FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fort, Camps & Batteries: Various States

Some of you have purchased my books in the past. To those I say "Thank You!" Currently I'm re-writing and will offer A-Z for Forts, Camps & Batteries of Georgia and the same for Tennessee. I've acquired a copy of Hamersly's Army Register of 1888 and one volumn of Lossing's Civil War and the entire 128 volumn collection of the Rebellion Records for the Civil War for cross reference and have had 8 rolls of microfilm acquired from the National Archives of all Fort sites. There are literally hundreds of sites mentioned within those pages and there are probably just as many that have never seen the shadow of a metal detector coil passing over the ground. I'll also do a re-write to the Pennsylvania book as I've acquired additional information of many sites I didn't have locations for.

Here are some sites from states I haven't begun writing about:

Camp Vest, Missouri: located about four miles from Boonesville. Established May 14, 1864. a.k.a. Camp Bacon.

Vienna Station, Kentucky, McLean County, located at the falls of the Green River where Calhoun is today.

Camp Wadsworth at Hazel Green, Kentucky. Camp of the 2nd, 21st and 23rd Ohio Infantry in October, 1861 at McCormisck's Gap.
Hazel Green still visible on AAA map near West Liberty were a skirmish at the latter took place with a Tennessee Regiment.

Fort Van Strerben (sic) located on the site of Jeffersonville, Indiana. Garrisoned by two companies of troops and one cannon.

Camp Wilcox, Texas: Located on the east fork of the Trinity River. Co's A & I of 7th Infantry arrived on Feb 28, 1858.

If you have a site, you need more information on and you've run into a dead end. let me know and I'll see if I can shed some light on it. You can send me a Minie' Ball from the site.

Good luck to those who want to check out these sites. Let me know if you have any success. Thanks.

Harry 8)

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Re: Fort, Camps & Batteries: Various States

I would be very interested in camp wilcox and anything else you have in eastern texas or even in southern texas....

Hitman

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would be interested in any info about Big Creek Gap, Fincastle, Woodson's Gap area of Tennessee concerning camps or gun emplacements. Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Harry, thanks for the info, looking forward to getting that book! I've sent you an email in regards to Camp Wadsworth. If anyone needs info/assistance on Camp Wadsworth, give me a shout. I live but a few miles from Hazel Green and as best I can tell, this camp has not been found. I have been seeking a camp that is between Mt. Sterling, KY and Hazel Green so I haven't made it that far east yet but have picked up many, many clues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread