Detecting in WV

sejhorva

May 21, 2012
plenty of history in wv, civil war, hattfield/mccoy.
very old areas. you need to find old camps , community gatering areas.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a hint, some things listed in VA are now in WV. WV came in during the Civil War. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Yeah we was created in 1863 but still have plenty of history, yeah I know about the Hatfield and McCoy died and live about 30 min from most of it happened and devil anse lived, but its been dozed over and flooded with ppl so not much left, guess just meed to do more research

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Yeah I've put in quite a bit of time on the net and trying to find books. Just starting out didn't know really where to start so I figured I would ask you all. Thanks for the info

WC68

Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornell349 said:
Yeah I've put in quite a bit of time on the net and trying to find books. Just starting out didn't know really where to start so I figured I would ask you all. Thanks for the info

I know it seems daunting to start. When I moved to a new state, I was kind of disheartened, that all the research I had done previously was now useless and I'd have to start over, so I quit. I've gotten the fever again, and have realized that a large part of my enjoyment of the hobby is actually the research itself. I still haven't swung a detector in 6+ years, but have been researching for over a month now. I'm just hoping some of the areas I want to hunt, I'll be able to get permission. (my new machine gets here Monday' yay!)

I've mentioned before in another thread, that I've never hunted with anyone else. Not for any particular reason, but it just never happened.

I recently went to a local club meeting for the first time, and not one person offered to take me hunting with them. And, that's ok, i didnt expect them to. I imagine, that if I find a good spot to hunt, that I've researched and gained permission, and invite someone to go, that I'll be asked to go with them in the future. Just conjecture, but I guess that's the way hunting buddy's form. I look forward to it.

Anyway, I kind of got the impression you were wanting someone to offer to take you to one of their "spots" in WV. I think every new MDer does that. I did that. But just don't expect it to happen.

If I were you, I'd first google everything I could about WV CW sites, (like the link I gave you). Then learn all you can about what you find. For example, I know Droop Mountain was a battle. Then I would go to the OR (official records, the other link I posted) and search for Droop Mountain. That should then give you other things to research. Where did troops camp before they fought at Droop? We're did they go after Droop....etc...

Anyway, hope this helps. Embrace the research. It's a hunt within itself. I assure you, you will appreciate the first minnie ball you find much much more if it's at the hands of your own hard work.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks I appreciate the info, I'm not sure hunting with other people just seems like everytime I try the net for research its just like a circle. I like the history side of it just as much if not more I think, I figure I will hunt my local area first before I start out on any major trips, kinda learn the ropes some and my machine so I don't look dumb and dig a bunch of holes like I do now. What kind of machine did you get cause after my first couple times out and hearing a bunch if chatter on mine ans digging everything I'm almost tempted to upgrade already.

WC68

Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cornell349 said:
Thanks I appreciate the info, I'm not sure hunting with other people just seems like everytime I try the net for research its just like a circle. I like the history side of it just as much if not more I think, I figure I will hunt my local area first before I start out on any major trips, kinda learn the ropes some and my machine so I don't look dumb and dig a bunch of holes like I do now. What kind of machine did you get cause after my first couple times out and hearing a bunch if chatter on mine ans digging everything I'm almost tempted to upgrade already.

I've used an MXT in the past, and have an F75 on the way, which apparently is very chatty. Do take time to learn the machine. Knowing when to dig a signal helps, but personally, when relic hunting, I always dug more trash than goods. just part of it. If I'm in a "relic area", which is pretty much all I do, I dig most everything.
Also, digging everything to start helps you learn the machine. There is no book or manual or YouTube video that will teach you more than digging everything, to start.

I've got this new fisher coming and I'm intimidated to be learning a totally new machine, but hey. That's part of it.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks, good to know that most machines are chatty and give you the impression that something is there when its not. Yeah I've dug several big holes and spent 30-45 min just goin around and area where I got one hit on the machine then dug a big hole to reveal nothing but I guess that's part of the learning and half the fun. Everyone has told me give time with this machine and learn the techniques before upgrading to a more expensive detector. The area I'm currently hunting was lived at for the last 100 some yrs by 5 families so I dig everything and have big holes cause I'm afraid of missing something. I've done my research found the old house seat which is gone and now has one built on it and found the old farm field which is grew up with weeds and trees majorly and inaccessible due to the growth. Right now I'm just learning the techniques and when to dig and how much, today I tried a folding shovel from wal mart cause I thought would be handy due to the size, this ended up in a fail cause the shovel bent and didn't work which then I had walk back and get a real one to.which I discovered nothing was there. I guess that's part of the learning and experience and when my pin pointer comes in hopefully it cuts down on the massive holes I dig. You found any good relics?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, get a small shovel, either a transplanting spade (narrow) or a military issue shovel. Those cheap ones aren't made for the type of thing we do. If you are going to detect yards, you will want something much smaller than that, and make sure you leave No sign that you were digging. Second, get on the research. I grew up Very Close to there, and dug many, Many nice items, from Civil War relics to seated coins, large cents, spanish silver coins from the 1700s, etc. WV has a lot to offer in terms of detecting, and it will only give back to you as much as you invest in research and time. Hint: if you can find it with a google search, then five other people have already found it and metal detected the hell out of it. Get off your duff and go to the libraries. Talk to people in person who remember the way things were--and take notes (don't trust your memory). Follow up on leads, get permissions from property owners, and get digging. Time's a wasting, and those relics and coins are waiting just underground.

Buckles

OP
OP
C

cornell349

May 21, 2012
Thanks I appreciate the help, I've been getting books and talking to people that may have information too. Google failed me and i thought about and figured people already hunted it. Where abouts was you hunting in WV, cause I ain't found many people around me that do metal detect

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted all over Southern WV. Lewisburg, Sweet Springs, Greenville, Pence Springs, Pickaway, Gap Mills, Peterstown...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I got lots of great stuff from the area up near Lewisburg, Gap Mills, Union. Civil War relics, large cents and US coins dating back to 1810, etc. Lots of military buttons. Got a nice 1700s 2Reales Spanish Silver near Greenville.

Last edited:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you didn't use Google to research, did you use library?

Libraries, the Official Records of the Civil War, The Rebellion Record, the Tract record books in the courthouses, deeds, wills, diaries, letters, histories of the individual counties, and stories old timers told me.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had everything figured out

Took a while to get going, and figure out what had been detected before and what hadn't. Southern WV is a honey hole. Still lots and lots of good stuff to dig there for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread