What do you put in your gear pack for contingencies while relic hunting?

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here in the South our relic hunting season just gets humming this time of year. What types of things do you throw in the car, for just in case (field repairs, first aid, etc.).

The list I came up with includes:
1. Extra Batteries
2. Extra nylon coil bolts and washers for all detector types.
3. Screw drivers (small and medium size) and pliers.
4. Extra Velcro tie wraps and wire tie wraps
5. Duct Tape
6. Band Aids and Neosporin
7. Flashlight
8. Glasses cleaner wipes
9. Scissors
10. 2 Ziploc bags for makeshift environ cover or to put something in
11. Wal-Mart bags for trash
12. Headlamp for hands free lighting
13. Pocketknife
14. Ibprofen
15. Bug spray

Safety vest for hunting season.
Battery tester.
Extra clothes and rain gear.
Maps of the area or GPS.
Extra tire or tire repair kit.
Hot looking chick.
Food & water.
Digging tools. (including bottle digging gear)
Back pack for lugging "Big finds" out.
Hat and/or sunglasses.
Rubber boots or extra foot wear including socks.

I always try and have this stuff in my car.
Dave.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
Of course I carry "bugout" bags in my vehicles ANYWAY, but I'm one of those survibalist types..
:-)

...as am I... :wink:

Bran <><

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Detector Pro Pirate, Troy Shadow X-5, Fisher F75
I also carry medicine bottles stuffed with cotton balls to put my fragile two piece button finds in.... among other small fragile finds. And the bug spray mentioned in the first post is a must have here in south Arkansas in the warmer months...... ticks, chiggers, and skeeters! Now if I could just find Canebreak Rattler repellant!

S

stefen

SouthArk said:
I also carry medicine bottles stuffed with cotton balls to put my fragile two piece button finds in.... among other small fragile finds. And the bug spray mentioned in the first post is a must have here in south Arkansas in the warmer months...... ticks, chiggers, and skeeters! Now if I could just find Canebreak Rattler repellant!

Urine or ammonia in a squirt gun or spray bottle works wonders...

Gasoline, kerosene or deisel fuel also works...

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
godisnum1 said:
Rando said:
Of course I carry "bugout" bags in my vehicles ANYWAY, but I'm one of those survibalist types..
:-)

...as am I... :wink:

Bran <><

Good resource for those HERE (building your own):
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=14254

I know you won't believe this, but I am credited with inventing the term "bugout bag" on a website (AR15.com in 2000) and an article I had published in "SWAT" magazine in 2003...

Wow, really??? That's pretty sweet!! I know what a bug-out bag is, and it's a great preparation concept! There's nothing wrong with being prepared... because if you are and you never need it, then it doesn't hurt anything. BUT, if you DO need it and have it... then you're 1-up on everyone else who isn't prepared. I keep most of my camping gear in my truck also. I've been called paranoid many times... and have been told that I analyze and over think scenarios way too much that I probably shouldn't think about all the time... but I do, and I know what I'll do under almost every circumstance that I can come across. I'm slowly getting the supplies I need. I might not have bunkers full of food & water... though really, all I need are very basic things. I don't "technically" even "need" some of those things if I don't have them. But I will know how to procure ANYTHING I'll need, in order to survive, if things come down to it.

Bran <><

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
Great list of equipment, guys! Great post Bill! The only other thing I usually take, (unless it is illegal in a specific area, of course!), is an automatic pistol. Like Bill and a lot of others, I hunt in the South, Tennessee specifically, and there are lots of really remote places, many miles from anyone, and to me, it is just being cautious. Cell phone coverage is nonexistent here, and along with a GPS to mark good sites, I think the list here will well prepare anyone!! :thumbsup:

Great Hunting and Good Luck, all :icon_thumright: Regards, Richard

(P.S. Of course I only suggest a firearm for folks who are VERY well trained/experienced, and as stated, ONLY when NOT in violation of state or local laws!)

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Just thought of this! I realize how dumb it seems, but I actually have an extra digger that I tote also! Fear of breaking the primary? Nope... Boy, I felt goofy for doing this, and telling anyone proves it, I suppose! LOL!! I once went all the way to my buddy's house near Tallahassee, FL., :sign13: (about 450 miles), then all the way to the hunt site (maybe 25 miles), before I noticed with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, my digger was in my truck in TN.!! :help: Thank goodness my friend had a spare with him, and was kind enough to loan it to me, without the razzing I honestly deserved! Hope this didn't miss the subject, Bill! I HAD to add it, would've felt guilty not to!

Warmest Regards, Richard

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
skypilot02 said:
Hope this didn't miss the subject, Bill! I HAD to add it, would've felt guilty not to!

Warmest Regards, Richard

I'm glad you added that Richard. Having a backup on certain critical items is just being prudent.

Digz

Jan 5, 2009
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
BH P202
Wow, great thread!
As usual, I'm a little late to the party *ahem!* ::)

I'm new to MDing, but having a blast & getting a work-out...muscles I havent used in years are yelling at me to leave 'em alone, already! :binkybaby:

Thanks for all the ideas - I *always* carry lotsa water and an extra diggin' tool, just started carrying extra batteries and my good camera.

So far, I havent ventured very far afield, except for public places I can get to in my car.
Mostly, I'm staying on our property, 100+ acres with two old home-places on it, plus a neighbor gave me permission to hunt on his "old home place" fields (there've been 4 homesteads there over the last 200 years or so) and a few other spots that are easy to get to in the Rhino ~ so basically, I'm learning my machine & diggin' a lot of pull-tabs and relic farm equipment...

I've found some cool stuff. Will try to post pics, just for kicks - nothing spectacular or newsworthy.
But I'm looking into how to find CW sites in this area (saw your other thread which mentioned that, btw) so the hints/tips I found here really help, and added a whole new dimension to my thinking/planning.

Thanks, Y'all! :notworthy:

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Hello, Digz!

Welcome to TreasureNet and detecting! You're gonna love 'em both!

Better late than... well you know!
Thanks for all the kind remarks :thumbsup:
You'll find most folks here try to work together for some really great results!
I know I speak for the rest of us when I say we look forward to more of your posts! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Sky Pilot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread