Karl Von Mueller's "Treasure Hunter's Manual #7".

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi ! ;D

What's so great about the subject book from 1974 (45 years ago !) ?

Not to disparage any book from the past, but does the subject book have information superior to what is in modern books, such as those by Clive James Clynick listed below ?

-The Gold Jewelry Hunter's Handbook: Finding Lost Gold at Beach, Park and Shoreline Metal Detecting Sites (2013)

-"Site Reading" for Gold and Silver Understanding Beach, Shore and Inland Metal Detecting Sites (2008)

-"Water Hunting" : Secrets of the Pros Finding Gold and Silver in the water with a Metal Detector (2005)

I'm not a water hunter; strictly inland parks and my primary focus is on finding valuable gold and silver jewelry (not cheap costume stuff).

I own the above books, have read them over and over and although they also include methods on water hunting, there's also lots of great tips and information on Inland hunting too.

Author C.J. Clynick started metal detecting in 1980 and his website now has (20) books listed.

Products Archive | Clive's Gold Page

I was about to order the subject book after reading several positive replies here, but then decided to ask the questions in my first two paragraphs first before laying out approx. $20.00 for a used paperback copy. I can't afford to waste money for information that might prove to be out-dated. :wink:

Thanks for your help with this.

ToddB64

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I looked some of his titles up, I check for page count compared to price. Also of note is primarily a minelab focus. So what was so great about Karl's manual that's 45 years old and full of out dated material? Karl was making the same quality finds as well as finding caches with primitive equipment. Read more than the Manual you mentioned and you wouldn't have had to ask.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the book used also and simply wasn't impressed. There are ton of books and information on the internet and I have found most of them are all very similar.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Also check who the publisher is. Then check page count, I did see one in the 30's and another in the 60's, plus a cone bound one. But I can't say self publishing is a bad thing, since I am one myself. The one thing he is doing right is there is no Kindle version, that forces sales into the hard copy market. Which means an $7-8 royality per sale.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I got the book used also and simply wasn't impressed. There are ton of books and information on the internet and I have found most of them are all very similar.

Yes today the info is all over out there, but back then Karl was one of the very few. Even YouTube provides tons of how to info.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I do understand what you mean by it's all over out there, since I am into the treasure story thing. Most borrowed and even included the same spelling errors!

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Karl Von Mueller's "Treasure Hunter's Manual #7"

I will admit that my opening sentence could have been worded softer in deference to Karl Von Mueller and fans and for that I apologize, however, my paragraph (in quotes below) conveyed the core spirit and purpose of my post.

"I was about to order the subject book after reading several positive replies here, but then decided to ask the questions in my first two paragraphs first
before laying out approx. $20.00 for a used paperback copy. I can't afford to waste money for information that might prove to be out-dated. :wink: "

Notice, in the above paragraph I said "might" prove to be out dated, so it could have been perceived and concluded that I really wasn't sure and was asking for opinions before spending money.

ToddB64

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is indeed a lot of free information on the internet. I have either purchased or won several books on treasure hunting. The internet mimics what the books say, and the books mimic what the internet says.

The methods for finding nice stuff will not change, that horse can't be re-invented. The technology changes, but it basically comes down to getting the loop over a target and deciding to dig it.

I'm not very familiar with either author. I learned my machines the hard way!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
One paragraph of Karl's material opened the door for something I plan to work on.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Karl is the King of Treasure Hunting. He was also a dealer who sold my first detector, White.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a couple KVM books and I think they are creepy.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little late to this conversation but about 6 months ago I was in the same boat as Todd. Having several metal detecting books I wasn't expecting anything from a 40 year old book but I am actually surprised at how well written it is and all the little tips that I have not seen anywhere else before.

Just as an example there is a section where he talks about using his metal detector (you could use a pinpointer these days) to map out the walls in a house every stud and locate secret hiding spots. He talks about how people would make a small hole and roll up money and fish it down a wall and leave a wire hanging and plaster over the wire and using uv light to locate. - The book is full of little things like this that. I have mine on the night stand and sometime read a page or two. I have yet to read it cover to cover. Sure there is a lot of dated material in terms of tech but I think that is also kinda cool as well. If the people in his book could find treasure with primitive detectors then we definitely should be able to. Now some of the stuff is a bit dishonest as well. Would you disguise yourself as a bird watcher to be on someone's land??

I have yet to read a modern metal detecting book with as much material. Although I would like to write such a book going into detail of using the internet to aid treasure hunting, but generally people want there knowledge from a seasoned professional with some examples of cache recovery so maybe in another 5 to 10 years I have a few more miles under my shoes and stories to tell.

At any rate.. I think if your serious about the hobby for $20-30 dollars you have a real piece of history if you own the book and there is plenty to learn.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a book lover - shelves and shelves of books, a number of book clubs over the years. The entire Foxfire series... = great for survivalists :)

I have 5 books by Clive, two by KVM, one by Gary Drayton......

Trouble is, I get started reading and get really, really sleepy......

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Clive's are the best metal detecting books out there. He REALLY knows his stuff.

Guess I shouldn't be giving out my secrets.

My copies are double underlined, circled, arrows in the margins, highlited, and many of my own notes in the margins.

Do a search for clivesgoldpage

Last edited:

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at your list of metal detectors (WOW$), a used copy for an "Andy Jackson" seems like a deal to me. Take a chance, odds are ...you'll enjoy it.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunter's Manual #7 is NOT about detectors and/or technology, it is about hunting for treasure on land, and it is still the best out there. If you like real cache hunting it is important. I am quite happy all the previous posters seem to think a book written 45 years ago is obsolete, they become less competition for me and others who have been at it for a while and know how to size up an old property in minutes. Go ahead, hunt randomly all over a place, KVM trained guys already know the top possible places for a cache to be hidden. One of my old hunting buddies makes 60-80 grand a year every year by taking KVM to heart.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunter's Manual #7 is NOT about detectors and/or technology, it is about hunting for treasure on land, and it is still the best out there. ......KVM trained guys already know the top possible places for a cache to be hidden.

KVMs techniques are so "old school" that you dont even need a metal detector, it just makes some of the searching easier. Those OLD detectors had some huge advantages for cache hunting that our modern, super sensitive, motion disc wonder detectors just cant match.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Karl had some great insight on the evolution of lost story stories.

SanMan

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2012
West Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, AT Max, AT Gold - Tesoro Euro Sabre - Tesoro Bandido II uMax - Troy X2 - Tesoro Stingray - Mojave - Fisher 1280X- Fisher 1235X - and many more.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunter's Manual #7 is NOT about detectors and/or technology, it is about hunting for treasure on land, and it is still the best out there. If you like real cache hunting it is important. I am quite happy all the previous posters seem to think a book written 45 years ago is obsolete, they become less competition for me and others who have been at it for a while and know how to size up an old property in minutes. Go ahead, hunt randomly all over a place, KVM trained guys already know the top possible places for a cache to be hidden. One of my old hunting buddies makes 60-80 grand a year every year by taking KVM to heart.

Up arrow.JPG

"The smartest man in the room"

SanMan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions