Relics found under a newer park

black651

May 6, 2009
Saint Paul, MN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites Coinmaster, Bounty Hunter LRP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of stumbled onto a good spot by accident. I had very little time to hunt one day and gave this park that was near my neck of the woods a try, thinking it wouldn't give me much beyond some coins and maybe a ring or two. I was surprised to find that I was digging up items that appear to be much older than the parks history (made around the late 1960's). Buckles, old door locks, tools, makeup compacts, pocket watch, binoculars, part of an oil lamp and a necklace. I'm doing some research to try and find out the history of this spot and after looking through some Platt maps I found online, saw that this particular block has been around since at least the 1890's. Now I just have to find out what was there in between that date and now.

This weekend I am going to be going back there and trying to see if I can dig up some more relics. It's more exciting to me to find a piece of history than a coin or ring. Makes me wonder just who had this items last and what life was like back then. (Don't get me wrong here - I still enjoy finding the shiny stuff but I would rather find something I can research and learn about.)

Attachments

• necklace 1.jpg
    necklace 1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • necklace 2.jpg
    necklace 2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,019
  • leisurcor token - front.jpg
    leisurcor token - front.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,002
  • mystery watch 1.jpg
    mystery watch 1.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,060
  • mystery watch 2.jpg
    mystery watch 2.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,065
  • buckles 1.jpg
    buckles 1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • buckles 2.jpg
    buckles 2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 1,048
  • compact 1.jpg
    compact 1.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 1,044
  • necklace 1.jpg
    necklace 1.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 1,029
  • necklace 2.jpg
    necklace 2.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • princess pat rouge compact a.jpg
    princess pat rouge compact a.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 1,014
  • marinello lid.jpg
    marinello lid.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 1,006
  • leisurcor token - front.jpg
    leisurcor token - front.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 977
  • pin 1.jpg
    pin 1.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 993

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I too prefer the relic's.

Fossis...........

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Great finds! I have hunted a park and found relics at one time as well. I then opened my eyes and sure enough, right next to the enterance I have been driving by was a very old farm house. :icon_thumright:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
black651 said:
It's more exciting to me to find a piece of history than a coin or ring. Makes me wonder just who had this items last and what life was like back then. (Don't get me wrong here - I still enjoy finding the shiny stuff but I would rather find something I can research and learn about.)

Sounds like you're getting the relic bug. Awesome finds.
-Swartzie

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you have learned one of the most important lessons of metal detecting -- it not always what is there now that makes a spot a "great metal detecting spot" but rather what WAS there in or WHAT OCCURED THERE the past , that can make it great -- and for that you need to study your areas history to see what was where and what happened where . :icon_thumright: reasearch is often the key to great finds * but a bit of luck never hurts either. :headbang:

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds, a lot of very cool finds, go back and go slow and tell us what you find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions