Metal Detecting Books for novices

aw11mr2

May 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two books that were written for new metal detector owners. There are other general treasure hunting books out there but I would not recommend any book older than about 2005. I think that is about the time the “pinpointer” (hand-held metal detector) came into general use (especially for coins and gold nuggets) making the recovery process faster.

Metal Detecting Bible.jpg Metal Detecting Smith.jpg

The books contain topics such as types of metal detectors, detecting techniques (for parks, beach, gold nuggets, relics, etc.), gold prospecting, researching for detecting sites, getting permission to search private property, cleaning your finds, etc. I think the novice metal detector owner will find either book beneficial. However, the book by Mark Smith contains over twice as many pages and uses the space to include more illustrations, pictures, and information, especially on beach detecting and gold prospecting.

As the detectorist gains experience and wants to specialize, there are many books on detecting for coins and jewelry in soil, beach sand, and shallow water; searching for relics and buried caches; prospecting for gold and meteorites and other types of treasure hunting. Check your local library or interlibrary loan system to see if you can review these and any other treasure hunting books.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the one that covers hiding finds on permission hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread