Meteorite Hunting

aw11mr2

May 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meteorite Hunting: How to Find Treasure from Space
Meteorite_Hunting.jpg

I believe this is the first book Geoffrey Notkin has written on meteorite hunting. According to the book, Mr. Notkin has written various science articles and was co-host (with partner Steve Arnold) on Science Channel’s television series Meteorite Men. There are many color photographs that clarify and enhance the text. The color photographs of meteorites as found on the ground surface is very helpful to show the color and texture of the meteorites you can expect to find in the field.

How to Find Treasure from Space: The Expert Guide to Meteorite Hunting and Identification
Find Treasure from Space.jpg Find Treasure from Space2.jpg

This book is listed as a revised and expanded third edition. This book contains most of the photographs in the first edition with additional text, illustrations, and photographs. The book also adds another chapter titled Preparing for an Expedition, listing items to bring. The book provides the fundamentals to prepare you to search and recover meteorites.

Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites
Field_Guide_Meteors_Meterorites.jpg

This book is practically a college course on the science and study of meteors and meteorites. The book has abundant photographs (color and black/white) of the various types of meteorites (mineral and chemical compositions) showing the outer surface, cut sections showing the internal structures, and thin sections showing the mineral crystals. Chapter Ten: In the Field discusses the topics of interest to us (Also discussed in Notkin’s meteorite hunting books): What should you look for?,
Hunting with a metal detector, Is it legal?, What are meteorites worth?, and Is collecting meteorites legal? The book also includes website links to information on Old falls and finds, Meteorite law, & Metal Detectors and hunting.

The three books noted above each contain a chapter to help identify non-meteorite rocks (called meteorwrongs) because they may look like meteorites or react to the metal detector (hot rocks).

Rock Star: Adventures of a Meteorite Man
Rock Star.jpg

This is essentially Geoffrey Notkin’s autobiography, focusing on his adventures traveling around the world hunting for meteorites.

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I always thought Bob Haag of Tuscon held the official title of "Meteorite Man". Did he have anything to do with the show? Either way, interesting books and I will be on the lookout for all four. I went through a couple year spell where I hunted for meteorites but never had any success. I mostly searched miles of fence lines around old farms. Your post prompted me to break out my signed copy of the Haag collection of meteorites. Loads of color photos of every kind of meteorite imaginable, but not really a "field guide". The third book on your list will be the one I look for first.

Attachments

• 20191208_081115.jpg
    20191208_081115.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread