The Treasure Hunter

kelse

Greenie
Jul 26, 2011
I may be a little bit predjudiced towards you buckaroo as Howard was my uncle and I do have a little better insight as to the facts than you do. Cheers

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
kelse:

Of course not. I didn't write that. Why do you feel the need to misinterpret what I wrote? I made it quite clear there are things in this book I don't believe.

I do think the book speaks for itself. Mr. Jennings took certain actions and then wrote about them. He is responsible for what he did - good and bad.

That's life.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Book, I also have verified some of Jenning's treasure stories and can safely declare them as truth. I have also met Grist, and he is a hell of a guy.

Do you have any idea just how many Archaeologists are actually treasure hunters? Somewhere in the range of 70%+. Have you noticed that you are the only one who has a dislike for Jennings and the Treasure Hunter? Out of about 10 people who have posted on this thread, you are the only who seems to have a dislike for him. You must be perfect, since you seem to condemn Jennings so easily.

It is easy to be an armchair adventurer. Try heading to Ecuador and walking in Jennings path. He was a devoted treasure hunter and deserves a little more respect.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
AA:

When it comes to ethics and morals, shall we just take a vote?

No thanx. Mr. Jennings' book speaks for itself. As do his own actions, as described by him.

What others do - amateurs or professionals, laypersons or academics - doesn't have anything to do with it.

Judge him? Yep. He wrote the book, I didn't.

My opinions of Mr. Grist are based, once again, on what he's chosen to write about himself and publish. I continue to believe that whether it is physcially "in print" or on the Internet, copyrights should be respected. Authors should be given credit for their work - and permissions obtained before publishing.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Alaskan Adventurer

Dec 20, 2009
Ecuador
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Bookaroo said:
AA:

When it comes to ethics and morals, shall we just take a vote?

No thanks. Mr. Jennings' book speaks for itself. As do his own actions, as described by him.

What others do - amateurs or professionals, laypersons or academics - doesn't have anything to do with it.

Judge him? Yep. He wrote the book, I didn't.

My opinions of Mr. Grist are based, once again, on what he's chosen to write about himself and publish. I continue to believe that whether it is physically "in print" or on the Internet, copyrights should be respected. Authors should be given credit for their work - and permissions obtained before publishing.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo
Morals and ethics aside for the moment, you were disputing on whether or not he actually did these hunts in his stories. They have been verified as fact. So you have never lied, even a little white lie in your life? So you are absolutely perfect and a shining example of honesty? You are judging someone on a tiny section of his life in a book. Maybe Mr Moore exaggerated a bit as well to make the read more interesting. All i know is this:

1. The book is based on factual events that really happened and have been verified.
2. Beyond the locations themselves, he gives the wannabe adventurer some really useful information in dealing with the natives, dealing with issues of logistics in the rainforest, use of various tools and equipment and future treasure hunting leads. Also just to irk you a bit, how to woo women, eh?

So once again I will say the guy is not perfect, and you are?

The guy is fearless and focused and a true adventurer, and for that he has my respect.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A2:

You wrote: "Do you have any idea just how many Archaeologists are actually treasure hunters? Somewhere in the range of 70%+." Can you back that number up, or are you using ROMA data?

Although I don't see what that claim has to do with this book.

As for leaving ethics and morals aside - why? That was my original premise. Treasure hunting is difficult enough, without folks running around robbing graves. It's wrong. Period. It's against the law and it should be. And those laws should be enforced.

As for Mr. Jennings' "adventures," it's obvious they grew in the telling. My life doesn't have anything to do with it. May I remind you, I didn't write this book. While, of course, I am far from perfect, I don't hide behind "everybody does it." I'll admit my mistakes and take responsibility for them.

If you think the way to "woo women" is to lie to them - well, that's up to you and them, now isn't it? I don't believe that story at all. Those parts of the book are too 1950's for me.

I don't believe a great deal in Mr. Moore's epic tome The Happy Hooker, either. Or, as has been previously pointed out, his very unfortunate book about hunting Osama Bin Forgotten.

There are many professional, and amateur, treasure hunters I respect. Howard Jennings certainly is not one of them.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with ya Bookaroo.

I enjoyed the book, very exciting, but even then, most of their adventures were illegal.

The dollar amounts received for the artifacts were very interesting, especially when gold was $ 35/ troy oz. at he time.

First hand accounts of this kind are hard to come by, and I'm very glad the book was written and would recommend it.

Jan 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got two copies of it and recommend it for anyone who has the itch to hunt but is trapped inside on a rainy day. The book covers many things that are useful about expeditions, and the nuances that occur at random on expedition that I witnessed in my own. Made me feel better that I wasn't the only one having labor troubles. All in all, a good book!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread