Mounds

N

nutso

New York mounds have a few explanations. Mounds were made during the Rev war during battles where they dug in and they are still there. I see mounds in the woods all the time however nature makes these. When very large trees fall during a wind storm or succomb to disease the root ball takes with it a large amount of soil. I have seen these root balls standing 15 feet tall. After many years the ball decays, the soil drops into a mound, the whoel left by the ball fills in with leaves and debris and a mound is created. Land owners often cut these trees up for firewood so there isn't always evidence of the tree ever being there. I could keep an archie busy forever if I wanted.

M

minelabex1000

I've never found or even seen a mound (other than an ant hill but that's another story). Several years ago, at a certain meeting, I met someone who claimed to have dug several ancient mounds. He told me he (and his buddy) dug hundreds of perfect artifacts. After hearing all he had to say I became convinced that he was telling me the truth.

My personal perspective on this is that these obvious graves should be respected and protected. If however, a grave site has been subjected to extreme damage due to land development, etc., I think it best to carefully relocate all remains to a more fitting location. I think in this case the removal of artifacts may be justified if they are donated to an appropriate museum.

Anyway, these are my thoughts.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
Think of the number of people who have walked this earth from the time you belive man came to be. Now step out the back door toss a shovle in the air. When it hits the ground your guilty.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff davis said:
Hounddog,

There is nothing wrong with digging anywhere on your own property. Unless you have items on your property that can legally have access through your property such as power lines underground, gas lines or others. The digging is not the wrong, it is when you find something of a historical or archeological value and you continue to dig without reporting it to the authorities. It is just like the underground power or gas lines, you must report when you have to dig near one of these. The county or state will send someone out to locate the pipeline so as you not being sued for damages. The same is true of artifacts. Once found and you continue to desecrate them without contacting the authorites. You can get by with it, but if a neighbor or anyone else finds out, you can be arrested. These laws are on the books. When unsure contact an attorney. If not you could be liable or go to jail. Also if there is enough artifacts on your property, when you are in violation you can be evicted from your property and the government will then own your property while you are on the street or in jail. The legal way is the best way.
This is still AMERICA?YES?Unless I dig up human remains,any and everything I find on my property is MINE.I will fight that tooth and nail!BTW-I PM'D JEB-THE ORIGINAL POSTER WHO STARTED THIS AND HE SAID THE MOUNDS ARE STILL THERE AND THAT WAS IT.THE CURIOUSITY WOULD KILL ME,I'D HAVE TO DIG,AND IF I FOUND ANYTHING OF "HISTORICAL"IMPORTANCE THEN IT WOULD BE MY DECISION WHETHER OR NOT TO DONATE SOME OF THESE ITEMS TO A LOCAL MUSEUM OR HISTORICAL SOCIETY.WHAT HAS HAPPENED WITH PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY?YOU BETTER STAND UP AND STOP HAVING YOUR GOV. TELL YOU WHAT YOU CAN AND CAN'T DO!!!!!!
Hounddog said:
Think of the number of people who have walked this earth from the time you belive man came to be. Now step out the back door toss a shovle in the air. When it hits the ground your guilty.
YEAH RIGHT!!HELLO PEOPLE!!ANYBODY OUT THERE?????????

Bulletboy

Feb 17, 2005
I would get in touch with a University to find out what government entity is in authority over these situations. I would want to gather information from other sources without contacting any entity first hand so as to keep the site private. I'm sure the Feds would want to have a finger in that pie. A guy I know was telling last yr. about a blackmarket that exists for Native American artifacts from burial mounds in Mississippi.
As far as private property goes, how many times does the state or Feds call private land Eminent Domain or easments for building roads, powerlines or expansion of some existing facility. Once these guys are in and make a decision, in their favor most likely, you'll never get 'em out. They could be wrong or just abusing their authority or interpreting laws the way they want and it would boil down to time and money for legal fees to recover legal rights whatever they may be.
Then the local Historical Society would be on your @ss for what they think is right, so there you go again. But more than likely, the landowner will let it go which ever way is decided no avoid the hassle of an IRS audit or whatever arm twisting they use if he balks.
I always figure situations like that could turn into a circus with helicopters from CNN and the Discovery channel and Concession stands..... you get the idea. 8)

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
I have been following this thread and I have a question. May be I missed it, but how do you know that these are burial mounds. I remember someone sayiing they have seen mounds forming from tree roots and I know that earthworks from the civilwar can look like mounds. Also morans can appear to be mounds. The suggestion of using GPR is a good one. I would investigate them further, there are many ways to do that without digging them. As for them being old grave yards colonial era etc, you do not know if they are unless you DO dig them up.

resq937

Mar 6, 2005
THEN AGAIN IF THE PRESENT OWNER HAS ALOT OF DESEASED EX WIVES OR SOMETHIN---MIGHT BE A BAD IDEA TO ASK HIM ELSE YOU BECOME THE THIRD MOUND---BUT I AGREE WITH THE COMMENT OF IF IT WAS MY PROPERTY THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN DUG BEFORE THE PEN HIT THE TABLE AT CLOSING

W

williamtell

As Far as I know it is Illegal to disturb any object historical significance. In Minnesota you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, this directly related to the removal of artifacts from Indian burial mounds on private property Located north of HWY 11 between International Falls, and Loman, MN

W

williamtell

I have found that it is a federal offence to dig up any mound that is thought to have any possible historic significance I.E. (Burial mound) without first contacting the state and the local authorities. You could face a 30,000 fine and up to 15 years in prison

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread