New To Metal Detecting? This Book Can Help

Dr. Detector

Jul 14, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A Digger's Life" by Erich Schmidtz is now available on Amazon Kindle! (You can read it on mobile devices and tablets if you do not own a Kindle) It is a remarkable e-book that is an introduction into metal detecting. It features frequently asked questions, suggestions and a review of an excellent and well priced metal detector for people just starting out! Highly recommend it, as it cleared up questions I've always had on this amazing hobby.

Take care!
-Dr. Detector

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read a few books and truthfully learned nothing from them. IMHO - Experience with your machine is the one and only way to learn about this hobby.

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill definitely take a read...

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

gentleone444

Apr 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres only a one page sample and it doesnt tell how many pages. I know its only 2.99 but really...

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dr. Detector

Jul 14, 2017
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very short indeed (I think 1 or 2 pages, maybe more) I just found it helpful so I decided to let you all know about it.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is very short indeed (I think 1 or 2 pages, maybe more) I just found it helpful so I decided to let you all know about it.

Only two pages? You need to post the 2 pages up so we can read it. Cannot be much info in just two pages. A detectors manual is about 30 plus pages.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read a few books and truthfully learned nothing from them. IMHO - Experience with your machine is the one and only way to learn about this hobby.

I completely agree, I subscribed to multiple mags for a decade, read everything I could get my hands on for years - have more than a dozen books right now.

Yes, I picked up some tips here and there.

But the only way to understand what those tips were telling me was to get out there swinging and digging. Yes, they will enhance your knowledge as you learn, but they won't tell you the "miracle" you're expecting - period.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to bash the book, but to me reading how to detect books is sort of like reading every how to fly book out there without any stick time. Either way you need the hours. I can pretty well explain it in one reply. Setup & tune your detector per the manual, start swinging it, when it sounds off, pinpoint, and dig, repeat thousands of times. That'll be $2.50 please! If you'd like me to add a few pictures to fluff it out to a three page reply it'll be $4.00.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't find any mention of the 40th Regiment uniforms as cargo in the seized transport through online research, only in print.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dr D., are you Erich Schmidtz? :skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread