Selections From The National Prospector's Gazette

aw11mr2

May 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selections From the National Prospector’s Gazette, Volumes I, II, & III
By Karl von Mueller, compiled by Randy E. Bradford

Commendation to Randy Bradford for providing these books to the treasure hunting community! The National Prospector’s Gazette was full of valuable information. Some of the references are dated, but I agree that the information should be included to provide historical context. The treasure hunting community at the time did not have readily available access to some electronic tools and a lot of the historical records/documents. Each book has a Preface that provides an excellent description of what is included and Karl von Mueller’s newsletter publishing history. The books cover the time period between August 1969 and November 1983.

Volume I: Examino Looks At Books. I consider this book an adjunct to The Journals of El Dorado by Karl von Mueller and Estee Conatser. Most if not all of the books are listed in both books, however, Exanimo Looks At Books contain expanded reviews.
NPG Volume I.jpg

Volume II: Ask Exanimo! This book contains numerous Questions to and Answers by Karl von Mueller. Due to the typical necessity of secrecy during the research and recovery phases of treasure hunting, these Q & A segments provide an opportunity to learn a wide assortment of treasure hunting/outdoor/technical information and a few treasure leads.
NPG Volume II.jpg

Volume III: Exanimo Exposés. I have been impatiently waiting for this book and so far, it does not disappoint. It is packed with an abundant variety of articles by Karl von Mueller and other writers. The book is the thickness of Volume I and II combined (x + 283 pages + index). I may disagree with one or two of Karl von Mueller’s personal thoughts but overall, I appreciate his treasure hunting advice which has guided me through a great hobby.

There is an article on the LUE which satisfy some questions and yet there are still so many things unanswered. On page 165 is an article titled Where did thy go? Where are they now? The long list of names brought back memories of the numerous treasure hunting articles and stories I read a long time ago. On page 210 is a photograph of a Merkitch sifter. The remnants of the Merkitch sifter I built as a teenager is sitting in my backyard.
NPG Volume III.jpg

So much treasure lore to be processed. . . Still reading Volume III (need to get more Post-Its) and already anticipating Volume IV.
IMG_1589.jpg

View attachment 1794507

p.s. This is the pamphlet for building the Warren Merkitch sand sifter
merkitch sifter.jpg

Last edited:

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know volume III was out. I'm looking forward to getting it! Checking Amazon now.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I read both 1 and 2 several times, and plan to order volume 3!

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Last night, I looked the book up on Amazon and there is a look inside feature to give an idea of what is covered. It looks pretty interesting.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Three arrived and have started reading it. Plenty of material here, I hope my review goes up.

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
To everyone who's responded to this post, thanks for your support. Volume III had a lot of unexpected delays, but I'd like to think it was worth the wait. I'm improving (I think) in my approach and style and the material keeps lending itself to improvements in the layout and ultimately what I'm able to share, particularly photographs.

Volume IV (the final in the series) I'm HOPING for a late Summer-Fall release. The initial manuscript is complete and needs a second editting and then the index. That one will be an interesting mix of material as it will comprise the "Tips for Prospectors" column, the Dowsing stories/columns, as well as "bulletins" that KvM often printed indicating brief (usually a single paragraph) description of both leads and recoveries. The final book will be in the 250 page range and hopefully will be a fitting end to this series.

Then, it's onto other projects...have several of those close to completion as well and I think at least one will interest anyone who liked these NPG books.

Thanks again, nice to know some folks find this stuff interesting. :)

Randy

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Randy,

Any update on Vol IV ?

Thanks,
Ryano

Manuscript is on my desk...just needs revisions and an index...sometimes after I finish one part of a book I lose steam and it takes me a while to get my traction again. I've also been working on a large collection of previously published Harry Chrisman material and a few other things. I haven't lost sight of the goal and I hope to finish the nPG series sometime before the summer. *crossing my fingers*

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the review.

I bought one, cant remember which one, and really enjoyed it.

Some out dated stuff, but a lot of good articles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread