Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goes4ever said:
well if I actually found something that valuable and it came down to paying bills, and feeding my family or selling......I'd be selling

Don't blame you a bit. It's only metal!

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Not all relics are valuable, in fact, most aren't so it's really not worth it to sell them. As others said, most relics are more valuble as pieces of history and it shuld b documented where they came from and their history. I had a lot of dug things from a civil war battlefield i had got off ebay I sold it because i was not really shur wher somone had dug it and it probably was not all c.w. plus, I had not dug it so it felt like i had cheated almost haha But, I did sell my 1828 half cent from my picture and two or three silver dollars that were from a relative when i went thru a hard time and i still think about it all the time and it kills me. dont make my mistake, because money will always be around history anf family wont :'(

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
If I count my time gas and work I feel that my common civil war bullets are worth at least $50 each.
I did recently find a very rare confederate button only 6 known! For the right amount of cash any thing I have found is for sell.
I want to keep it but like Iron Patch said when the cash is there and you need or want something (fancy new detector) then sell
it. If you plan on making money relic hunting good luck with that. I do not think you can even make money coin hunting.
Best bet to make some cash would be gold at the beach.

Jason

Adventure Wolf

Mar 28, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discover
I knew a guy who went professional. He spent two years going broke and then turned to grave robbing.

I like going to places where urban development might destroy the relics that are there. When I do that, I feel as if I am preserving history. To me, keeping things from being destroyed is rewarding.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adventure Wolf said:
I knew a guy who went professional. He spent two years going broke and then turned to grave robbing.

I like going to places where urban development might destroy the relics that are there. When I do that, I feel as if I am preserving history. To me, keeping things from being destroyed is rewarding.

He didn't go professional, he went criminal.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PBK said:
Iron Patch said:
Anyone who puts in an honest effort and finds a relic on a site they have permission has every right to do with it what they want.
Agreed

Well said!

I agree with those who point out that there is a certain responsibility that comes with the recovery of any important relic. However, I see no reason why good stewardship of a find should be confined only to keeping it or giving it away to some "deserving" person or institution. As Iron Patch says, more often than not it's a matter of effort rather than luck. Success is hard bought, both in terms of actual monetary investment and in skill, experience, and sweat equity. Those who have paid the price deserve to paid in return. No one else is entitled to claim or seize what you have worked long and hard to find— not archaeologists, not curators, not bureaucrats, not grasping "friends" or relatives... no one.

I might also add that selling a relic to an advanced collector very often assures its proper preservation and appreciation far more than handing it over to, say, a museum or university. Indeed, most of the definitive works on relics have been written by collectors and independent, avocational scholars. We know what we are doing, and we do it well. On the other hand, some of the greatest crimes against surviving fragments of the past have been committed by professionals with more degrees than a thermometer, and not a whit of practical ability or firsthand experience.

Hunting relics for money is a bad idea on a lot of levels— but receiving money for relics honestly and painstakingly obtained is a right which no one should surrender or deny.

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
Theres money in the tot lots! I don't think the purest md'er out there would give two hoots if you cashed in that clad. You find your self a few schools that know one else is hitting and it will pay for a ace 250 real quick.
Just saying there is much easyer ways of mding for a few bucks.

M

miner812

I want to know what everyone of my relics is worth. If something happens to me and my family runs into hard times and needs money I don't want them getting taken by a crooked relic dealer. I had too sell some of my relics about 2 years ago because of hard times but my kids had to eat and we needed a house more. attached too my relics sure! But attached too my family more. And yes just one relic can be worth thousands of dollars if your lucky enough too find it.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I do my relic hunting in a professional mode. I hunt farms and old home lots in small Townes. I offer the owner 50% of the findings or 50% of the value
of valueable items like diamond rings. I use the alternate pic system to divide the finds. Sometimes they are amazed that I pic a rusty iron object over a coin. I do conservation work on items like old ax heads, R.R. spikes and plowes. I mount them on black walnut placks. Do I sell them? Not yet, but I am open to offers!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has their own reasons for getting a metal detector. It's all about how much passion you put into it, that makes it's own reward. I've done well on the coins and relics I have sold. I don't sell everything, but have sold several high dollar items. All of this only took 9 years to accomplish. If you buy a detector specifically to make money, YOU'RE IN FOR A BIG LET DOWN. I spend alot of free time detecting, mostly at colonial sites, and usually come home with a few "trinkets". My guess is: After your first month of detecting, the detector will find a nice home.....in your attic!

