Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Need Opinions on "Detectorist", by Robert H. Sickler

(Book List Updated Dec. 26, 2009)
Dear friends,

I'm contemplating the purchase of a MD'ing book, titled Detectorist (Added to list below on 6-28-2008), by Robert H. Sickler and would appreciate opinions pro/con from those of you who have either read it or know of reports from others who have read it.

For those who might wish to make alternate MD'ing book suggestion(s), below is a list of publications I already have. My price range "comfort zone" is anything up to $35.00, including extra fees. However, I will consider spending more for a book that has resounding corporate praise and if an older publication, considered timeless (still current) information. I realize that older publications often create a "warm spot" in a persons heart and are highly revered keepsakes, but a lot of the information is obsolete by today's standards.......these I will give a parting salute :icon_salut:, but sorry, not interested.

Books: Allen, Brian & Potter, Ken - Strike It Rich With Pocket Change Error Coins

Brockett, Robert C. - Taking A Closer Look At Metal Detector Discrimination

Brook, Ty - Inside Treasure Hunting

Chaplan, Michael - The Urban Treasure Hunter

Clynick, Clive James - "Site - Reading" for Gold and Silver

Fahey, Patrick - Advanced Coin Shooting

Garrett, Charles - How To Find Lost Treasure

Garrett, Charles - Totally Revised Modern Metal Detectors

Garrett, Charles - The New Successful Coin Hunting, Revised Edition

Hughes, Dan - The Metal Detecting Manual

Pascucci, Vincent C. - Metal Detecting Previously Hunted Sites

Sallee, Larry - The Complete, Unabridged Zip Zip Gold Nugget Hunting

Sickler, Robert - Detectorist, Second Edition

Stout, Dick - Coin Hunting...In Depth

Stout, Dick - The New Metal Detecting The Hobby

Yeoman, R.S. - Red Book, A Guide Book of U.S.Coins, Year 2006, 59th Edition

I also have Tesoros' MDI (Metal Detector Information) magazine, several off-the-rack editions of Silver & Gold magazine and have subscribed to W & E Treasures magazine in the past, so I am familiar with what these publications have to offer. However, at the moment I am interested in metal detecting books.

Thanks much !
Todd :)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Need Opinions on "Detectorist", by Robert H. Sickler

Sickler's book, The Detectorist is an excellent addition to any Mder library. The techniques he writes about are usable, no matter what detector you're using. The tool belt he shows is a too involved for my taste, but that's OK. Personally I like to simplify. :)

Another good book is Search, by Warnke. Covers everyplace caches have been found.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Shortstack said:
Sickler's book, The Detectorist is an excellent addition to any Mder library. The techniques he writes about are usable, no matter what detector you're using. The tool belt he shows is a too involved for my taste, but that's OK. Personally I like to simplify. :)

Another good book is Search, by Warnke. Covers everyplace caches have been found.

Shortstack,

Thanks a lot for the help !

HH..............Todd ;D

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

05kas05 said:
i am new to the hobby and some of the stuff i did not understand but after using my detector and this forum i am figuring it all out but still have a lot to learn overall i think this would be a good book for any detectorist to add to his library of books

Thanks 05kas05 !

I've decided to go ahead and order the Detectorist........all that remains is a little bit of shopping for best price. :icon_study:

I see you are swinging the White's MXT ! For someone who is "new to the hobby", you made a wise choice ! :thumbsup:

HH.........Todd :wave:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wise choice!! Great book. You'll enjoy it.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hi Newfiehunter !

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the Detectorist. It shipped to me today and I can't wait to get my hands on it ! It's been a long nasty winter here in SouthEastern Ohio and I been rereading all my MD'ing
books & magazines :read2:.........need something new !

Todd

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Todd.

Just like you, we had a nasty winter here too. Just got dumped on 2 weeks ago with 2 metres of snow. It's goin to be awhile yet before I can go detecting again. Trying to get as much reading in before the new season starts. Wish I could be in Florida right now!!

Anyway, you'll enjoy Detectorist. Very informative. My copy was autograped by Robert Sickler since I ordered directly from him.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Dear friends,

Well, I got the Sickler book Detectorist and IMHO it's a "must read" ! Has new information not found in my other books (Listed in my original post.). I recommend it highly ! :thumbsup:

Thanks to all who gave me positive feedback earlier.

Todd

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other

I own this book and I would recommend it. The book gives you an easy explanation of a lot of things that you normally wouldn't think of as the novice or even an experienced detectorist. I have actually detected with the Joe Patrick who has also contributed to the book, and I own one of the first copies. I can honestly say that this book changed the way that I look at hunting sites and helped me to recognize "people magnets".

Having been a Detectorist since 1972 and reading this book at it's release in 1993, it definately was an influence on the way that I hunt.

I have picked up this book many times over the years and re-read certain sections. I highly recommend the book to any detectorist, it will help you improve.

OP
OP
ToddB64

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey hotrod53 !

Thanks for bringing new life to this thread ! :thumbsup:

Like you, I keep Detectorist handy and refer to it often. The professional drawings, coupled with the textual information, are unique.Lot's of information not found elsewhere !

I highly recommend this book and IMO, every detectorist should own a copy !

BTW, I just up-dated my list (Top of thread) with six more books; total now (16).

Todd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread