Kentucky Relic Hunters

D

DeepWoodsEvan

I'm new to this site, but I've been relic hunting for years. I've concentrated in Central Tennessee for most of this time, but I'm moving up Danville Kentucky to attend College next year. Hoping to find someone up there who would want to team up on some research on the 1862 Kentucky campaign. I've allready collected volumes of accounts of the battle, and I have several leads on camps from unpublished accounts. Hit me up if your interested in teaming up for some relic hunting or simply trading information!
Evan

K

Kentucky Kache

I have permission on a farm next to the battlefield. Of course you're not
allowed to hunt the battlefield itself.
My family owned part of the land where the battle took place. They donated
a piece of ground for a confederate cemetery. Their name is on the plaque.
Give me a yell when you get there. I live about 25 miles from there.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Check out "Lost Silver Mines and Buried Treasure of Kentucky" by Michael Paul Henson. They are plenty of things to look for here. I am in the eastern part of the state and if I can help just let me know.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With regard to your question, two books come to mind: 1. "When the Ripe Pears Fell" by D. Warren Lambert (professor at Berea College) which is an account of the battle for Richmond and an excellent read. 2. "The Civil War in Kentucky" but I'll be darned if I can remember the author. This one is good for some general information.

If you're ever up to doing some detecting toss me an email. I have driven much farther than that for a hunt before.

Best of Luck!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try Jamie Wexler at: [email protected] . He lives around Frenchburg and I sent him a whole bunch of material on the Battlesite of Richmond, Ky.
They also have a nice 1880 topo in the Richmond courthouse for $10.00.

Harry

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of the books you listed are good, but neither is the book by Warren Lambert. A trip to the library at Berea College will snag you a copy of the book if you are in the are. Plus, the archivists at special collections might have some interesting documents (maybe even diaries!).

Best of Luck. Drop a line if you wanna go for a hunt. I'll be in and out of the area this fall and spring...

W

Metalman1959

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone! I'm very much a newbie when it comes to metal detecting and treasure hunting. Although I have had a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202 detector for about 3 or 4 year and I have found coins, jewelry, and even some toys (I hunt mostly in play grounds) and I'm quite proud of how my little cheapie works, I mean it gets the job done. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone hunts around Warren County, Kentucky. I live near 2 rivers; Barren and Green and there is an old lake about 4 miles away called Shanty Hollow.

I am hoping to go up to the lake maybe on Monday and do some swinging, but have no idea how I will do. Also there used to be a T.B. Hospital not far from here and have even went looking for it. Unfortunately, it has long since been torn down, but if I am correct I may have found where it used to be. There is a big generator sitting just off T.B. Hospital Road, but it's a corn field now. I hope to ask the farmer if I can swing there also maybe on Monday.

Anyway, I was hoping to hook up with some more experienced treasure hunters/metal detectorists and learn a few things.

Thanks in advance!

Metalman1959 :hello:

bradk05

Jun 3, 2012
Love to team up if your still
Interested? I'm about 45 min or so from Danville. Been studying alittle on the past history here in ky between Louisville and Lex.
Let me know. Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread