Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
BamaBill said:
Ok, I'll explain how context works. You find that shoe buckle in a field and add it to your collection with some kind of note that at least can get you back to that general area in the future. Ten years from now a project with federal money is put through there and the Archaeologists start doing a survey and ask. the people in the area if anyone has found anything, because they realize this used to be a colonial fort. If you value history you either donate it to their project or let them examine and photograph it, so they can add the information to the historical record. Despite what I've seen on these boards, Archaeologists are not the enemy. A lot of the holes in the historical record have been filled by Archaeologists doing in-depth analysis with as many pieces as they can find and where they were found. Before you say anything negative about Archaeologists, there are bad apples on both sides of this. There are relic hunters that are genuine grave robbers. I just recently found out about one in North Alabama that has actually dug into Civil War graves that are marked and in a cemetary to get belt buckles. But, I also know of Archaeologists that have made artifacts disappear from sites they were working. So, if you can, make a note of where you found something and keep it with the artifact, could come in handy some day. Once we forget where something was found (and you never know what might be significant) the information is lost forever. No, I'm not an Archaeologist, but a very serious historian.

Two things.....

One buckle wouldn't make any difference, and perhaps I should be the one to explain context, as it relates to dug finds. (and sites).

I'd have a better chance of winning millions in the lottery than your scenario playing out here. The closest it gets is someone building a nice big cottage on private land and the last thing they would want is someone to start talking about their property being "historical" land.
There was a post not long back, about the "GPS" recording of where you find things. I totally disagree with that! If the "Archies" aren't smart enough to figure out where to dig for something, they haven't done their research. I'm not going to do it for them. Basically I think Archeologists are just like Engineers. Over-educated pompus a$$es. They think they are smarter than you because of their education. I've seen it time...and time again in the business I am in. Not only do they think they are always right, they'll NEVER admit when they are wrong. NO COMMON SENSE! I say .....let 'em figure it out for themselves. And I, for one, do not want this hobby turned into the same thing they have over in the UK.

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
There is absolutely no value in old Civil War stuff. If you should find any just send them down to me and I'll be more than happy to get rid of them and save you the trouble. :-)

Unless your a professional treasure hunter it is a matter of luck as far as finding enough to make the detector pay for itself let alone make a profit. And...it's mostly a stinkin Lincoln at a time. Also like Ivan stated you just can't go hogwild hunting anyplace you'd like. Over the years careless detector folks have left holes that could cause livestock and farmers to have injuries and left gates open for livestock to get loose let alone totally disrespecting private property. I don't know how many times nice farmers have conveyed to me that they would like to let me hunt their place but since others in the past have ticked the farmer off they adopted at no hunting of any kind policy for their private land/s. If you only metal detect for a hobby and go about it the right way you'll still have lots of fun and adventure and occasionally the treasure Gods will be kind to you.

JRich

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JRich98150 said:
...it's mostly a stinkin Lincoln at a time.

I've only found one Lincoln this year. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread