First Plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul in TN

Mar 26, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
white's M6
:headbang:I went out in East TN and met Ironman & Richard from Backwoods detectors for a Saturday hunt. Richard not only sold me my detector but showed mw how to use it. It started out well as I found 3 ringer within the first few minutes. I then found a j hook and a couple pistol balls. I was in a section of a field I had hunted before when I got a good signal on VDI around 46. I dug a plug and rescanned the hole and now VDI was solid 94. I was already about 12 inches down. I used pinpointer and my Lesch digger to loosen up some more of the soil and removed it. Richard came over about that time. I could see some green patina in bottom of the hole. I used my pinpointer on it but it did not give any signal. I checked it and it was just dirt with the green patina stain on it. Richard swung his coil over the dirt I had just removed just as it crossed my mind that the target was out of the hole. When We sifted thru the dirt out come this disc. I started the happy dance & I was shaking so much I couldn't talk. I had just recovered my first breast plate. My 13yo son was with me and we both did the happy dance! Once i got it home and washed it off I could see WM Smith Brooklyn on the back. Just goes to show you a site is never hunted out. Thanks for looking and HH.
Paul

Attachments

• P1010764 - Copy.JPG
    P1010764 - Copy.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 2,757
  • P1010766 - Copy.JPG
    P1010766 - Copy.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,762
  • P1010767 - Copy.JPG
    P1010767 - Copy.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 2,754
  • P1010770 - Copy.JPG
    P1010770 - Copy.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 2,753
  • P1010771 - Copy.JPG
    P1010771 - Copy.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,747
  • P1010772 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    P1010772 - Copy - Copy.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,737

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome breast plate! I have yet to find a CW plate..

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recovery. Lead, J hook and plate...... that makes for a great day. Way to go on your first plate. :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: :headbang: Yea that gets my juices going.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice plate and other CW finds. It's good when the person who sold you the detector can also show you how to use it :thumbsup:

S

stefen

Paul in TN said:
:headbang:When We sifted thru the dirt out come this disc. I started the happy dance & I was shaking so much I couldn't talk. I had just recovered my first breast plate. My 13yo son was with me and we both did the happy dance! Once i got it home and washed it off I could see WM Smith Brooklyn on the back. Just goes to show you a site is never hunted out. Thanks for looking and HH.
Paul

Be interesting to research and tie an actual soldier's history with the plate...the historic value only adds credence to the find...

knack4iron

Greenie
Dec 2, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Pretty green patina and makers on the back to boot. Even though it lost its hooks that makers name brings it up. Nice find. JR

S

stefen

To my knowledge, tyhis is the first plate recovered that has the name of the former owner engraved on it...

To me, this puts this plate at the top of the heap...

We now know who the owner was and probably research to see if he survived the CW or not...

This is a banner find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread