The Treasure Hunter

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Howard Jennings was killed in a plane crash at age 50 going to Turkey to look for a treasure. I talked to Robin about it a few years ago. He autographed and gave me one of his personal copies of The Treasure Hunter. Robin is still kicking though has a touch of Parkinson's. He is a great guy! As you know from reading the book he is also a treasure hunter.

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just finished reading this book today. It was a good read, and it did keep me interested. I must say though I did not find that it taught me much about how to look for or find treasure. One of the exploits in the book I would not really consider treasure hunting. Like I said it is a good book, but it is'nt helpful with how to find treasure.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this great book 20 years ago when I was just getting into treasure hunting....the book is GREAT!!! I personally got a lot out of the information presented. The progression to the use of pulse induction is discussed, along with examples of how to deal with hired help during a treasure quest. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the same robin moore who wrote "the green berets" the book based on the horrible john wayne flick?

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
dekalb33 said:
the same robin moore who wrote "the green berets" the book based on the horrible john wayne flick?
Here is a funny you wrote "the green berets" the book based on the horrible John Wayne flick Well I was serving in Viet Nam in a ranger unit when the movie came out we saw it at cheap Charlie's and it sure was one dumb a__ movie for it was not even close to being realistic sorry other time another place

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OUTSTANDING!THAT BOOK IS A KILLER READ!ill have to look into some more of his writing for sure.ill have to scrounge up a copy of the tresure hunter thankx for the input guys!

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
I am reading a great book now it is called GOLDEN MIRAGES THE STORY OF THE LOST PEGLEG MINE THE LEGENDARY THREE GOLD BUTTES AND YARNS OF AND BY THOSE WHO KNOW THE DESERT COPY RIGHT 1940 Buck

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Hey, I liked that movie! LOL! And what movie is true to life? Pretty much anything that comes out of Hollywood is embellished.... heheheheheh.? ;D

Stan Grist has more on Jennings and Moore I believe....

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
explorer said:
I just finished the book The Treaure Hunter and it was a great read. I could hardly put it down. Does anybody know if Howard Jennings or Robin Moore are still alive?

From Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Moore

"Robert Lowell "Robin" Moore, Jr. (October 31, 1925 - February 21, 2008) was an American writer who is most known for his books The Green Berets, The French Connection: A True Account of Cops, Narcotics, and International Conspiracy and, with Xaviera Hollander and Yvonne Dunleavy, The Happy Hooker: My Own Story.

Moore also co-authored the lyrics for the "Ballad of the Green Berets", which was one of the major hit songs of 1966. The song was also featured in the film based on Moore's book which starred John Wayne. A new edition of The Green Berets was published in April 2007 and his last book, Wars of the Green Berets, co-authored with Col. Mike 'Doc' Lennon, was released in June 2007.

At the time of his death, Moore was residing in Hopkinsville, Kentucky (home to Fort Campbell and the 5th Special Forces Group) where he was working on his memoirs as well as three other books."

I am re-reading The Treasure Hunter, and continue to recommend it as a very good TH read.

Thank you, Robin! Godspeed.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
At the risk of being a buzzkill I think The Treasure Hunter is a miserable book. Most of it is BS - and the whole concept of looting graves and tombs for gold trinkets does our profession (or hobby, depending) a tremendous amount of harm.

People like Stan Grist push this sort of "literature" - how he has managed to obtain copyrights for the publications he peddles I don't know, but it must have been a tremendous amount of work for a relatively small return - but it won't do the rest of us any good at all.

Robin Moore co-wrote The Happy Hooker and as far as I am concerned The Treasure Hunter falls into the same category.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sdgrist

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2005
Dear Old Bookaroo,

How can you say that the contents of The Treasure Hunter are BS? Have you personally been to any of the sites mentioned in the book? I have been to them all. Every single chapter from The Treasure Hunter is fact. This book was largely responsible for sending me on a lifetime of wonderful adventures which continue as I write this.

Have I received a relatively small return for a tremendous amount of work from the publications I sell? I have received perhaps little in dollars from the publications I sell, but I have received many thousands of emails from the people whose lives were affected in a significantly positive way by these publications. The reason I share these publications is that they helped and inspired me to eventually discover enough alluvial gold in South America at a relatively young age to comfortably spend the rest of my life pursuing my adventurous passions.

I have spent many months exploring the entire area of Coaque here in Ecuador. I have discovered many amazing, undocumented archaeological sites from the Jama-Coaque culture. I have never looted a tomb nor robbed a grave. I don't know any intelligent treasure hunters that do.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have some sort of an axe to grind that perhaps stems from the frustration of never having pursued your own dreams in life. I hope you have the opportunity to change your negative perspective before it is too late. I'm sure others on this forum sense the same. Fortunately the positive inspiration left by wonderful people such as Howard Jennings lives on.

Stan Grist
[email protected]

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sdgrist said:
Dear Old Bookaroo,

How can you say that the contents of The Treasure Hunter are BS? Have you personally been to any of the sites mentioned in the book? I have been to them all. Every single chapter from The Treasure Hunter is fact. This book was largely responsible for sending me on a lifetime of wonderful adventures which continue as I write this.

Have I received a relatively small return for a tremendous amount of work from the publications I sell? I have received perhaps little in dollars from the publications I sell, but I have received many thousands of emails from the people whose lives were affected in a significantly positive way by these publications. The reason I share these publications is that they helped and inspired me to eventually discover enough alluvial gold in South America at a relatively young age to comfortably spend the rest of my life pursuing my adventurous passions.

I have spent many months exploring the entire area of Coaque here in Ecuador. I have discovered many amazing, undocumented archaeological sites from the Jama-Coaque culture. I have never looted a tomb nor robbed a grave. I don't know any intelligent treasure hunters that do.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have some sort of an axe to grind that perhaps stems from the frustration of never having pursued your own dreams in life. I hope you have the opportunity to change your negative perspective before it is too late. I'm sure others on this forum sense the same. Fortunately the positive inspiration left by wonderful people such as Howard Jennings lives on.

Stan Grist
[email protected]

Thanks Stan!

and Thank You to Howard Jennings and Robin Moore for sharing wonderful, true adventures that continue to inspire and encourage many TH'ers!

The Treasure Hunter is highly recommended!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions