Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

May 2012
    2 times

Best hunting ground

Does anyone know how to find history in a local area or the best hunting areas, I've tried Google and stuff and can't find much research, I know there wasn't much history in southern West Virginia but need help in finding a good spot to start my hobby in metal detection

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    368 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The library

us
    Nov 2008
    North Texas
    Ace 250, AT Pro
    145 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would take a look at HistoricAerials.com. Insert your town and see if they have an old view to compare to a newer photo.

May 2012
    3 times
    I am actually in the same process as you for finding out local history, my local library has recently sold a lot of our older history records to the University. Have you tried your local town/city hall for the records, maps and old business layouts... Worth a try
    HH

May 2012
    2 times
    Well I actually work for our county and their records are kinda vague as far as libraries go and as far as access to the court house not sure how much they would let me research. Have you found any good info, I bought some books just ain't had a chance to look due to work. I've hunted some but not as much as I would like, my job keeps me busy alot.

us
    Aug 2012
    Republic, WA
    Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
    3 times
    I found a lot if info on Google. I just had to vary my Google search a bit and turned up newspapers and govt. reports from as far back as 1890. For where I live that's pretty old, the area was a reservation til they found gold in the 1900-1910 time frame. Try using quotation marks around historic place names in your area, followed by the name of your county without quotes, then choose books on the left side of the Google results page.

us
    Jul 2012
    MA
    Whites DFX w/Sunray probe
    91 times
    Metal Detecting
    I would agree with RFG...Google is great starting point! Think outside the box a little with search terms and check out Google Advanced for boolean searching

us
    Mar 2011
    12 times
    Try the Midland Trail (RT. 60). A little research will show you a billion spots in that area. Particularly in the Big/Little Sewell area. Never hunted there myself, but have done enough research to know those would be good areas if you find a cooperating land owner.

Sponsors