Question about an ax head.

funkapotamus

Feb 25, 2012
Placerville, CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have posted this ax head before, not thinking anything of it. I was talking to the landlord today showing him some finds I made on the property. He goes on to tell my he thinks that there was a Chinese camp on some land I have hit yet, and that they cut down all the trees in the area during the gold rush. So now I am curious about this ax head. Anyone have any idea if this is from the mid 1800's to early 1900's. What the best way to clean it up? I can't believe with all the hours online doing research for places to hunt, and I may be sitting right on top on an old Chinese camp.

Attachments

• DSCN0452.JPG
    DSCN0452.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
ax300.jpg This is an ax head from app. 1800. It was found 13" down on a lot with a 200 year old house on it. It is a blacksmith made ax head. It was soaked in water for a week and wire brushed every day. It was then baked dry slowly at low heat. Two coats of rust eating primer were applied followed by four coats of flat black. It is mounted in a black walnut plaque. You could go the sandblast route to clean it. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread