Pre WWII Badge (Mit Hitler In Coburg) Silver

Chewbaby

Dec 22, 2008
Sebastian, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I was going through my grandmother's things that were given to me and came across this badge.
From what i remember she gave it to me when I was about 9 or 10 and said it came from he father.
He was an infantry man who started the war by landed on the beach in Normandy and fought for nearly a year before getting wounded in the leg. When he was sent home this was one of many items he brought with him, she said. He had four children (including my grandma) and gave each of them some of the things he brought back. My grandma choose this badge and two other medals (which I am going to have to find). I think my cousins have them!!! Anyway, I was looking it up on-line and couldn't find anything about silver ones except that they were made but not many. I also read they were only given to higher ranking officers or SS. Any help id appreciated.

Thanks Matthew

Attachments

• Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 023.jpg
    Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 023.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,665
  • Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 032.jpg
    Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 032.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,476
  • Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 034.jpg
    Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 034.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,020
  • Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 029.jpg
    Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 029.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,453
  • Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 031.jpg
    Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 031.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,495
  • Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 036.jpg
    Mit Hitler In Coburg Badge 036.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,491

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent and extremely rare political badge. If real, it could be worth $1,000+. Take it to an expert for authentication.

DCMatt

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My take on what I have seen, You got the real deal.

S

Seeker Of Truth

Man, i love war trophies! Especially nazi stuff :icon_pirat: To bad its dificult to bring back anything now a days :-\

Pit74

Jan 12, 2011
Shawnigan Lake
Hi there,I`m German and I just read your Post here.That Piece what you found is worth lots of money.Here is some Info for you. That special piece was only for those 800 people.
History

On Saturday, October 14, 1922, Hitler was invited to "German Day" in Coburg and asked to bring a few friends. Being the master "opportunist", Hitler rented an entire train and filled it with 800 of his followers (virtually the whole Party) and even bought his own 42 piece band, planning to take the town by storm.

At this time - in 1922 - Hitler was a nobody on the German national scene; only his fanatical little band of followers thought anything would come of the "little man with the silly mustache. Most Germans had never even seen the swastika! According to a biographer, "amassed burghers and wide-eyed Jews almost fell out of the express trains which passed them." Hiring the train was a huge bluff, the Nazi party had no money. Every man who climbed on the train bought one or more tickets, often with his last marks.

In 1922, Coburg was a town which had long been dominated by Marxists. And the Marxists, of course, wanted no part of the Nazi "foreigners". When the Nazis arrived at Coburg, a uniformed policeman told them they could not march into the city with bands playing or flags flying. The words were music to the "opportunist" ears. Hitler pushed aside the policeman and they marched into the center of town, all flags flying, all instruments blaring. A crowd of thousands threatened to bar their way. No one was sure who these fanatics from Munich were. Suddenly some of the crowd (mostly Marxists) ,began to throw things and a furious fight ensued for perhaps 15 minutes. In time most of the crowd began to join the Nazis and before long they had won over the townspeople. Here, at last, they saw a savior" from the Communist repression. The town officials, of course, were not impressed or happy.

The next day as the Nazis triurnphantly boarded the train, Hitler was told the "Reds" would not run the train back to Munich. Again, Hitler saw an opportunity. He told the officials that he and his group would run the train themselves, but they would first kidnap every Communist they could find and would take them back to Munich on the commandeered train. What would then happen to the Communists was left to everyone's active imaginations. The Communists capitulated, the train ran. Hitler had won.

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
Seeker Of Truth said:
Man, i love war trophies! Especially nazi stuff :icon_pirat: To bad its dificult to bring back anything now a days :-\

Not too difficult to bring back war trophies. I brought some back from each of the mideast wars i was in. Of course i didn't try to bring back weapons or art.

My Uncle fought for the German army in WWII. He brought back the majority of his stuff, too include a copy of Mein Kampf that Hitler signed for him after he won some sort of sporting contest (He was in the Hitler Youth). Don't know if that exactly qualifies as war trophies.

Hoze513

Dec 7, 2010
Joliet, ILL.
Detector(s) used
Bh Pioneer 505 Fisher f2 Spectrum XLT
wow That is beautiful I love old history especially war stuff. Great find. :icon_thumright:

HenrikV

Aug 22, 2016
Norway
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry for bringing this thread up, since i do see it's old. But the badge presented in this thread is not an original award made previous to 1945. The basics are that there are mainly two known variants of this badge, the first pattern and the second and last pattern. First pattern has thin needle and is mostly unmarked, second pattern has a thicker needle and often a small RZM mark.

There are some speculations that two awards were made in silver, and a third variant and prototype exists of this, but the one presented in the thread here is not one of them, sadly. A first pattern badge of this award (original) will likely sell for at least $7,000 but likely more. I have seen them change hands for close to 15 grand earlier.

Post War, they are known to have been made by a few companies that also made decorations during the Third Reich. Like for example the firm of Rudolf Souval based in Vienna. The badge presented in this thread is neither, not original nor is it produced by any known post war firm, sadly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread