of Pennsylvania site, I found the travelers' guide to the Oregon Trail that gave the daily milages to the specific campgrounds and directions from campsite to campsite, from beginning to end. Now, just think what a good (or even a half-assed) metal detectorist might find along that trail, especially at the campgrounds and waterholes. Another book at this website, is the diaries of Marcy's travels throughout the west / southwest.

This one site is an excellent source of copies of original books and pamplets that you can download for free.

Will be looking today.

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A great resource for family stories and all sorts of old information is usgw archives. Type usgw archives plus the search target place or a person's name. Here is one of a number of reports returned on the query usgw archives joe blow...

http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/surry/census/1784cens.txt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread