turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hope that someone can answer this question. I need the info too! :tongue3:
I have found hand forged horseshoes along with machine made ones and would like to be able to date them. Good luck.

Doug

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a page from a book that shows some 18th century horseshoes. They are wider than modern shoes. If you're digging something like these I'm jealous. Hopefully somebody knows of a good website for identifying horseshoes.

-Swartzie

Attachments

• 2010-03-09_202634.jpg
    2010-03-09_202634.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 7,476

old_goldchaser

Feb 10, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Multiple pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid I found several that looked similar to the ones numbers 5 and 6 in that photo on a neighbors farm. It was were there used to be an old homestead...had been a sod hut, same for the barn/stable. The place had been abandoned for a generation or more and simply melted away..as sod homes eventually did.

There is an old barn/garage on a place nearby that is is sod and rock. Its now falling down, but I will run by and get some photos of it and post them here in a few days. Have to wait for the weather to clear up first. We have snow right now and it takes a 4 wheel drive on a good day to get to this place, no way to try on a bad day.

I plan to do some documentation of this place and post on my personal page here about it. I have found several items here that were unusual just doing a preliminary hunt on the place. Its on private land which the owner allows few people access so I treat it as if it was my own. Its been abandoned for many many years and there is still furniture in it. It hasnt been lived in since the late 1950's. The folks just walked away. You can imagine what it looks like now, animals and people both have done alot of damage to the place. But it still is a nice place to look around and to swing a coil on. It also has the old fallen in outhouse and also an old cistern that looks interesting. Though cisterns arent usually places to find stuff thrown away, some could have been tossed down there...coins accidently dropped, etc. Just not sure how to get down in there safely. Plus, there is still water in it. Thinking of pumping it out and just seeing what I can see visualy and then go from there.

There is another place I plan on documenting and writing about also come spring. Its just as old and had no one iiving in there in likely as many years, but its in much better condition in that it isnt falling down.....yet.
Going to document it and photograph it and write it up. And swing a coil or two of course.

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
it seems all i ever find while walking stone walls in the woods are those ox shoes #7 i think i have found about 11 or so and only one horse shoe

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Hi RecoveringHistory, I'm in the same boat!! Just found this horseshoe over the weekend! :headbang: I've searched online but still haven't found what I'm looking for?? :icon_scratch: If anyone can help us out with some horseshoe dating expertise it would be greatly appreciated?? :help:

Attachments

• DSC02771.JPG
    DSC02771.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 4,355
  • DSC02772.JPG
    DSC02772.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,322
  • DSC02769.JPG
    DSC02769.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 1,251

n3tuf

Mar 4, 2008
Glen Mills,PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this horse shoe today at a Rev War battlefield site. Can anyone tell me how old it is? IMG_3959.JPG

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here are some of mine, recently posted. ALL were found along about 15 feet of roadway. Probably thrown out of a farrier shop door. ╦╦Ç

DSCN0052.JPG

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Horseshoe Tree

Old Horseshoes, I live in the Santa Fe area and I find lots of them on the many old trails around here.

Some are horse, mule, donkey, and maybe ox. Have been told by our Ferrier that a lot are hand forged.

Pic. of my Horseshoe and Relic Tree... Keep Swinging...:metaldetector:

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love your horseshoe tree......but you'd go batshit crazy with it blowin the wind 24-7 here in Wyoming....:tongue3:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OLE HOSS SHOES ARE NEET TO FIND

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions