Help with buying metal detector

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I have been metal detecting with a cheap $100 detector for years, which is probably why I have never found anything good. I have looked at some whites detectors but they ar e pretty high. What would be a good detector for finding old coins and relics that would cost a few hundred dollars? I like detecting for old things so I would want something that would go pretty deep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try watching Ebay or a gently used machine from a dealer. White's are excellent machines.

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm using a Whites M6 which is excellent. Lot of people are using the Garrett Ace 250 with great reviews. Depends on price point. If you are interested in doing some homework try using this website to read reviews of different brands.
http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got a Fisher F2,the 2 coil package with the 4" and 8" coils.It's a great little machine for the money.

skunkxx

Greenie
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Luck on finding one.Everyones broke bringing out the old whites lol.
:hello:

Sterling in Va

Feb 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with SC Shooter - the Fisher F2 is the way to go. It is the cheapest metal detector you can get that has a number readout, and it works great.

vaseekeer

Jul 8, 2012
chester VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro Fisher 1270 nautilus dmc ll 2 Ba sea hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
eBay try to find a cz 6 or cz 5 or a 1270 stay away from the new fishers

LCrebel

Jun 27, 2011
vaseekeer said:
eBay try to find a cz 6 or cz 5 or a 1270 stay away from the new fishers

Why stay away from new fishers? I use a F75se and it is by far the deepest metal detector I have used and I'm no green horn. The new fishers are great machines if you take the time to learn them. The gold bug pro is another great coin and relic detector. But if I was you I would get a 2nd hand tesoro silver sabre umax or any tesoro you can get a good buy on
Don't rely on meter machines you will miss good targets. Learn what the machine is telling you first and use a meter to verify. You learn that and you will start digging better stuff and very little trash.

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Asking what detector is the best detector for $200 is just like asking what car would you buy for $20.000, everyone will tell you their personal opinion based on their personal experience. I bought a Bounty Hunter Platinum and I was very happy with it untill I upgraded to a whites MXT, than I realized that the MXT was much better detector ( it had to be considering it has a cost of almost 3 times more).
My "PERSONAL" opinion is this:
Sometimes if you spend more you spend less.... Getting a whites will cost you a bit more than getting other detectors but they WILL last you for a life time, and they won't dissapoint you on performance.
If I had bought the whites from the start I would have saved a lot of money avoiding upgrades...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch the for sale forum here, lots of good detectors are sold there, I sold a couple here and have bought a couple here from the site..... I just bought a really sweet ETrac used that you can not tell it has ever been even used outside, not a scratch or scuff mark anywhere on it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread