Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What are some books you recommend on treasure hunting or metal detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2013
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

What are some books you recommend on treasure hunting or metal detecting?

Hi,
    I'm simply seeking some recommendations for treasure hunting and metal detecting books in general. I happen to be a beginner, so I don't have any yet. I'm particularly keen on older books, but newer books are fine too.
    Thank you
    A2coins and Texas Jay like this.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    11227 times
    Metal Detecting
    books? we doan need no stinkin books!!

I really don't know, I prefer just doing things

BTW welcome to the site
    A2coins likes this.
    EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK
    IT'S GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THAT'S WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY

May 2013
    9 times
    Thanks.
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Low & Slow 2C Below

Sep 2017
    SW Washington
    CTX 3030, XP DEUS, Excalibur II Garrett ATP, Whites DFX, Tesoro Golden ÁMax, & YUP->Custom Waterscoop
    3219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
    Hi,
    I'm simply seeking some recommendations for treasure hunting and metal detecting books in general. I happen to be a beginner, so I don't have any yet. I'm particularly keen on older books, but newer books are fine too.
    Thank you
    There are many books out there to help you in treasure hunting.

Books about how to better use and understand your detector.
    Books on old treasure stories that have not been found.
    Water hunting techniques
    Relic hunting
    Coin shooting
    Gold panning

What kind are you looking for ?
    A2coins likes this.
    Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

Charter Member
    us
    BILL

Jul 2015
    s.tier NY
    TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
    587 times
    Metal Detecting
    Any of Karl Von Mueller's books ....

um
    Dec 2008
    2746 times
    3cylbill: You are on the money! Sudden Wealth by "Deek Gladson" is the best short course on treasure finding ever written. The Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 and The Treasure Hunter's Manual #7(two very different books) by "Karl von Mueller" are classics for good reason. His Coinshooting Manual can save the beginner a great deal of time - as can his Master Hunter Manual. It was written for users of the old Garrett machine, but the first few chapters apply to anyone with a metal detector.

Unfortunately, his work is out of print and becoming pricey. What is your time worth? That's the key question. Reading the right books can save you a great deal of time, particularly when you are getting started.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    3cylbill and DeepseekerADS like this.
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

us
    Mar 2011
    Earth
    A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
    275 times
    Of course all of the Von Mueller/Gladson books but also Detector Owners Field Manual by Roy Lagal, Treasure Hunter's Digest by Jack Lewis, and Search by James Warnke are all good general treasure books for beginners. If you are particularly interested in a certain subject there are better ones.
    Never keep a paper dollar in your pocket till tomorrow

um
    Dec 2008
    2746 times
    It's too bad the Treasure Hunter's Digest didn't last more than one edition. A very good friend of mine took me to a bookstore to pick out a birthday present for myself. I saw that and was going through it thinking "I could write for them." Then I came across the map of sunken ships in the Great Lakes and said "I DID write for them!" It was from an article I'd written for Western Treasures - Bob Ames had ripped me off and never paid me for it!

So I wrote Jack Lewis a letter and explained the situation. He wrote me back right away, said he'd bought the rights to several articles from Ames, and he apologized. Then he said that apologies weren't the same as money - so he'd included a check!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

us
    Mar 2011
    Earth
    A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
    275 times
    My only issue with that book is on page 146 in reference to the Mel Fisher photo. Calling him "the late Mel Fisher" was about 23 years premature.

um
    Dec 2008
    2746 times
    Perhaps Mr. Fisher wasn't on time for the photo shoot.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Make America Think Again

us
    Mar 2011
    Earth
    275 times
    I guess that is a possibility.

Mar 2018
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
    Hi,
    Thank you
    The treasure diver's guide I think John potter wrote it

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15250 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    I have both Karl von Mueller's #6 and #7. I bought them to read, now it turns out they are each worth far more than I paid. They were a great investment! A quick look on eBay finds them running between $50 and $100.

Another good one is Charles Garrett's "Successful Coin Hunting".

Really, I think the greatest value in the books is the inspiration to get out and hunt.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Oct 2016
    444 times
    Researching Treasure Stories Author
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    It's too bad the Treasure Hunter's Digest didn't last more than one edition. A very good friend of mine took me to a bookstore to pick out a birthday present for myself. I saw that and was going through it thinking "I could write for them." Then I came across the map of sunken ships in the Great Lakes and said "I DID write for them!" It was from an article I'd written for Western Treasures - Bob Ames had ripped me off and never paid me for it!

So I wrote Jack Lewis a letter and explained the situation. He wrote me back right away, said he'd bought the rights to several articles from Ames, and he apologized. Then he said that apologies weren't the same as money - so he'd included a check!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
    Your good when they steal it

us
    Feb 2006
    Brownwood, Texas
    Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Deepseeker, Dowsing Rods
    1037 times
    If you haven't read Coronado's Children by J. Frank Dobie, you should. It will keep you motivated about treasure hunting for the rest of your life.
    ~Texas Jay
    Central Texas Treasure Club

Name:  Coronado'sChildren-Dobie-1931.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  18.3 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links