Newbie first time post

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

Learn the owners' manual for your machine. Then start in your own front and back yards. This is no joke. Get to know your machine by using it in your yard and dig EVERYTHING, so you can see what your detector is telling you and you can practice leaving no sign of your digging. Take pride in leaving no sign that your were ever in an area. While you're practicing in your own yard, start your research on your local area (town and county). Louisville has a lot of history going waaaaaaay back. Research where any old parks, ball fields, circus lots, old schools, etc. were located. See what's there today. Find out what the local laws are for using the parks and school yards. While searching your local school yards, DO NOT use any digger or retrieving tools that looks like a weapon. i.e. knife. I have a Japanese horticulture digger that looks like a sheath knife with a bent blade. I DO NOT carry it to the local school grounds. I use a slim blade screwdriver (called an electrician's screwdriver with a 10 inch shank) for probing and a heavy shanked, common screwdriver for popping out the target. Most targets will be no deeper than the grass roots, unless the area has been filled in or sodded over the years. I've found coins from the 1800s, war nickels, Barber coins, IH pennies, and jewelry at grassroot level. Of course, relics such as CW stuff can be deep or shallow depending on the uses the land has gone through during the years.
While learning about your local area, learn where NOT to go alone. Safety first. Try to find a local detecting club to join. A good place to start is with any local or nearby detector dealers. They should know a lot of info you'll want to know. Including any clubs.

Read all of the topics about relic hunting and coin hunting that you can find on this forum. There are gobs of good info here.

Good luck and happy hunting. We all are still learning, no matter how long we've done this. So keep reading and developing your techniques and LEARNING YOUR MACHINE. (not yelling, just emphasising, ;D )

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum. :hello:

Shortstack covered everything very well and there isn't much anyone can add. Learn how to use the screwdriver to "Pop" the coin out when it is shallow an leave the shovel for the woods & fields. Read all you can about the hobby and subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures magazine to get more knowledge/fun out of the hobby.

Garrett has a nice book called, Successful Coin Hunting that describes many places to hunt that you may never think of doing.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions