Signs of a good location

spdnj

Feb 11, 2009
I am hoping people here will share some of their tips to identifying a good location to hunt when looking for places in the woods that hold history. Some examples that are basic are foundations, cellar holes and structures but what are are some of the more subtle things that successful people look for?

xdanthemanx

Oct 25, 2007
clarkston michigan
Detector(s) used
E-trac & XLT
well rows of black walnut or huge oak trees is a giveaway
also while driving down back roads you have to look for very faint old pathways that used to come into the road also a lot of the sites are near the top of hills rather than in lower sections due to flooding fruit trees of any kind are a giveway also ground covering ivy and iris usually where you find this stuff there is an old homestead near it look for the tall green and yellow grass
ive also walked onto several early 1800 homesites where there were still rosebushes tupips and assorted other flowers that rarely end up these kind of places without beeing planted, big collections of jack pines in the middle of no where tell you something
I will tell you i have come across deep stone lined wells that were not filled in at all on several homesites as others here will attest, they are still there and can be covered up by overgrowing grass, sticks and such
you def have to keep your eye out for these.
hope this helps
Dan

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non native decorative plants,trees,fruit trees,bushes or trees in a row.Springs or near creeks.Also pottery,porceline,china and glass shards.Research!!!!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright: ;D ;D ;D A good sign ;D

Couldn't resist........

Attachments

• treasure-here.jpg
    treasure-here.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 915

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Around here in WI, seems like most old homesteads had lilac bushes in front of the house. The lilacs are still growing, usually with a cellar hole behind them.

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When looking for an older home site in the woods, I will often look for younger trees. If there is an area where there are no old growth trees, or just a couple, it might be where the home site may have been. A lot of determining where I start to look has to do with previous research too based on plat maps, old topos, etc.

Doug

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
High ground, near water...look for black glass and blue rim/feather edge china...then you're in the zone. All of these usually add up to a "good location."

GT

BC_coiner

Tenderfoot
Apr 2, 2011
Sooke
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Dankowski-modified CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for remains of gardens. Lilacs in the middle of nowhere. Also, patches of tin cans all in one place (old dumps) usually found very close to inhabitation. Telegraph poles, modifications on trees, etc. I tend to walk along old roads just to see what I'll find. do your research. Look at settlement maps. HH.

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell my kids that stone walls usually lead to something so follow them! Look for the openings so you can see the way that stuff was moved in/out.

Bing maps also let you see the woods in the fall without the leaves on the trees. This way I see the stonewalls and how they are positioned.

Look for myrtle.

As xdanthemanx said: WATCH OUT FOR UNCOVERED WELLS! I'm seen these as well, VERY DANGEROUS!. I usually put large branches in them so I or someone else can spot them.

Last edited:

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rock piles are a sure sign of land clearing, for either a homesite, or cultivation. Also examine closely unnatural mounds and depressions, and anytime you get iron signals at least you know peaople were there or passing through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions