Relic Hunting in South East Florida?

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm interested in relic hunting also, I'm down here in broward. There were a lot of old Seminole wars forts and depots in South and central Florida, some battle and skirmish sites a few here in Dade and Broward, a couple of pretty famous ones in Palm Beach and Okeechobee. Unfortunately, mostly heavily developed now; or in parks where not legal to remove anything; or in private hands. But I've not determined the fates of all the sites by any means, and am marking research possibilities on google earth. There is more than a little info in Wikipedia and wikimaps. A guy has a couple of books he's selling, he wants 20 bucks for two of them. Florida universities have online maps, Seminole war military maps, and old aerial fotos. Google books has quite a few books worth researching.

To date i've recovered only 2 "relics", both from the 20th century, pretty much by mistake - an old Rollfast bicycle badge, probably from the 30's, and a sterling silver Marmon car badge, probably from the 20's - they made luxury autos from 1903-33. I sold the Rollfast badge on eBay. There are many Marmon badges out there for $10 or so, but they look fake to me. Real ones in excellent condition have gone for $45-120, find their sales on worthopedia. Unfortunately, mine's not in great condition. I contacted the Marmon auto club, but after asking me for pics, they did not reply again.

I dug up a crude bronze dagger on the Miami Ridge near Simpson Park, but it seems likely it was an eccentric, unskilled 20th century shop project - although I did also find what looked like the broken haft socket of a bronze tool or weapon nearby.

OP
OP
C

Crickhunter

Greenie
May 30, 2011
Palm Springs, Florida
Thanks Mike and Scaupus. Very interesting Scaupus. I'm gonna start researching a little on those sites. Can you give me any more info on the guy with the books?? Thanks much

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got one 3 month Tennessee volunteer encampment site down cold, to the yard. The guy who located the site, and then helped Bob Carr do the emergency archaeological excavation before development of the site was completed, estimates they got only about 1% of the relics. So, what did the developer do with all that dirt they scraped off (also dug lakes)? If this development is anything like others down here, some of it may be in landscaping berms. There's also a creek runs right along the edge of the development and empties into the river not far below the site. What are they chances there are relics in the creek or creek mouth? Maybe not that low. Also, there may be some in the swales, or in people's yards. I don't know if other hunters have been there already, maybe many times. But I'm not sure the exact site is that broadly well understood.

I'm pretty confident I've located a fort that reputed has never been located exactly, at least not by anyone who hunted relics. I was told an old real estate broker found it, but did not divulge the location to anyone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread