Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2009
    Elliott County Kentucky
    Whites Specta V3i; Garrett AT Pro
    112 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Help with buying metal detector

Hello everyone. I have been metal detecting with a cheap $100 detector for years, which is probably why I have never found anything good. I have looked at some whites detectors but they ar e pretty high. What would be a good detector for finding old coins and relics that would cost a few hundred dollars? I like detecting for old things so I would want something that would go pretty deep. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

us
    Sep 2008
    Suffolk, VA
    Fisher CZ70 White's MXT Minelab Excal Fisher F75
    33 times

Re: Help with buying metal detector

Try watching Ebay or a gently used machine from a dealer. White's are excellent machines.
    Fisher CZ70
    Minelab Excalibur 1000
    White's MXT
    Fisher F75
    Garrett AT PRO

Thanks for looking!

us
    Dec 2011
    Barnegat, NJ
    Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
    19 times
    Relic Hunting

I'm using a Whites M6 which is excellent. Lot of people are using the Garrett Ace 250 with great reviews. Depends on price point. If you are interested in doing some homework try using this website to read reviews of different brands.
    http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

us
    Jul 2008
    SC
    Minelab Sov- AT PRO
    55 times

I just got a Fisher F2,the 2 coil package with the 4" and 8" coils.It's a great little machine for the money.

us
    Feb 2012
    1 times
    Prospecting

Good Luck on finding one.Everyones broke bringing out the old whites lol.

us
    Feb 2012

I'm with SC Shooter - the Fisher F2 is the way to go. It is the cheapest metal detector you can get that has a number readout, and it works great.

us
    Jul 2012
    chester VA
    Whites MXT Pro Fisher 1270 nautilus dmc ll 2 Ba sea hunter
    Relic Hunting
    eBay try to find a cz 6 or cz 5 or a 1270 stay away from the new fishers

us
    Jun 2011
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by vaseekeer
    eBay try to find a cz 6 or cz 5 or a 1270 stay away from the new fishers
    Why stay away from new fishers? I use a F75se and it is by far the deepest metal detector I have used and I'm no green horn. The new fishers are great machines if you take the time to learn them. The gold bug pro is another great coin and relic detector. But if I was you I would get a 2nd hand tesoro silver sabre umax or any tesoro you can get a good buy on
    Don't rely on meter machines you will miss good targets. Learn what the machine is telling you first and use a meter to verify. You learn that and you will start digging better stuff and very little trash.

Charter Member
    cr
    Detecting fever comes and goes.

Jun 2012
    San Jose
    Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
    142 times
    Metal Detecting and Ham Radio
    Asking what detector is the best detector for $200 is just like asking what car would you buy for $20.000, everyone will tell you their personal opinion based on their personal experience. I bought a Bounty Hunter Platinum and I was very happy with it untill I upgraded to a whites MXT, than I realized that the MXT was much better detector ( it had to be considering it has a cost of almost 3 times more).
    My "PERSONAL" opinion is this:
    Sometimes if you spend more you spend less.... Getting a whites will cost you a bit more than getting other detectors but they WILL last you for a life time, and they won't dissapoint you on performance.
    If I had bought the whites from the start I would have saved a lot of money avoiding upgrades...

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9358 times
    Watch the for sale forum here, lots of good detectors are sold there, I sold a couple here and have bought a couple here from the site..... I just bought a really sweet ETrac used that you can not tell it has ever been even used outside, not a scratch or scuff mark anywhere on it...

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Sponsors