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am very possessive with my finds. I freshwater hunt, but will be dipping into relic hunting soon. Anything I found out of a freshwater pond that was worth something I have locked up in a safe. Selling the stuff??? Maybe if I found a nasty band...and would be getting TOP TOP dollar for it. I have difficulty parting with finds as you can see. I can see the same problem persisting into relic hunting. LOL. HH -Joe

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Real Relic hunters would agree with your sentiment about selling things, however, unfortunately there is a THing contingent that is into relic hunting and they're where a lot of the relics on fleabay come from. What drives me nuts about that is all information about where it came from and its context are lost and its useless to the historical record. As relic hunters we have an obligation to record where we make our finds and the more information you can provide the more valuable it may be someday, if the site is ever excavated and the data gathered.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends upon how good/lucky you are. Say you dig a dumped pile of artillery shells. After having them disarmed and survive you may decide to sell a few. I have yet to be so lucky but have met guys that are. I agree it needs to be a hobby and not looked at for monetary gain but then of course you can go to many web sites in the south that have many dug relics for sale. So somebody is selling them you just do not see many people here posting their proud finds and sending them out for sale. Not me anyways. I might give ya something first before I would sell it.
Ancient Indian relics is a diffrent animal. People buy sell and trade all the time building or eliminating collections as the values with them are much higher.Sometimes two arrowheads is worth more than an average box plate. One specific arrowhead authenticated may be worth over a thousand dollars. I do not like to put values on my finds.

Now if I was a meteorite hunter and successful at it I could retire and hunt my rusty relics and old rocks
:icon_sunny:

People that sell relics:

http://www.relicman.com/

http://www.virginiarelics.com/

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
The Real Relic hunters would agree with your sentiment about selling things, however, unfortunately there is a THing contingent that is into relic hunting and they're where a lot of the relics on fleabay come from. What drives me nuts about that is all information about where it came from and its context are lost and its useless to the historical record. As relic hunters we have an obligation to record where we make our finds and the more information you can provide the more valuable it may be someday, if the site is ever excavated and the data gathered.

So since I've sold some dug relics I am not a real relic hunter? ;D I think it's quite the opposite if I can find stuff that's good enough that is worth selling. Who's to say when someone finds something what they should do with it? I know guys that sell nothing, and also know people that sell everything, and it makes no difference to me because it's their find.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah, but did you pass along any info on where said relics came from, or just sell them? Context does matter for the record.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
Ah, but did you pass along any info on where said relics came from, or just sell them? Context does matter for the record.

Context for what record? For example a 1700s shoe buckle found in a field.... how does that fit in? 99.9+% of items sold on Ebay would not be looked at as historically significant so giving the location would be nothing more than for interest sake to the buyer. Do you relic hunt? If not, I question where and how you formed your opinion. And if you do relic hunt how many historical finds you made that are worthy of being documented for future reference, and what purpose will that serve?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, I'll explain how context works. You find that shoe buckle in a field and add it to your collection with some kind of note that at least can get you back to that general area in the future. Ten years from now a project with federal money is put through there and the Archaeologists start doing a survey and ask. the people in the area if anyone has found anything, because they realize this used to be a colonial fort. If you value history you either donate it to their project or let them examine and photograph it, so they can add the information to the historical record. Despite what I've seen on these boards, Archaeologists are not the enemy. A lot of the holes in the historical record have been filled by Archaeologists doing in-depth analysis with as many pieces as they can find and where they were found. Before you say anything negative about Archaeologists, there are bad apples on both sides of this. There are relic hunters that are genuine grave robbers. I just recently found out about one in North Alabama that has actually dug into Civil War graves that are marked and in a cemetary to get belt buckles. But, I also know of Archaeologists that have made artifacts disappear from sites they were working. So, if you can, make a note of where you found something and keep it with the artifact, could come in handy some day. Once we forget where something was found (and you never know what might be significant) the information is lost forever. No, I'm not an Archaeologist, but a very serious historian.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
Ok, I'll explain how context works. You find that shoe buckle in a field and add it to your collection with some kind of note that at least can get you back to that general area in the future. Ten years from now a project with federal money is put through there and the Archaeologists start doing a survey and ask. the people in the area if anyone has found anything, because they realize this used to be a colonial fort. If you value history you either donate it to their project or let them examine and photograph it, so they can add the information to the historical record. Despite what I've seen on these boards, Archaeologists are not the enemy. A lot of the holes in the historical record have been filled by Archaeologists doing in-depth analysis with as many pieces as they can find and where they were found. Before you say anything negative about Archaeologists, there are bad apples on both sides of this. There are relic hunters that are genuine grave robbers. I just recently found out about one in North Alabama that has actually dug into Civil War graves that are marked and in a cemetary to get belt buckles. But, I also know of Archaeologists that have made artifacts disappear from sites they were working. So, if you can, make a note of where you found something and keep it with the artifact, could come in handy some day. Once we forget where something was found (and you never know what might be significant) the information is lost forever. No, I'm not an Archaeologist, but a very serious historian.

Two things.....

One buckle wouldn't make any difference, and perhaps I should be the one to explain context, as it relates to dug finds. (and sites).

I'd have a better chance of winning millions in the lottery than your scenario playing out here. The closest it gets is someone building a nice big cottage on private land and the last thing they would want is someone to start talking about their property being "historical" land.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread