Fisher F4, Minelab Safari

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well is it a true ball (round shape) or is it conical "bullet" shaped ?--since knowing this would aid greatly in trying to figger out what weapon it might have gone to -- roughly 69 caliber round ball type ammo was used still as far as the civil war era * (so their are several possible american 69 caliber weapons it could have been used in) but if its a a conical minie "bulllet" type that cuts it down time frame wize somewhat as it was developed later on.

the french as far back as 1777 used a 69 caliber musket (smoothbore) charlesville type and several us muskets were 69 caliber as well the model 1795 , 1812 , 1816 and 1842 * these were all smooth bore 69 caliber weapons -- there is also a 69 caliber "rifled" barreled model 1842 model the first rifled barreled us military rifle. it was designed to fire the non patched "conical"or minie type bullets

the 1842 was the last 69 caliber US govt rifle -- in the early civil war years due tio the fact they were in the armory's these were used a lot. - large and heavy the 69 caliber conical bullets are often called "3 ringers" due to the 3 gas check rings around the sides

my bet is thus ---if the area saw civil war action , there is a good chance it came from a model 1842 model rifle smooth bore ( if round ball ) or from a rifled 18i42 if its a conical type. ---if the area saw american rev war action the 1777 "french rifle" is possible --- war of 1812 action however might have been a 1795 model rifle that fired it.

OP
OP
Drmagnum

Drmagnum

Apr 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
ivan salis said:
well is it a true ball (round shape) or is it conical "bullet" shaped ?--since knowing this would aid greatly in trying to figger out what weapon it might have gone to -- roughly 69 caliber round ball type ammo was used still as far as the civil war era * (so their are several possible american 69 caliber weapons it could have been used in) but if its a a conical minie "bulllet" type that cuts it down time frame wize somewhat as it was developed later on.

the french as far back as 1777 used a 69 caliber musket (smoothbore) charlesville type and several us muskets were 69 caliber as well the model 1795 , 1812 , 1816 and 1842 * these were all smooth bore 69 caliber weapons -- there is also a 69 caliber "rifled" barreled model 1842 model the first rifled barreled us military rifle. it was designed to fire the non patched "conical"or minie type bullets

the 1842 was the last 69 caliber US govt rifle -- in the early civil war years due tio the fact they were in the armory's these were used a lot. - large and heavy the 69 caliber conical bullets are often called "3 ringers" due to the 3 gas check rings around the sides

my bet is thus ---if the area saw civil war action , there is a good chance it came from a model 1842 model rifle smooth bore ( if round ball ) or from a rifled 18i42 if its a conical type. ---if the area saw american rev war action the 1777 "french rifle" is possible --- war of 1812 action however might have been a 1795 model rifle that fired it.

Great info thank you!

It is a sphere, not conical. It also has a small threaded, conical hole in it so it must have been unloaded with a screw on a ram rod. I'd post a pic but I'm not at home.

The area I found the ball was a fort that was active during the Blackhawk War in 1832, I don't know how much longer after that the fort was active. It is very possible the fort was active during the civil war.

Thanks again for the info!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they are called "pulled" bullets --if one had a "misfire" due to bad / damp powder , it could be fatal -- one had to remove the musket ball by screwing a screw type device on the end of a ramrod into the soft lead ball and "pulling it out" of the barrel---course while doing this you are totally helpless and your gun is useless as a firing weapon * -- it might have to be used as a club type weapon if it was hung up bad and the enemy was charging upon you. --in 1832 most likely would have been either the 1812 or 1816 model smooth bore muskets used.

OP
OP
Drmagnum

Drmagnum

Apr 24, 2011
Detector(s) used
Awesome info! Thanks again.

OP
OP
Drmagnum

Drmagnum