any good places in south central pennsylvania to detect

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Hello all,
I am new to detecting, in fact I'm still researching what machine to get. But I am getting one once I make up my mind.( which is harder than originally thought) Anyways I live in the Harrisburg area, and I was wondering if anybody knows any places that are worthwhile to hunt with a metal detector? Before people start commenting, yes I live near Gettysburg, which you are not allowed to detect in the "battlefield boundaries", even if it's on private property, but is there anywhere else worth hunting... anybody know of anywhere worth looking?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasureNet.
on Derry street in harrisburg there is a Whites Dealer
and in Gettysburg, a Multi line dealer. You should be able to check out different detectors
at both.

once you have one, your best bet is detect your yard, if you have one,
or can get right of way to a Friend or family members yard.
Not only to learn how to detect & recover Properly, but also
odds are better you'll be detecting Fresh unhunted ground.

After that , move on to Parks, etc.& Research

and of course, if your feeling adventurous, Stop down
on the beach in front of Ballys in Atlantic City Saturday
for National Metal Detecting day.
You will probably see almost every brand of detector being used.

It's free to stop by and Look & Ask questions :laughing7:

Minelabbing - Hunt Event - Minelab Americas

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the tips... I didnt know about that place in gettysburg, so i looked it up and i will be going there friday to talk to the sguys at the shop on where to go and maybe buy my detector there.

Thanks again, Ross

WC68

Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Firs,t dont take this the wrong way! You're new and most of us started the same way.

Just a tip, but just asking other relic hunters to put you on a productive site isn't the way relic hunting is usually done. at least never in my experience, but, I guess I nev led! Maybe I should have..lol. . Maybe it happens for others but never for me. I have had an acquaintance give me a tip that paid off, but he didn't collect relics.
Every other thing I've found was from my own research, and or hunches. I've spent MANY more hours researching that swinging a coil, and I actually really enjoy that part, even though it can be frustrating.

I've never ever been on a hunt with another person, although I'd like too. I've never been invited, and I've never invited anyone else...it's weird. Of course, none of my friends are interested, and I just never hooked up with another hobbyist.
I am hoping to change that though. I want to check out my local club, and maybe meet some folks. I think you have to let other people know that you just aren't jumping in the truck with them and riding their coat tails and THEIR hours of research. I would love to share research, and working on permissions with another person. While enjoy the solitude sometimes, I think it would be fun to share in the hunt, and to be honest, it's safer. Especially now that I'm trying to get back into the hobby in a state I didn't grow up in my whole life.

Sorry to be long winded. Just trying to set expectations. Jump into the research, it's fun.
Maps, The Official Records (Cornell's site is good), etc...

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
thanks wc86, I know I won't be able to get many people to get with me as well, but I can't wait to start. I know I gotta do some research, which will be fun I think, as I love all history. I'm excited for the hunt! (I'm hoping it to be like fishing, I have the patience for that, and I feel metal detecting will be similar)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
consider this club http://www.pmhra.org/

Pen Mar Historical Recovery Association has done detecting in Gettysburg
in conjunction with archeologists

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 Pen Mar Historical Recovery Association Meeting
7:00 PM at the National Apple Museum in Biglerville.
Program: Check back for full details of this exciting meeting.

The Pen Mar Historical Recovery Association, which has been meeting bi-monthly since 1980 is a non-profit organization composed of men and women interested in the responsible use of metal detecting as a hobby. Club meetings are normally held at the National Apple Museum in Biglerville on the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Tuesday of every other month. Each meeting includes an excellent speaker, displays of items recently recovered with a metal detector, refreshments, and fellowship. An annual club hunt is held on the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Saturday of October. For more information or a membership application for 2012, contact Don Hinks at Gettysburg Electronics (717) 334-8634 or email [email protected].

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Thanks again Jeff! You have been very helpful! I think i am going to join here in a month or two... Once i get familiar with using the detector.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice to you is to get out, find an interesting looking piece of ground, look up the landowner and ask permission to hunt.
The worst he can do is say no.
Some people find this hard to do.
I say too bad.
Most likely they will be condemned to riding around with their detector in their vehicle and staring longingly at places they will never have the nerve to ask for.
Such people become coin shooters, hunting parks and playgrounds and the like.
Anyplace they can hunt without asking permission.
In the Harrisburg area, aye?
Well you can always try the Paxtang Park area or maybe up around Wildwood lake. Cameron's Lawn in south Harrisburg might be worth a try.
Back that the Lochiel Hotel, just up the street, there used to be a lot of homes standing till Hurricane Agnes in '72 wrecked them.
That would be around 9th and Hemlock.
Study the history.
Many more places.
Good luck.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Thats a good idea... I do have some places.... I am going to ask some people..... How do u go about things you find? Do homeowners let you keep anything.... Or do you try to say you will just split it 50/50ish? Ive just never done this, and i know they are probably dumb questions too many, but we all need to start somewhere..... Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ross

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually the homeowners don't care about possession of the finds.
Usually.
Sometimes they do.
I never show them the really good stuff.
No use planting any seeds.
Sometimes I let the ho-hum finds and clad coins behind for the homeowner or his kids.

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
Hey oldcoon, i am getting a tesoro dibola for my first machine, do you think that will be a good beginner unit that will last me for a few years without outgrowing it?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread