32.4 KB · Views: 810

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you post some more pictures? The logo does appear to be the famous P.R.R. logo. But the main logo for the P.R.R. was the letters in a keystone And keystones were very common symbols for different bussiness/companies. It's most famous is for the P.R.R. I'm not saying it's not a P.R.R. lock, but I've seen very similar ones. You might want to clean up the logo and look for letering. Still a VERY GREAT FIND!!!!! Hope it is a P.R.R. lock! CONGRATS!!!! :thumbsup:

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very fine lock. I have a couple PRR locks -- not like yours -- with the "PRR" crudely counterstamped on the shackle. By the by, I believe the 28th Infantry Division uses that exact same insignia.

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Most locks of that type have the date on the hinge where it opens and closes. My guess would be 1890's. Nice find, I have one that looks close to that and it's dated 1892. HH

OP
OP
Just some Guy

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks all for the info I will look to see if I can find a date stamp on

Happy hunting,

Dan

OP
OP
Just some Guy

Just some Guy

Dec 28, 2011
Ukiah CA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, Whites 6000 DIPro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks looks just like the one I found.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
It is listed in the Padlock Collector as being an E.T. Faim Company all brass lock, but there are no attributions to the PRR. It probably has to do with the history of the company, which was founded in 1879 by the 3 Fraim brothers, Edward, Miller and Parker. Originally known as the Keystone Lock Works. - Edward T (E T) Fraim, Parker K Fraim and Miller W Fraim. Somewhere around 1890, Miller and Parker left the company to venture off into a business of their own, leaving just Edward to run the company, hence the name E.T. Fraim Lock Company. Edward ran the company with his two sons until his death in 1917, and shortly thereafter the company merged with Slaymaker .

sprecherko

Aug 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is listed in the Padlock Collector as being an E.T. Faim Company all brass lock, but there are no attributions to the PRR. It probably has to do with the history of the company, which was founded in 1879 by the 3 Fraim brothers, Edward, Miller and Parker. Originally known as the Keystone Lock Works. - Edward T (E T) Fraim, Parker K Fraim and Miller W Fraim. Somewhere around 1890, Miller and Parker left the company to venture off into a business of their own, leaving just Edward to run the company, hence the name E.T. Fraim Lock Company. Edward ran the company with his two sons until his death in 1917, and shortly thereafter the company merged with Slaymaker .

last underlined part in incorrect. after ET Fraim died in 1917 his sons took over the company but one was unhappy with his new role and bought into the Slaymaker Lock Co. In 1921 he sold his share of the ET Fraim company to his brother (who with HIS sons continued on until 1955 when they sold out) and bought control of the Slaymaker Lock Company and changed it's name to the Fraim-Slaymaker Lock Company. He then went after what had to be one of ET Fraim's biggest customer the Pennsylvania Railroad and took the business away. In 1930 SR Slaymaker bought back control of the now Fraim-Slaymaker HDWC0 and changed the name back to the Slaymaker Lock Co. His son kept the business going until about 1973 when he sold Slaymaker to American Home Products.

Last edited:

sprecherko

Aug 30, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keystone

The keystone symbol is an official symbol for the state of Pennsylvania and many companies large and small have used it in their company's logo. Both the E.T Fraim Lock Co (Keystone Works, Fraim Brothers) and the Pennsylvania Railroad used the keystone logo but were not affiliated with each other, other than the fact that Fraim sold padlocks and keys to the railroad. To be a Pennsylvania railroad lock the name or PRR needs to be cast, incised or stamped upon the lock.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NOTHING BETTER THAN A OLE LOCK. BUT WAIT ,THERE IS SOMETHING BETTER , AN OLDER LOCK , NICE FIND .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread