Confederate Artillery Button? Fake Morgan? Other buttons... Knife...

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Been detecting a lake bed all summer as it slowly dries up from the drought. Started off with the clad line. Then hit the jewelry line. Then found some older coins. Now we are getting to the interesting stuff. Several foundations and debris piles are popping up. I know very little about buttons and relics, but surely the fine folks at T-Net can shed some light.

From a quick search, the "A" button appears to be a Confederate Artillery button. Real deal or fake I don't know, but it is in pretty good shape.

artilleryfront.jpg

artilleryback.jpg

The "Owl in the Bell Tower" is my favorite but I don't have a clue on it.

owlfront.jpg

owlback.jpg

The "Texan" and the "Texas Rose" I have no idea either...

texanfront.jpg

texanback.jpg

rosefront.jpg

roseback.jpg

Then there is the "Morgan Dollar". It has 7 holes drilled thought it and is stamped "BAD" on both sides.
I think date is 1903 but surely it has to be some kind of fake.

morganfront.jpg

morganback.jpg

morgandate.jpg

The knife may be nothing, but since found in same area I figured I should post.

knife2.jpg

knife1.jpg

Last is a hodge podge of buttons that I also have no idea about...

buttonsfront.jpg

buttonsback.jpg

If anyone has any questions or ideas please feel free to throw them out there...
I may have some more "stuff" but these things are what jumps out at me.
Loads of shotgun brass (410, 16, 20, 12, 10) and various rifle and pistol casings.

Thanks for looking, Ron

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
So nobody has any ideas on any of these items?
Are the big pictures scaring people away? Just wanted to show detail but can change to thumbnails...
I am most curious if the Artillery button is real as I can find no exact match...

Is this better? http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/motophile/

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Pretty darn close... That either makes mine a fake, I doubt it, or really rare, I am hoping.
Thanks for link.

Oilfield Diver

Aug 25, 2011
Republic of Texas
RW, I think you have stumbled across a real find. These buttons are simply a stunning find to me. Fascinating pieces of Texas history. The owl button, unusual in that there is holly branches off to one side, an owl in a bell tower that harkens to the Alamo. The rose of Texas in the Lone Star. Stunning Texas Treasure - I am speechless..it's like Texas history gold.. You had better work that site thoroughly before the Autumn rains come..

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow that is awesome news! And thanks for the confirmation that the site REALLY NEEDS pounding before it is too late. I will most likely head out there for a while after work today and most of the weekend as well. The biggest obstacle is the buckets of square nails scattered about. Plan on Etrac'ing in TTF with 6" coil and digging all high tones. Also bringing a rare earth magnet not only to clear out the square nails a little, but to also magnet fish in the deeper water area where it appears the trail of goodies leads to.

Thanks again for the information.
Ron

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will comment regarding your script A button. In my opinion that button is not correct. Consider that the A was a confederate button but your backmark is for a Union company. Most of the script A and I buttons were English with a good English backmark. Maybe it belonged to a reenactor.

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
duggap said:
I will comment regarding your script A button. In my opinion that button is not correct. Consider that the A was a confederate button but your backmark is for a Union company. Most of the script A and I buttons were English with a good English backmark. Maybe it belonged to a reenactor.

Makes sense and it is possible as British Royal Air Force trained close by from 1914-1918. Have a Civil War place checking it out who should give me a conclusion soon.

rovnrbl53

Sep 29, 2011
That A button looks to be CS but can't say I've seen one quite like it the way that left curly "q" is. Go to relicman.com to check others or send him a note/pic - his name is Harry Ridgeway and he's very knowledgeable. Some of those "buttons" actually look like they're from coveralls like the one with Bend in it. The brass pieces with the little triangles look like some kind of upholstery tacks or decorations...maybe they went into leather but I would guess upholstery. Interesting finds....that A if truly CS is probably quite valuable.

LetsGo82nd

Jul 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the exact same "Owl in the Tower" button today in Frederick, MD around some early 1900s town homes. It reminds me of another button I found which was a Victorian era women's clothing button. Did you ever find out anything more on it? I found this old Ebay auction for what appears to be another one:

Metal Antique Medium Sized Button W/Owl In A Belfry/Bell Tower yqz | eBay

-Jeremy

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to post in the whats it section to get seen

NOXin A Round

Greenie
Oct 12, 2019
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett AT Pro
Mine Lab Equinox 800, 2nd wife
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What did you ever find out about the TEXAN button? I found one today in east Texas!!!

OP
OP
RW

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Been a while, don't think I ever found out what it was. Cool you found one too. Got a pic? If you learn anything let me know. Hopefully we can auction the pair and retire!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread