Treasure: The Business & Technology by Phillip S. Olin

aw11mr2

May 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 1998 revised edition of this book. Published by Key Lime Publishing, Inc.

img827.jpg

I have seen copies offered on the used book market for sale with a 2012 publishing date. I don’t know whether those are a newer edition or a reprint of the 1998 edition. I conducted a cursory search for Phillip S. Olin and he does not show up. The book I have is divided into two sections. The first 190 pages is new text. The pagination starts again at 0 and the remaining 189 pages contains the original first edition (1991). The original book was written when word processing on personal computers was relatively new. It seems the author lost the file, so he reprinted the original text (1991) and then added the 1998 revision as a separate section. The 1998 revised edition came with software that was not with the used book I acquired: One was a coupon for demo disks to “Professional Navigation Software Demo.” With the advent of GPS, this software is now irrelevant. The other information included sample texts for a private investment offering and a non-disclosure agreement. The text for the investment package is included in the book but not the non-disclosure agreement.

The book focuses primarily on searching for wreaks in shallow water and adjacent to the ocean. When the author wrote the book, he believed that a treasure hunter could profitably search and recover treasure from a shallow wreck or inland buried treasure/relics. It will take dedication and persistence. The recommendation of conducting the business of treasure hunting is still applicable (research, business plan, distribution of finds, getting an appropriate lawyer, etc.). There is also a lot of discussion of conducting the nvestigation in a systematic way using land & marine archaeological methods to document the recovery. The technology portion of the book describes the state-of the-art of 1998 plus some discussion of new technology that might help in the search for treasure buried in the overburden/sand.

If you want to read about the wrong way to hunt for sunken treasure, try to find the book Women Can Find Shipwrecks Too, by Margaret L. Brandeis.

Women_can_find_shipwreaks_1.jpg Women_can_find_shipwreaks_2.jpg

Short synopsis: A couple in the 1980s decided they wanted to go on an adventure. Both were scuba divers and learned that the dive boat they used was originally built to search for shipwrecks in Panama. A plan was made to take the boat down the Pacific coast to Panama, through the Panama Canal, and head to Florida. It is a cautionary tale of the numerous problems that occurred.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions