Underground railroad

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I had the opportunity to hunt the basement/crawlspace of an 1829 building in south central pa. The owner wants to establish a link between the building and the underground railroad. I need someones expertise on what would be a piece of "solid evidence" that this home was used for that purpose. There is only one entrance to the crawlspace which is about 4 foot in height. It is through the floor in a closet--about 2 foot square. The basement is divided into three parts with a small opening in the stone to access each area. The large home was renovated in 1980 and there is alot of metal debris which now litters these areas (copper wire pieces--nails--screws etc.) My son and I are in the process of removing the junk and hopefully something significant will appear. The only items found so far (good items) were a copper plate which surrounds the key hole for a skeleton key and a 1915 wheat penny. This will take awhile as our time is limited but we do have access anytime.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your hunt, I'm not sure what you might find that could make a solid link to the underground, seeing as people were traveling light, and really had nothing to begin with. The best place to search for a connection would likely be your local archives, see if you can connect a previous owner from that time to the abolitionist movement.

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your county history. In the late 1800's alot of states compiled histories that included info on pioneers, churches etc. OhioDeb

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
It is my understanding that many if not all runaway slaves carved combs . Something that I understand they did not have on the plantation . Find one of those and you are well on your way .

OP
OP
J

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
Planning another visit in the near future---carved combs--very interesting---Also heard that slaves wore numbered tags--however those were probably discarded on the way north--Thank You for your responses

playdan1

May 18, 2011
Sandown, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
JoelB said:
Planning another visit in the near future---carved combs--very interesting---Also heard that slaves wore numbered tags--however those were probably discarded on the way north--Thank You for your responses

The carved combs are interesting. My mother wants me to do the same thing as you to the crawlspace in her basement for the same reason! She truly believes the house she is in was also used to hide slaves from that movement. I've been procrastinating though because even though the crawlspace is slightly larger, it's still small and littered with spiders dead and alive ::shudddddders:: ugga! Good luck with your hunt and if I can find anything i'll post it here!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
playdan1 said:
JoelB said:

The carved combs are interesting. My mother wants me to do the same thing as you to the crawlspace in her basement for the same reason! She truly believes the house she is in was also used to hide slaves from that movement. I've been procrastinating though because even though the crawlspace is slightly larger, it's still small and littered with spiders dead and alive ::shudddddders:: ugga! Good luck with your hunt and if I can find anything i'll post it here!
Get in that crawlspace ....and dont hurt those spiders. :laughing7:

ALDORADO

Greenie
Nov 4, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm sorry, but that is hilarious, I just spit coffee on my computer screen. :notworthy:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you already have found the Solid Evidence your looking for. It sounds as though you already have exposed the hiding hole where the blacks would stay in it overnight before being either guided or transported to the next house. If you were to build a Fine Mesh screen sifter that is 2' x 2' square. You could then slowly sift through the dirt and yes the DUST as well. The objects that they tended to lose were "EXTREMELY" small and were left behind due to be considered of no further use such as buttons, clasps, needles etc. They almost always carried no money of any kind and were always on the move. They never stayed "anywhere" for more than one or two days MAX before moving on in their journey North. Also if there are ANY floor boards try to GENTLY remove them and then sift under them ok. If they lost any larger items that is where they will be. Also look for ANY signs of a false wall in the spaces themselves. Many times the slaves would use these types of spaces to hide notes or letters but not much else. If there are any doors there. Check them. If they are hollow you may want to feel along "ALL" the edges of the doors as they would Deposit anything of value in them ok. The same is true along the joints of any Beams that me be in those spaces. Also check along any Beams that are anywhere in the house. They would use Large Cents as Spacers or washers and they are still there. They had no reason to take them out. It was very common back then ok. The main thing is that "ANYTHNG" no matter how minute or wasted it may appear very well can turn out to be an item that can be traced directly to an item that the slaves would have carried back then. Even things as small as a match head can be traced ok. These type items can be "RESTORED" and thus traced back to their points of origin. You'd be amazed at what they can do today for sure. My friend Marty is one of the Directors of Archaeology for the Big Dig Project here in Boston through TimeLine Inc.. Everything that comes out f the Big Dig went to him. I've seen the Labs and the items being restored. It really is incredible. Anyway, I hope this helps. Feel free to PM me ok. Don't forget to Post the Pics ok. PEACE:RONB

jcflipper5617

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of curiosity, what town is it located in? I live in New Freedom, York County.

JC

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beads are the only thing to comes to mind, with the slim chance of a carved comb. Unfortunately, if you find something, there is a VERY slim chance that it is related to runaway slaves. These people were desperate, and had NOTHING in the first place, so what little they DID have would be regarded as precious and kept track of. Good luck, it is a monumental task.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions